5 Games in: Observations

Animal02

Banned
Yeah, that is what I am assuming. I am counting this year as a write off already, and then assuming it only takes 2 years to develop the incoming class of linemen... That will be a potential of 3 consecutive losing seasons before we have the right "type" of body that our coaches want/need...
As a fan base, do we just suck it up and give the coaching staff a pass for 3 years?
Three sub .500 season.......nope.....If they don't get over ,500 year three, I doubt there will be a fourth.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
P’nut gets paid a lot of money to come up with the best scheme we can run with the guys we have. Also, if we just focus on OL which is widely understood to be hugely important to the success of football teams by anyone with half a brain, there were OL recruits/players we either ran off, dissuaded from attending, or didn’t effectively convince them to stay on. Perhaps having a few of those guys may have been just what we needed. We took a different path & now there’s a bunch of crying about having a decimated line and the ripple down impact. OK, then you use your QB’s mobility to offset the lack of a reliable pocket. You design more plays that don’t require the full 3 secs to get the ball off. Maybe you put 2 RBs in the backfield to block. Lord knows our ABs/BBs were good blockers so that could have been an easier transition. There’s a lot of different options, but crying about “We don’t have all the pieces I require” sounds like every other failure I’ve run into spouting excuses every step of the way to avoid personal accountability. Yeah it sucks being in charge sometimes because you own the problem, but if you don’t like the heat get out of the kitchen.
Could it possibly be they aren’t here because they didn’t fit the new system and our coaches are thinking about 3-4 years down the road instead of immediately down the road? I think that is what true leaders do. Most people understood that this will take two or so years to get this turned around, because we changed everything on offense. I saw improvement last game. Did you not? I believe your expectations were to high for this season, and if you are expecting a major difference next year you are really going to be upset. As far as not going through reads, please understand that is why Tobias was starting and playing so much. Maybe the rb’s can be used a little more in the backfield for blocking, but right now we have a freshman getting meaningful snaps and learning the offense. Stinks now, but can be beneficial for the future.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No, he was allowing a coach to recruit to his system.

Ok. So TStan acknowledges CPJ was going to retire but didn’t know the exact date. And that he wanted to move away from the TO. So he decides to let his coach tokeep recruiting TO until the end and make the transition as painful as possible.

Makes perfect sense.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok. So TStan acknowledges CPJ was going to retire but didn’t know the exact date. And that he wanted to move away from the TO. So he decides to let his coach tokeep recruiting TO until the end and make the transition as painful as possible.

Makes perfect sense.
Okay buddy, hang in there. This will last a little longer but I think we get better. Try to not get too frustrated with this process. I hate losing too, but we are in this now and there is no turning back.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok, point taken, so I will change the phrase, we can't get the big boy recruits because they can go to those schools and not have to actually go to school.
A couple of weeks ago, some posters were talking about how GT fans come across as "elitist" and many didn't quite understand what they meant. Your comment is the perfect example.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
And fwiw coach Key said it’s easier to recruit at Tech than at Bama.
Come on, we all know this is just hype BS. Unless he means that since there is less competition since those that would go to Bama are typically getting 10 offers and those who would go to GT aren't?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Come on, we all know this is just hype BS. Unless he means that since there is less competition since those that would go to Bama are typically getting 10 offers and those who would go to GT aren't?
Dude he directly said "I have more to offer at Georgia Tech" he talked about better education, it's in the city, you know all the other stuff everyone keeps saying should make Tech a sleeping Giant. They say that until they realize how difficult it is to keep players in class and school. I will agree with you though, it was hype bs.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I get that what Collins is doing is more akin to turning an aircraft carrier than a sports car, but he has to turn it without throwing off the few fans we have left. If it takes 2 to 8 months to meaningfully change a life behavior, I worry what the stands will look like in 2-3 years. Too many will have found something different and more satisfying to do on Saturday afternoons.

Deleted member 2897

Rewatched the game tape again this morning. A few thoughts.

North Carolina was 58% on 3rd down conversions. The #1 team in the country right now season-to-date is 56%. So that was a terrible stat for us and gave them extra scoring chances at our expense.

Adonicas Sanders went to high school by me. Dakereon Joyner was his 4* QB - Sanders caught half of his touchdowns - 20 TDs. Don't sleep on him. He has always reminded me of the more receiver-like version of Clinton Lynch. He just makes plays.

I wish we wouldn't rotate QBs as much as we do. Let Graham develop. He made tons of throws nobody else on the team right now can make.

We had 230 yards of offense in the second half and 22 points. Think about that one for a minute.

I definitely saw a lot of improvement from our offense this game. Still a lot left to go, but with a freshman at QB, that's to be expected. Gotta clean up our drops too. I think you guys will be surprised at how good Howell pans out to be. Other than unibrow Fromm, the rest of the QBs we will face are a pretty big step down.

On defense, I think we need to gamble more and blitz more. Nobody can cover for 5-10 seconds. We can cover well for a 3-5 seconds. So send more people and make them get rid of the ball earlier. Its a risk/reward decision, but I think its our best shot. Play some Belicheck games - swap in 2 more LBs into the DL to disguise who's blitzing and who's dropping back into coverage - send 4 people all on one side. We have to gamble a bit more I think.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not a chance...Chan aka Dan Reeves was garbage on game day. If he stayed for 20 years he would be 0-20 vs Rev Richt . What was his biggest win? 14-10 vs Miami? The Clemson meltdown? He wasted Calvin Johnson and Tashard Choice.
Yes the records fall out to near even but Paul was 10x the game day coach as Gailey.
He beat Notre Dame in South Bend and Auburn at Auburn.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for that. In no way do I think CGC is a bad coach. If you really watch what has been happening within 3 yards of the ball, you will understand all the nitpicking of the small stuff just doesn't matter in the greater context. I'm not going to comment on Lay, nor the rest of the line beyond what I have already said. The kids are playing hard, and mostly smart. That is all you can ask. The injuries along the OL obviously happened in a part of the roster we could least afford, so yes, it has mattered a great deal. With that said, even with zero injuries, we are still in a heap of trouble trying to run this offense with the personnel that started the year on the depth chart (excuse me ATL). I have zero doubt we would be way ahead of where we are now if we were still running the flex-bone on offense, merely because of the role of the OL, but none of that stuff matters now. We have chosen a path. We have to take it. On the bright side, anybody who says we aren't in a better position right now on defense really hasn't been watching. I really like what I see beyond the LOS. If you are unconvinced and want context, just consider a couple facts: we had the ball 13 times on offense and managed to run a total of 52 plays. For you non-math TECHIES that is an average of 4 plays per possession. You try playing defense against 100 hurry-up plays under those conditions and then talk to me. IMHO, if we could have sustained some drives, with or without points, to even up the TOP and total plays, we may have had a decent chance yesterday. We could have done a better job on third down defense obviously, but sustaining drives on O has value for the defense too. It was good to see us score some, but there was no consistency at all.
Throwing the ball every down doesn’t help your TOP when you don’t make first downs.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
We’ve been struggling at the LOS for a few years now. I think CGC will be able to recruit some better athletes and that will help there.

Defensively, I like what I see and I’m confident that we’ll have good defenses in the future.

Offensively, time will tell. I think we tried to do too much too soon. I saw some simplifications against UNC and I think that helped. The team needs a ton of reps and time spent on things which are not fundamental to the offense is misspent time at this stage. The offense will probably won’t look and smooth and fast until about the middle of next season. I think that’ll be how long it takes for the players to be able to stop thinking and just play ball. Patenaude may have to cut all the option plays out of the offense so that the fans can survive until then. Every time an option play fails at least one person in the stands around me rolls their eyes and mutters an unfavorable comment.

Animal02

Banned
I get that what Collins is doing is more akin to turning an aircraft carrier than a sports car, but he has to turn it without throwing off the few fans we have left. If it takes 2 to 8 months to meaningfully change a life behavior, I worry what the stands will look like in 2-3 years. Too many will have found something different and more satisfying to do on Saturday afternoons.
Anyone that thinks recruiting will be great after three sub .500 seasons is nuts

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We have 2 sr that are injured and want to return to play for this staff
Cooper and Lee.

After 3 and 4 years playing here 2 ol - Klock and Eason left - walked of w degrees to just go do something else.
Since those 2 tackle walked away we have been short staffed at a tackle.
Complaining unfair to 2 recruits by cgc who was hiring a staff.

Last edited:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Who is Kevin Wolf? He was listed in the starting line-up at OL.He is a walk-on I assume. So TWO walk-ons start? WOW, just wow

also--Chris Martin was listed as a DT starter.According to final stats he did not register ONE tackle or assist. Sad. We gave up almost 600 yds-sad.

slugboy

Staff member
On defense, I think we need to gamble more and blitz more. Nobody can cover for 5-10 seconds. We can cover well for a 3-5 seconds. So send more people and make them get rid of the ball earlier.

There were times where we sent 5 or 6. They picked it up. Our only sack was on the dropped snap.

I agree we need to blitz more. We need to blitz successfully, which is harder. I don’t have an answer on that.

As a DC, it’s hard to choose between “send three and don’t get penetration” and “send 5 and don’t get penetration”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk