5 guys you will be watching close in Spring Practice?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric, let me ask you something. I don't believe I had lucked into finding your site this time last year. Are you able to get some good info from the coaches during spring practice? All the other sites seem to be shut out except when CPJ holds a news conference.

I will update things as much as I can, it won't be every single day but I pass along what I get.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
1. Jabari - the craziest 298lbs I've have seen. Built similar to Mario Edwards of FSU.
You have me intrigued. For those of us who aren't sure what Mario Edwards looks like, anything more you can tell us? I assume you're talking about quality size. Apparently he's carrying this considerable new weight and moving well?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Pretty much all has been said by others, but here are my top 5 "watch for" list:
1. The battle at RG between Shamire Devine and Gary Brown. I think the world of Shamire's potential, but I also hear so much about Brown that it intrigues me.
2. Perhaps even more important that number 1, the battle at BB. CJ and Quaide have quite a void to fill. Either probably has the chance to be more electric, but both will have a major challenge to be as consistent and reliable. Also, will they support each other as faithfully as Zach and Synjin did?

3. Qua Searcy. I think the world of that kid. Amazing things can come in small packages. From what little I have acually seen of him, I just have a gut feel he is going to be really really good.

4. We have good corners, but I am curious to see who steps up at safety. Will Lynn Griffin get moved back? Will Corey take over? Jalen?

5. The DT position. Not only do we need to improve, we need better depth. JHD coming on is an absolute must. I am worried about what happens after him. Kallon? Gamble to DE for sure?
This thread this might be the most enthusiastic response to spring practice since Johnson's first year. It lacks some of the previous years' woe-is-us sort of fearing what is in store but is instead a thread in which all the questions are more in the nature of how much better it can be. (Note when the passing game is mentioned it is how it might get better, not why we need to throw more. Last season on another board I remember after a game in which we put about 40 on the board with almost that many rushing yards a poster lamented that GT needed a "balanced offense".) But I suppose somebody will screw that up. Meanwhile I am going to enjoy it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I do not remember if anyone mentioned Antonio Simmons? I tried to keep my list to five (I am such a rule follower :smuggrin:) but Simmons, who played some last year, (consistently held in fourth quarter Orange Bowl) had crazy sack numbers in high school and seems to have as much speed as Whitehead and Freeman. A year of college conditioning could make him as formidable as anyone we have mentioned on the defensive line.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
image.jpg
image.jpg
You have me intrigued. For those of us who aren't sure what Mario Edwards looks like, anything more you can tell us? I assume you're talking about quality size. Apparently he's carrying this considerable new weight and moving well?

I hate to go on creep mode but do this look like ~300lber to you? From all reports he is moving very well. Here is a pic of Mario Edwards of FSU

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
This is my order based on how I believe the emergence of these guys will affect the team's success in 2015 and how little I already know about them.
1. Leggett - Leggett is 90% likely to be the starting BBack - that's a huge role in the team's success. We had really good players there last year. Laskey just posted pro-day numbers that would've put him among the top 7 RB's at the combine. Synjyn's numbers weren't far off from that. And, they were playing as seniors ... That's a major loss in talent for a very important position. What do we have to replace it? We really don't know anything about Leggett, so this Spring will be the first significant data we will have on him.
2. Brown - That RG spot is arguably the 3rd most impactful position in the offense. Shaq was a huge part of our offense's success last year, so whoever wins that job is going to play a major role in how good we are offensively. I chose Brown as the guy to watch in Spring instead of Shamire because like Leggett, I don't know anything about him and this will be the first data. We've already seen Shamire in games, which is probably more important than seeing him in Spring.
3. Jeune - The WR spot is arguably the 2nd most impactful position in the offense (I'd put QB 1st, then a 3 way tie between WR-BB-OG). We all know how having a major talent at WR impacts this offense's success (Bay Bay, Smelter) and how even a small step down can hurt (Hill, Greene). Will Jeune be more like the former, the latter, or somewhere in between. First significant data.
4. Searcy - While AB seems like it can be a plug-n-play position and probably falls a little lower on the scale of impact, we've also seen how a major talent at this position can carry the team (Godhigh, Orwin). Even though Searcy doesn't remind me of those two and probably won't be our go-to guy in 2015 with Snoddy and Andrews carrying the torch at the position, Searcy seems to be the guy with the most perceived potential vs how little we already know about him. First significant data. You could put Clinton Lynch here for the same reasons.
5. Weimerskirch - Same as Leggett. Could prove to be a vital piece of the puzzle this year.

Also look forward to seeing how Jordan is progressing but he won't make an impact this year (hopefully). The defense is where we will make or lose money this year as always, but I don't see many on that side of the ball making an impact who we don't already know a lot about. And, that's probably a really good thing because it means we've got most of our main pieces back. We've already seen Harrell. We've seen Simmons. The main one I want to see over there is Jalen Johnson because he's been bragged on by the coaches and replacing Isaiah is going to be a pretty significant piece (but not the most significant). JHD is probably the most important piece of the puzzle this year, but we've all seen him play a lot of games already and know him to be a playmaker. The key for him this year isn't spring practice but spring semester. If he doesn't succeed academically, anything he does in spring practice is meaningless. We should send the cheerleaders, band, Buzz, and a big group of fans to his classes, study hall, and dorm room to cheer him on. Same goes for Whitehead.

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
.... JHD is probably the most important piece of the puzzle this year, but we've all seen him play a lot of games already and know him to be a playmaker. The key for him this year isn't spring practice but spring semester. If he doesn't succeed academically, anything he does in spring practice is meaningless. We should send the cheerleaders, band, Buzz, and a big group of fans to his classes, study hall, and dorm room to cheer him on. Same goes for Whitehead.
This might be the single most insightful observation on the thread. The Vaudeville line applies: for duck soup, first you got to get a duck. Him getting eligible is everything. My fingers are crossed not just for the defense, but for a guy who has struggled but stayed with it when others might have packed it in.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I've seen a lot of folks mention Jalen Johnson and that the coaches praised him before. I can't seem to remember any of that and honestly he wasn't someone who I remember standing out during recruiting. What are the thoughts on this guy...player comparison, ceiling, etc?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I've seen a lot of folks mention Jalen Johnson and that the coaches praised him before. I can't seem to remember any of that and honestly he wasn't someone who I remember standing out during recruiting. What are the thoughts on this guy...player comparison, ceiling, etc?

Not a lot of hype on Jalen coming in due a couple of things...he committed to us very early..before his Senior year started...then in the beginning of his Senior year he tore his leg up...he was cleared while on scout team last year and he's told me that he's 100% now.

Jalen is a good ATH and great competitor.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
legget
juene
whitehead
qua
brown
Never saw them play so def curious.
I wanna see the progression of
Devine, Simmons, JHD(don't break my heart)
EE's
Quiede, Harland

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Can tre Jackson play well ( 2nd unit d ) verses starting ol and ab/bb AND not hurt anyone. Not tall but solid as a rock - does he read and react like pj davis? If yes and he plays some this year look out.

Is any AB we have close to Dennis Andrews who will shine in spring. By close mean run the curve on wide pitch like he is riding on motor cycle. Not likely anyone could block as well at this point.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer

He just has to sit out for the season..he will be able to practice per ramblinwreck.com