5 Games in: Observations

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Then don’t deal in absolutes. You can’t say we “can’t” get them when we have and not expect to get called out on your BS. You’ve had to change your statement three times now.

He clearly clarified his point after someone chose to pick nits in the point he made. And he clarified it well. Tech has had difficulty matching our rivals talent across both LOS and in overall depth for at least 40 years.

We rarely have more than one all conf player at the LOS in any single year. When we have, good things have followed.

Coleman Rudolph and Marco Coleman. How many other times has this occurred in the last 40 years?

Maybe CGC can do this for us. His coaching job thus far indicates we need 4 all conf across both LOS to just break even.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
He clearly clarified his point after someone chose to pick nits in the point he made. And he clarified it well. Tech has had difficulty matching our rivals talent across both LOS and in overall depth for at least 40 years.

We rarely have more than one all conf player at the LOS in any single year. When we have, good things have followed.

Coleman Rudolph and Marco Coleman. How many other times has this occurred in the last 40 years?

Maybe CGC can do this for us. His coaching job thus far indicates we need 4 all conf across both LOS to just break even.
Then say it’s hard to get top linemen. Saying can’t, which he said, is just plain wrong. That was after saying we don’t even try.

slugboy

Staff member
I’ve seen the assertion a few times that Collins or Stansbury intends for us to outrecruit Bama and UGA. I see a countering assertion that we can keep recruiting like we have been and coach the players up. I think there’s a middle ground, and I think it’s what Collins is aiming for
  1. Recruit in the top 30. Get close enough to the top to be able to make up the difference with other factors.
  2. Have an A+ Strength and Conditioning team to cover that gap
  3. Make sure players know that hard work will get rewarded with playing time, so that you can train and recruit for depth. That’s what ATL is for.
  4. Make sure recruits know that you’ll showcase them for the NFL so that the players with NFL dreams will come here
  5. Solid position coaching so that players develop the skills to elevate their game
We’ve seen 1-4 clearly (we’ve seen arguments around #1). We’ve seen #5 for DBs, which is one of the quicker places for technique coaching to show up. S&C will take longer to catch us up on the lines. QB coaching is taking time to show, partially because Graham wasn’t getting a lot of reps and football study over the winter, spring, and summer. It’s hard for the receivers to look good before the QB does.
OL technique and execution is worrisome right now. Depth and size and injuries are factors, but it’s still bad with those considerations.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’ve seen the assertion a few times that Collins or Stansbury intends for us to outrecruit Bama and UGA. I see a countering assertion that we can keep recruiting like we have been and coach the players up. I think there’s a middle ground, and I think it’s what Collins is aiming for
  1. Recruit in the top 30. Get close enough to the top to be able to make up the difference with other factors.
  3. Make sure players know that hard work will get rewarded with playing time, so that you can train and recruit for depth. That’s what ATL is for.
  4. Make sure recruits know that you’ll showcase them for the NFL so that the players with NFL dreams will come here
  5. Solid position coaching so that players develop the skills to elevate their game
We’ve seen 1-4 clearly (we’ve seen arguments around #1). We’ve seen #5 for DBs, which is one of the quicker places for technique coaching to show up. S&C will take longer to catch us up on the lines. QB coaching is taking time to show, partially because Graham wasn’t getting a lot of reps and football study over the winter, spring, and summer. It’s hard for the receivers to look good before the QB does.
OL technique and execution is worrisome right now. Depth and size and injuries are factors, but it’s still bad with those considerations.

We have only seen hope for 1-5. No actual real results indicating this staff is on course to achieve any of this

And fwiw coach Key said it’s easier to recruit at Tech than at Bama.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
1. We will see where we finish this year. As is, a WR, APB, and DB are bolstering our recruiting ranking. Adding more talent at those positions is always good, but not sure that it addresses the current issues;
2. Taking oily pictures in good lighting is great for Instagram, but need a lot more evidence to suggest we're currently headed in the right direction;
3. ATL has already caused issues and turmoil in the kicking game, and until this game, QB playing time. Not sold on "ATL;" it may cause more problems than it addresses;
4. This offensive style is more "pro-style," but it really only brings us to even with every other school in the conference;
5. We just gave up 376 yards and 4 passing TDs to a true freshman QB who is currently an average at best ACC QB.

Scubapro

Banned
Paul, the savant, and Chan won at the same clip, nearly exact the same win %. If you scrub out the extra fcs teams Paul played, Chan’s fbs win % was a good bit better. Paul has higher highs, and lower lows, with performance trending down. Chan’s teams were consistently average and trending flat.

Additionally, Paul, on average, won less than O’Leary.

It’s a fallacy to say that Paul won more than those guys.
Not a chance...Chan aka Dan Reeves was garbage on game day. If he stayed for 20 years he would be 0-20 vs Rev Richt . What was his biggest win? 14-10 vs Miami? The Clemson meltdown? He wasted Calvin Johnson and Tashard Choice.
Yes the records fall out to near even but Paul was 10x the game day coach as Gailey.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
So this is always the counter point. Oh boy, we got one guy. How come we can't recruit 8 of him. Because that is what UGA, Clemson etc do. I said we can get a few, just not enough.

You're right. We will not out-recruit UGA, Clemson, Bama. We can recruit well enough--especially considering our prime geographic location--to be in the top 2
So this is always the counter point. Oh boy, we got one guy. How come we can't recruit 8 of him. Because that is what UGA, Clemson etc do. I said we can get a few, just not enough.

One thing we “can’t do” is beat Clemson, Kirby’s UGA, and the Bamas of the world doing what we did for the last 11 years. We got straight up manhandled by the teams you mention. Couldn’t stop them. Couldn’t move the ball. Nothing. So we might as well try something that at least gives us a chance.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
Not a chance...Chan aka Dan Reeves was garbage on game day. If he stayed for 20 years he would be 0-20 vs Rev Richt . What was his biggest win? 14-10 vs Miami? The Clemson meltdown? He wasted Calvin Johnson and Tashard Choice.
Yes the records fall out to near even but Paul was 10x the game day coach as Gailey.

Chan’s Xs and Os were trash, but at least he left us some Jimmies and Joes to work with. Even if CGC doesn’t turn out to be a good coach, I hope the guy we hire next is left with talent to work with. Not a shot at CPJ, just my opinion.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Chan’s Xs and Os were trash, but at least he left us some Jimmies and Joes to work with. Even if CGC doesn’t turn out to be a good coach, I hope the guy we hire next is left with talent to work with. Not a shot at CPJ, just my opinion.
Average recruiting class over last 5 years is 49. Over the first 5 games, are we the number 49 team in the country? If not, at what level will we need to recruit to get back to at least the number 49 team in the country?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Kind of interesting. Go on Rivals and take a look at our 2020 class. Take a look at each O linemen and D lineman and look at where there offers are coming from. a couple have UGA and one has Auburn, but for the most part they are G5 Lineman. Now I am not saying that they aren't good and maybe overlooked, or that they can't be coached up. I am just saying we are not our there trying to get big boy recruits from Clemson, UGA etc.
We have rolled the dice on some of our OL this year because the staff knows it is a huge need. Some of the guys are sort of project players. Like the 6’7 OL we took, he’s going to have to gain 20-30 pounds before he will see the field. The two lineman we have taken with Multiple P5 Offers (Rankins 6’5 285 G/T and Williams 6’6 303 T) are the most college ready and have the best chance to play right away. I think we have addressed our need for Depth and Size for OL this offseason. One thing to be excited about is the average of our OL commits height and weight is 6’4 284. We are trying desperately to upgrade the size at the position.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
Average recruiting class over last 5 years is 49. Over the first 5 games, are we the number 49 team in the country? If not, at what level will we need to recruit to get back to at least the number 49 team in the country?

Good point. For a pro-style or spread offense, our avg recruiting class over the last 5 is a lot worse than 49. My hope is to see more Dwyers, Burnetts, Morgans, D. Thomases, Anthony Allens, Vance Walkers—the caliber of players that we frankly have not seen since those guys graced GT campus. I think we have Top 25 recruiting potential. Pair that with good coaching and we can be dangerous.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
We have rolled the dice on some of our OL this year because the staff knows it is a huge need. Some of the guys are sort of project players. Like the 6’7 OL we took, he’s going to have to gain 20-30 pounds before he will see the field. The two lineman we have taken with Multiple P5 Offers (Rankins 6’5 285 G/T and Williams 6’6 303 T) are the most college ready and have the best chance to play right away. I think we have addressed our need for Depth and Size for OL this offseason. One thing to be excited about is the average of our OL commits height and weight is 6’4 284. We are trying desperately to upgrade the size at the position.

I think they gonna take one more.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
@TheFlyest Why are you making up fake quotes? I would never say "Man O' man." Also, you might want to take a look at the number of games played before touting Howell.

Last edited:

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Man o’ man, the guy is literally leading the ACC in passing and was doing so before the game.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/player/_/id/1/acc-conference
Setting aside the fact that you haven't accounted for the number of attempts, simple math proves that the second half of your statement is incorrect. Coming into this week Howell had 1,168 yards passing, Newman had 1,521. Newman did not play this week and has played in one less game than Howell this year due to a bye week. Moreover, Newman is averaging over 1 yard more per attempt than Howell. Sure, Howell throws more than everyone else, but it doesn't mean he is a better passer. Feel free to continue stating incorrect information and calling responses "asinine," I'm not going to stop you.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Boomer, thanks for posting and not saying cgc is a bad coach. Maybe this will slow the all the time negative nancies down.

Could u comment on the ol play of the walk on center Lay.? I thought he did real well in the second half of unc.
Dont u think the injuries to the ol have caused a lot of our early issues?

Now that the agony of losing to citadel is a numb feeling, doesnt experience make the 14 orange bowl victory so much sweeter. Playing a well disciplined option team is a Bxxxx .

Animal02

Banned
You're right. We will not out-recruit UGA, Clemson, Bama. We can recruit well enough--especially considering our prime geographic location--to be in the top 2

One thing we “can’t do” is beat Clemson, Kirby’s UGA, and the Bamas of the world doing what we did for the last 11 years. We got straight up manhandled by the teams you mention. Couldn’t stop them. Couldn’t move the ball. Nothing. So we might as well try something that at least gives us a chance.
The manhandling only came in the last few years as UGA and Clemp have spent money like drunken sailors to buy championships. Hell out low year of 15 we lost to UGA by one score.