2024 Season

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm reminded of the parent (me) .... telling my child warning my child "...if you do that one more time..." but having no plan if they actually do that one more time.

Yeah, like they are actually going to hold a team out for cancelling a game. That'll be a cold day... Why not fix the process of determining RPI instead of threatening to punish teams trying to improve their odds of getting in. You're the one who created this monster of "RPI over everything" and now you get to reap what you sowed. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

Last edited:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
How I've been all week without a midweek game
1714608954735.png

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
A great example of how important scheduling is regarding RPI. Of the schools who were in the top 50 RPI going into yesterday, who do you think took the biggest drop based on yesterday's outcomes? Was it our team losing to the SEC cellar dweller at home? No, it was our friends up in Raleigh who took a 7 spot hit after defeating Norfolk State (RPI 301) 18-0 at home.

Lesson learned: You CANNOT schedule schools like Norfolk State, Youngstown State (4 games!!!), etc. unless you are confident that your team is a clear tournament team and not anywhere near the bubble.

ETA: Actually St. John's took the biggest hit, a 9 spot drop after losing at home to RPI 262 Farleigh Dickinson.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Auburn is 44 in RPI (this is the head scratcher)
Overall record- 19-20
2-16 Sec
SOS 2

My point is what really matters....So auburn gets credit for a losing record and a horrendous Sec record because of SOS at 2 so I guess winning isn't the most important stat for RPI. Tech has a brutal schedule for football, will it matter if they can't win the games....
Unfortunately, this is now less of a headscratcher.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I'm looking at the ACC standings, and am scratching my head. I figured we'd be an 8, 9, 10 seed in the ACC tournament. But if you really look at the standings and the games left to be played, we have a legitimate shot to get to a #3 or #4, unless I'm just delerious. I had the teams with the following seeds as of yesterday (records updated based on tonight's results so far, but seeds not):

#3 FSU 14-10
#4 Duke 14-11
#5 UVA 14-10
#6 NC State 13-10
#7 Virginia Tech 13-11
#8 Louisville 13-12
#9 Wake Forest 13-12
#10 GT 13-12

There is a 1.5 game difference between the #3 seed and the #10 seed.

At the time that I type this, Miami and VT are tied at 6 in B8. Let's go Miami! NC State has a 5-3 lead over Virginia in T8. Since that series is at UVA, let's go Wolfpack!

5 games left for GT, and I think we could be a #3 seed in the ACC tournament or a #10 seed. Just need to keep winning.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm looking at the ACC standings, and am scratching my head. I figured we'd be an 8, 9, 10 seed in the ACC tournament. But if you really look at the standings and the games left to be played, we have a legitimate shot to get to a #3 or #4, unless I'm just delerious. I had the teams with the following seeds as of yesterday (records updated based on tonight's results so far, but seeds not):

#3 FSU 14-10
#4 Duke 14-11
#5 UVA 14-10
#6 NC State 13-10
#7 Virginia Tech 13-11
#8 Louisville 13-12
#9 Wake Forest 13-12
#10 GT 13-12

There is a 1.5 game difference between the #3 seed and the #10 seed.

At the time that I type this, Miami and VT are tied at 6 in B8. Let's go Miami! NC State has a 5-3 lead over Virginia in T8. Since that series is at UVA, let's go Wolfpack!

5 games left for GT, and I think we could be a #3 seed in the ACC tournament or a #10 seed. Just need to keep winning.
Wiley and Colin were discussing this during the game today. There's North Carolina and Clemson, then a group of 8 teams that are basically tied, then the 4 bottom feeders. The ACC is pretty good but also really balanced this year. If we had just not laid such a huge egg the last weekend in March against BC this team would be in really good shape. But alas, we did lay that egg.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Wiley and Colin were discussing this during the game today. There's North Carolina and Clemson, then a group of 8 teams that are basically tied, then the 4 bottom feeders. The ACC is pretty good but also really balanced this year. If we had just not laid such a huge egg the last weekend in March against BC this team would be in really good shape. But alas, we did lay that egg.
The fact that we could roll into the tournament with one of the top 4 seeds is nuts. It's good to be reminded of the bigger picture - lots of imperfect teams.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
The fact that we could roll into the tournament with one of the top 4 seeds is nuts. It's good to be reminded of the bigger picture - lots of imperfect teams.
As we've discussed before, offensive numbers are really up this year in the ACC. From listening to podcasts I think that is true across the country, but I've only seen the numbers for the ACC. Theories I've heard include:

1) Older players from the extra Covid year (one of the Duke players, Bravo, I think, will be turning 25 next month!!!)
2) The ball is juiced
3) Umpires are squeezing the strike zone due to how Trackman calls the zone and that is how they are now graded

Our pitching still has a lot of room for improvement, though.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
As we've discussed before, offensive numbers are really up this year in the ACC. From listening to podcasts I think that is true across the country, but I've only seen the numbers for the ACC. Theories I've heard include:

1) Older players from the extra Covid year (one of the Duke players, Bravo, I think, will be turning 25 next month!!!)
2) The ball is juiced
3) Umpires are squeezing the strike zone due to how Trackman calls the zone and that is how they are now graded

Our pitching still has a lot of room for improvement, though.
It is frustrating at times watching these games on TV because rarely does the camera line up directly with home plate. Because of that, pitches often look like they are over the plate but are actually a ball because of the TV camera angle. And you can never depend on the home crowd to give you proper feedback because they will always think anything close is a strike. Yesterday Moranda commented that they have the trackman data up in their booth so on a couple occasions he indicated the ump got the call correct. It would be nice if they were able to show trackman as part of a replay but I'm guessing the league office has a rule against that because they don't want to start a Holy War between the umps and everyone else. I'm sure all the coaches in the league are aware of which umps are more accurate. Ultimately we just want the umps to be consistent with their strike zone. I have always hated how they have a tendency to squeeze the zone on pitchers that are struggling to throw strikes to the point they pretty much have to throw it down the middle to get a strike call.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Fuhget about it (as they say in NY). This team doesn’t have the pitching to worry about that kind of thing..
Correct

The last team that had championship level of pitching (acc, regionals, etc) was 2019 and the coaching blew that opportunity

This team is good. Will make a regional as a 3 seed especially if they win today but when you look at the upper echelon of the acc they have lots of quality and high leverage arms.

You win tournaments with pitching and defense not caveman baseball

We scored 10 runs at home yesterday and lost by 4. We were up 6-1 and you felt nervous. If you claim you weren’t, I think your understating that.

Wasn’t even upset about yesterday’s result. I was actually happy they got off to a 6-1 lead cause I felt then they had a chance. I try to be positive. I really do. I’m heading to the rusty c after Mother’s Day brunch and I’ll be there with hope and optimism but this 30+ year fan of tech baseball has resigned himself to bubble status and a regional appearance

Most teams in the acc have 2+ pitchers that throw 94+

We have one

imo-this is the biggest area of frustration I’ve had with the current staff. It isn’t lack of recruiting pitching talent. It’s the development part that is sorely lacking through the years whereas it is the complete opposite over the offense.

I’m very pleased so far with Matt Taylor but it’ll take time to truly see how effective he is

When you have Zach M with the reds listed as the 12th best overall prospect and he is listed as a bullpen flame thrower…how does he not have extraordinary success at tech

X Curry and C Thomas are both near mlb rosters

Marquis Jr is in the minors

Last edited: