2024 Season

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great post, thanks for the examples. I'll take a shot at answering, but can't say I'll be 100% on this. Sorry for really long post.

#1, remember my basic RPI comment, which is that RPI is just math. It doesn't have an agenda or a bias, it's just math. The formula is (Win%*0.25)+(OppWin%*0.5)+OppOppWin%*0.25). The win% aren't just the standard (in our case) 24/38=0.632, but rather home wins are discounted by a 0.7 multiplier and road wins are inflated by a 1.3 multiplier. Mathematically this causes problems because a win by the home team results in a combined record for the two teams of 0.7 wins and 0.7 losses = 1.4 games played while a win by the road team is 1.3 wins +1.3 losses = 2.6 games played. If at the end of the season the win% of the home team is not exactly .500 then the total number of apparent games played at the end of the season will not equal the total number of games actually played. That is my main complaint about the formula.

To your question about what matters more, the answer is #2, #3, and opponents win %. #1 is totally irrelevant, RPI isn't aware conferences even exist. #4 is an output from the RPI formula, not an input.

To your examples....

San Diego: They have a better basic record than us (26-12 v 24-14), but more importantly they have played 24 of 38 games on the road. And they have done well in those 24 games, so their adjusted record is a really good 27.5-10.2. In essence, take 1 or 2 of their losses and make them wins just because they have played a bunch of true road games. Our adjusted record is 21.0-13.7, or in other words take 3 of our wins at random and pretend they never happened as a penalty for us playing over 60% of our games at home.

Notre Dame: As San Diego does, they take advantage of the road win inflation, also playing 24 of their games on the road. They haven't been quite as successful, but that does adjust their record to 20.0 - 15.0, so randomly toss out 3 of their losses. Our adjusted record is still a game better than theirs. Of the top 7 teams in the ACC they have played 5 (going 0-15), whereas we have played 4, so I have to assume that this paired with playing most of their non-conference games on the road help them in the calculation.

Auburn: Just what you said, play a really tough schedule and get credited for at least winning a couple of them. They have played RPI #1, #2, #3, and #6, posting a 2-10 record in those games. I agree with you that there shouldn't be any such thing as a good loss, but since 75% of the formula is not about you but rather your opponent, they are taking advantage of this. Over time and enough games this should even out, but a 60 game college schedule may not be enough for that to happen. Still, to my knowledge no SEC team has made the NCAA tournament without making the SEC tournament, so I think they will be left out unless they can rally in the next month.

Ohio St: See the explanation above about road win inflation, their adjusted record is 19.6-15.2, basically the same as Notre Dame. They also managed to avoid scheduling the REALLY, REALLY BAD teams. They only have 1 game against sub-200 RPI schools (Cal St - Fullerton!!!!) and only 2 other games against sub-150 RPI teams. IOW, nearly all their games have been against schools respected by the RPI. By comparison, we have played 8 games against sub-200 schools and 3 more against sub-150 RPI schools.

Kennesaw State: They also take advantage of the road win inflation. Their adjusted record is 23.2-13.6, which is 2 full wins better than ours. Plus they took a series @ Kentucky. That is probably the single biggest series win by any school in the country this year.

If we go 6-6 the rest of the way, yes, I expect our RPI will rise unless we couple that with losing all our mid-week games and get swept in the ACC tourney.

My advice to Coach Hall for next season would be to #1, avoid scheduling 3 schools the caliber of Youngstown St, Radford, and Cornell. One is probably OK, but not three. #2, look for a way to schedule one of the pre-conference weekend series on the road. I'm not sure exactly how to do this, and it may not work financially, but what if we played an early season series at Troy or App State or Western Carolina. Schools we should be able to beat, but that would not kill our RPI and would give us some road inflated wins.

Great post. In answer to everyone's bitching about RPI, it's the game within the game. Schedule games with RPI in mind if you want better seeding. ***** about if you don't. But our OOC scheduling this year was incompetent from an RPI POV.

Concerning our end of season RPI, I turn to WarrenNolan since they have an algorithm based approach which is as good as anything, especially with our bipolar chaos driven team. There are many different possibilities. I think if we end up with a winning ACC schedule, we'll end up with an RPI of about 35 (definitely <45) and be in as a low seed. That is based on the Warren Nolan prediction below. Remember that past games count as much as future games in that the teams we played final rankings are what will matter. So we root for everyone (except uGag) that we have played.

Here's the Warren Nolan prediction where we end up 13-17 ACC with an RPI of 44. Thus going 16-14 ACC the RPI will be better. (Note projection changes all the time but here is the link https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2024/team-predict-schedule?team=Georgia-Tech ) (Also note that if you go to NC State predicted results, they are predicted to end up with 42 RPI; they finish better and our RPI is better.)
1713965448773.png

And here is the prediction for remaining games which the W/L is reasonable to me but the scores aren't. There will probably be more scoring.
1713965551970.png

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Again, from D1

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-24-09-55-28-79_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-24-09-55-28-79_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 39

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Updated, now predicted 15-15
View attachment 16035

Thanks. Perfectly shows point that IFF we go 500 in ACC we have 32 RPI (probably) and are in the NCAAT. (Not considering ACCT.) We control our destiny, it's just a hard one coming up.

The Warren Nolan rankings are probably so unstable since we are seeing the current predictions as they update their algorithm with last night's data ..... just a guess. But at one point this morning we were predicted to go 16-14 ACC.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Great post. In answer to everyone's bitching about RPI, it's the game within the game. Schedule games with RPI in mind if you want better seeding. ***** about if you don't. But our OOC scheduling this year was incompetent from an RPI POV.

Concerning our end of season RPI, I turn to WarrenNolan since they have an algorithm based approach which is as good as anything, especially with our bipolar chaos driven team. There are many different possibilities. I think if we end up with a winning ACC schedule, we'll end up with an RPI of about 35 (definitely <45) and be in as a low seed. That is based on the Warren Nolan prediction below. Remember that past games count as much as future games in that the teams we played final rankings are what will matter. So we root for everyone (except uGag) that we have played.

Here's the Warren Nolan prediction where we end up 13-17 ACC with an RPI of 44. Thus going 16-14 ACC the RPI will be better. (Note projection changes all the time but here is the link https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2024/team-predict-schedule?team=Georgia-Tech ) (Also note that if you go to NC State predicted results, they are predicted to end up with 42 RPI; they finish better and our RPI is better.)
View attachment 16032

And here is the prediction for remaining games which the W/L is reasonable to me but the scores aren't. There will probably be more scoring.
View attachment 16033
Haha. So we take one game each AT Clem’s Son and F$U, but we get swept at home by Dook?????

The road to 16-14 (or even 15-15) is tenuous at best and there is no room for the inconsistencies that we have shown all season long (except, encouragingly, the last 4 games). I haven’t picked a series win total right for an ACC opponent yet and probably won’t, but if we make it and I were picking our path I would have us sweeping Miami (not likely & as many have pointed out, really hard to sweep an ACC opponent (although not so much this year)), 2 of 3 from Dook, and then if we can take 1 each from Clem and FSU we get to 16-14. Any way you slice it, we have little margin for error or inconsistency.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Below is Massey's simulation for rest of regular season (14 games remain). Says we'll be right at .500 rest of the way. That includes the 2 remaining ooc games (Auburn & Mercer).

Here are his % chance of winning v each opponent.
Miami 53%
Clemson 40%
Auburn 54%
Duke 47%
Mercer 73%
FSU 42%

Aaron Fitt restated on their podcast today ... he believes that a 14-16 ACC team will get in. He didn't seem to care which team... just his opinion on the threshold for any bubble ACC team. I'd rather Ga Tech not test that.

ETA... can't seem to add picture right now.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Below is Massey's simulation for rest of regular season (14 games remain). Says we'll be right at .500 rest of the way. That includes the 2 remaining ooc games (Auburn & Mercer).

Here are his % chance of winning v each opponent.
Miami 53%
Clemson 40%
Auburn 54%
Duke 47%
Mercer 73%
FSU 42%

Aaron Fitt restated on their podcast today ... he believes that a 14-16 ACC team will get in. He didn't seem to care which team... just his opinion on the threshold for any bubble ACC team. I'd rather Ga Tech not test that.

ETA... can't seem to add picture right now.

There won't be a 14-16 ACC team after the ACCT. The ACCT will probably be the decider for a team or two. Aaron Fitt has over rated us many times in the past and is probably a bit gun shy with us. But his opinion is valuable since he knows far more about the other non-ACC teams than probably anyone else on the board. And ranking is all relative. I think our team today transported back 20 years in time would easily be near the top of the ACC then. So I like his belief that the ACC will have a sub 500 conference team. I suppose he thinks the same for the SEC since they have a higher overall RPI than the ACC.

Taking the average of the 4 remaining series, I get a 45.5% average. Times the 12 games is 5.5 wins and 6.5 losses. So just about 50% depending on how things go till the ACCT. The great thing is that we look assured of making the ACCT with 4 teams substantially behind us.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
D1Baseball's Field of 64 Projections had:

LAST FOUR IN: Georgia Tech, Illinois, Texas, Louisiana Tech
FIRST FOUR OUT: Xavier, TCU, Creighton, Ole Miss

We've now made last 4 in. Need to keep winning.
They have us in Coastal Carolina's bracket as the #3 seed. The mutts are the #2 seed.

Honestly? Bring it. We owe them one. We could totally make it out of that regional.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not real big on calling out a little bending of the rules since I assume many do so, nor am I 100% convinced there is anything to this, but since it is UGa, why not spread a little gossip. See the linked YouTube video from the baseball account Jomboy alleging UGa's pitcher Mracna with using a little sticky stuff Saturday night. Warning, NSFW language at the end.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I'm not real big on calling out a little bending of the rules since I assume many do so, nor am I 100% convinced there is anything to this, but since it is UGa, why not spread a little gossip. See the linked YouTube video from the baseball account Jomboy alleging UGa's pitcher Mracna with using a little sticky stuff Saturday night. Warning, NSFW language at the end.

I just came here to post this same link!

nor am I 100% convinced there is anything to this
Considering the problems the MLB had with sticky substances last year, I am 100% convinced the player was adding something to the ball. I do also agree that there is a good chance a good number of teams/players take part in this.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow

Considering the problems the MLB had with sticky substances last year, I am 100% convinced the player was adding something to the ball. I do also agree that there is a good chance a good number of teams/players take part in this.
And since UGa's coach is a former MLB pitching coach from just a few years back, I'm sure he's well versed in how to properly mix, apply, and take advantage of the sticky stuff.

I love some good gossip when it's at UGa's expense!

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck

I think there is probably a good chance that a good number of SEC teams cheat like that. Only have to go back a couple years when Tennessee was caught using illegal bats. If there is cheating going on you can bet the SEC is at the forefront. However, I am not as convinced a good number of teams outside the SEC do it. I wonder if next weekend the ump is called out to the mound at a critical juncture of the game to check his glove. And if that is all over the internet, and yes it appears to obvious he was applying a foreign substance, why haven't we heard of any investigation by the league. What I didn't notice from the video is if he touched his glove like that without the ball being changed out. Or what happened to the ball at the end of the first inning he pitched? Wouldn't it be a little sticky? Or does the substance stay on the fingers and not get rubbed off on the ball?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think there is probably a good chance that a good number of SEC teams cheat like that. Only have to go back a couple years when Tennessee was caught using illegal bats. If there is cheating going on you can bet the SEC is at the forefront. However, I am not as convinced a good number of teams outside the SEC do it. I wonder if next weekend the ump is called out to the mound at a critical juncture of the game to check his glove. And if that is all over the internet, and yes it appears to obvious he was applying a foreign substance, why haven't we heard of any investigation by the league. What I didn't notice from the video is if he touched his glove like that without the ball being changed out. Or what happened to the ball at the end of the first inning he pitched? Wouldn't it be a little sticky? Or does the substance stay on the fingers and not get rubbed off on the ball?

Clempy is SEC wanna be. Wonder how they have the best ERA in the ACC?