2024 Season

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean, credit where credit is due. Hall had a very good first 15 years, an OK second 15 years and significantly improved our facilities. However, the program just seems to have become very stale.
I'm trying to hold-off on too many comments on this topic until I'm convinced the season is over, but I think this is 100% correct. It is time for a change, IMO.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean, credit where credit is due. Hall had a very good first 15 years, an OK second 15 years and significantly improved our facilities. However, the program just seems to have become very stale.
I think ADJB was focused on fixing the revenue sports first as football was bleeding profusely and basketball wasn't too far behind. Now that those two have been fixed for the time being, he can afford to turn his attention to a non-revenue sport. He shouldn't have too hard of a time finding a good coach that wants to come here IMO

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I know you said "give it a break", so forgive me, but this is really interesting to me....

Ole Miss' #30 OOC RPI, guess who they played on non-conference weekends...

Hawaii, High Point, Iowa, and Morehead St.

As we said about another team over the weekend, not exactly a murderer's row. None even close to UGa. None in the conversation for making the NCAA tournament as an at-large. BUT, none even close to our three sub 200 RPI foes.

TL;DR, Schedule building really is a science. It's not about scheduling all the top teams, but rather scheduling teams that are slightly outside the NCAA tournament cutoff point, teams that a NCAA tourney team should still beat, and avoid scheduling any really bad teams.
What are you trying to say? All of those teams have winning records. Hawaii is 30-16, High Point is 31-25, Iowa is 29-23 and has a winning record in B1G play, and Morehead State is 33-22. They went 9-4 against those teams.

And weekday games count just as much toward RPI as weekend ones. Ole Miss scheduled Southern Miss (a good team) twice during the week and played an extra OOC game against Miss St. In addition to a few bad teams too.

Meanwhile our weekend OOC opponents are 16-34, 17-21, 39-15 (UGA; we got swept), and 12-42. We are 1-5 against OOC top RPI 100 opponents.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we do scratch out a bid but getting run ruled today and going 0-2 in acc tournament just flat has taken everything out of me.

If we do actually get a regional bid, I have no doubts we will be two and done.

There is just no life in this program....

Lots of talent but little direction. A good coach motivates, improves, and encourages their players. I just don't see that anymore with the figurehead.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
What are you trying to say? All of those teams have winning records. Hawaii is 30-16, High Point is 31-25, Iowa is 29-23 and has a winning record in B1G play, and Morehead State is 33-22. They went 9-4 against those teams.

And weekday games count just as much toward RPI as weekend ones. Ole Miss scheduled Southern Miss (a good team) twice during the week and played an extra OOC game against Miss St. In addition to a few bad teams too.

Meanwhile our weekend OOC opponents are 16-34, 17-21, 39-15 (UGA; we got swept), and 12-42. We are 1-5 against OOC top RPI 100 opponents.
No agenda on my part, if that's what you're asking. I'm trying to say exactly what I wrote after the TL;DR. To state it differently, those of us who are saying we need to schedule better OOC aren't saying that we have to schedule UGa, Florida, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt for the four non-conference weekends. A good non-conference schedule can (and should) include two or three weekends against teams who no one would call tough, but yet are not complete doormats.

"We are 1-5 against OOC top RPI 100 opponents." - Actually 3-5, but that's still not great. Ole Miss was 5-5, as a comparison.

"And weekday games count just as much toward RPI as weekend ones." - True, but I focus on weekends cause that is where Hall has some flexibility. His mid-week schedule is essentially handed to him unless you want him to duck the in-state schools. There is room for 12 mid-week games, and 8 of those are given as Kennessaw St, Georgia St, Mercer, and Georgia Southern. The other 4, IMO, he did fine with Auburn (2X), Northeastern (RPI ~30), and Presbyterian (good team, bad RPI). TBH, that's probably one of the toughest mid-week schedules you'll find.

Last edited:

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Medicore last 15. Under .500 10-12 years in the bell cow part of the schedule.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
"And weekday games count just as much toward RPI as weekend ones." - True, but I focus on weekends cause that is where Hall has some flexibility. His mid-week schedule is essentially handed to him unless you want him to duck the in-state schools. There is room for 12 mid-week games, and 8 of those are given as Kennessaw St, Georgia St, Mercer, and Georgia Southern. The other 4, IMO, he did fine with Auburn (2X), Northeastern (RPI ~30), and Presbyterian (good team, bad RPI). TBH, that's probably one of the toughest mid-week schedules you'll find.
That last sentence ("TBH, that's probably one of the toughest mid-week schedules you'll find.") spurred my interest. I looked at just the mid-week schedules of the top 15 SoS schools, and confirmed the statement. We do play a tougher mid-week than any of those 15. It looks like Xavier's mid-week is essentially the same as ours from a difficulty POV. Summary: mid-week scheduling and performance in those games isn't an issue with this team.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
OK, here is my ranking of bubble teams now. The SEC tourney (suspiciously) has had every game go to the lower or equal seed, so I'm gonna say that they get at least 10 spots in the NCAA. Therefore I'm removing Alabama, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and LSU from the list, they are in the tourney. That leaves 10 spots available. Charleston and Indiana have moved into the driver's seat of their conference tourneys, so I'm putting them at the top of the bubble list to show they are likely in with an auto-bid.

Right this second I have the Jackets as the last team in, but there are several schools around us who are still playing. Assuming you want the Jackets to make the NCAA tourney we need to root against these schools. Also it will be important to know how the committee views the ACC v SEC & RPI. Would they give the SEC 11 spots and the ACC only 7 spots? I'm guessing no, but it is possible.

1) Charleston <-- Conference tourney driver’s seat
2) Indiana <-- Conference tourney driver’s seat
3) Coastal Carolina
4) Central Florida <-- 1-0 so far, play tomorrow night @ 8:30
5) Kansas St <-- play TCU tomorrow @ 10 AM in elimination game
6) TCU <-- play Kansas St tomorrow @ 10 AM in elimination game
7) UNC-Wilmington <-- Play Delaware tomorrow night @ 7 in their 1st game
8) James Madison <-- Trailing Georgia Southern 6-2 in 4th inning of their 1st game
9) Troy <-- 1-0 so far, play Southern Miss tomorrow @ 5 PM in a winner's bracket game
10) Georgia Tech <-- Done, painfully so
---------------CUTOFF LINE -----------------
11) Florida <-- Done, if UGa would've beat them last weekend that would've helped a ton
12) Xavier <-- Tied w/ UConn 2-2 Top 6th. Really important game, we need a UConn win.
13) East Tennessee St <-- Play their 1st game tomorrow night @ 7 PM, probably v Mercer
14) California <-- 1-0 so far, play Arizona tomorrow night @ 10 PM
15) Ohio St <-- 1-0 so far, play Indiana tomorrow @ 3 PM in a winner's bracket game
16) Louisville <-- 0-1 so far, don't play again until Friday
17) Cincinnati <-- 1-1 so far, play tomorrow @ 5 PM
18) St. John’s <-- 1-0 so far, play UConn/Xavier winner tomorrow night @ 6:30
19) Wofford <-- 1-0 so far, play Western Carolina tomorrow @ 3 PM
20) Portland <-- play their 1st game tomorrow night @ 10 PM
21) Lamar <-- 0-1 so far to fall out of driver's seat, play Northwestern St. tomorrow morning @ 10 AM.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Oops, I somehow missed that Indiana St. lost their MVC opener today. If they can't come back through the loser's bracket that would be a stolen bid. Based on this I am now inserting Murray St. into the #3 spot above and pushing everyone down a spot. This means I now have us as the 1st team out, with Troy as the last team in.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Georgia Southern did us a solid and beat James Madison last night. IMO this moves James Madison to the bad side of the bubble and moves us back up to the "last team in" spot. Still a lot of ball to play, as shown above. The UConn/Xavier game was suspended in the 6th, so I assume that game will re-start this AM. This appears to be a huge game as far as our chances go for making the tournament.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
We still have a chance... One of the last ones in, in this projection.

“Georgia Tech finishes with 14 Quad 1 and Quad 2 wins in the RPI, ranking top 25 nationally.”

If Georgia Tech makes the Field of 64, the above statement may turn out to be the determining factor.