2024 Season

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We continue to [mostly] talk past each other on this. I'm arguing RPI is bad and should not be used or tweaked or only be a very small part of the equation when comparing teams when someone (the committee) needs to compare teams. You keep coming back to IIWII and this year our staff let us down by scheduling soft. Nobody seems to know why we scheduled soft; but the consensus seems to be because they suck at their jobs. I have a hard time going there.
Could it be that it pads the win column for the head coach?

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, that OOC SoS is important is something someone should let our coaching staff know.

Defense rests.

Everyone who has predicted this is past years has been wrong. But I admire consistency.

GT down 0-4 going B2, I'd expect UVa pitcher gets pulled soon but he's out there. Our program is on the ropes, but we are used to that.
Timely hits.....11 LOB yesterday, 2 more so far today.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, shows how little I know
If you're trying to win the tournament... pitchers that go today are available Sat and/or Sun. Granted... this game's outcome is not important for that. Pitchers that go on Friday (v FSU) would most likely be done for the tournament. Also UVA is not a lock to host... winning 3 or 4 this week would lock them in, I think.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I've not seen or heard anything that would lead me to believe that CFDH is scheduling to pad his win totals. Nor do I think he is ignorant on the topic. My gut feel on the scheduling issue is that it is one of the following (listed in order of probability in my mind):

1) Hall wants to "help out" those programs from up north that need scheduling partners.
2) With a mostly new roster Hall wanted to give them a chance to gel before conference play started.
3) To get the prime RPI opponents to come to your place you have to dangle some cash in front of them, and we haven't done that (I could be totally wrong, I don't know if this is even a thing, but wouldn't surprise me).

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep... so far this week... this is the worst-case scenario. Not good. I was bullish on the outcome in the ACCT not really mattering... but this kind of showing might be hard to ignore (in the way bad way).

Assuming there is no miracle here... we're hoping Pitt or Miami don't win it all AND the committee cares very little about what Ga Tech has done in this tournament.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Updating my table with today's results....

Root for (or against):
East Carolina in AAC tournament <-- East Carolina won their opener
Indiana St in Missouri Valley tournament <-- Starts tomorrow
San Diego over Portland in West Coast tournament <-- Starts Thursday
Lamar in Southland tournament <-- Starts tomorrow......

Awww, nevermind, it no longer matters. :( :mad::confused:

:geek::geek::geek:

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is crazy. D1 has 305 teams in it. RPI math after a full season is played... says one of them (Ole Miss) is a top 35 team (top 12%) with a winning percentage of 0.482. There are close to 160 teams with better winning percentages.

Your Honor.... the prosecution rests.
Ole Miss is 16-9 OOC with a 30th ranked OOC SOS. We are 16-6 OOC with a 215th ranked OOC SOS. They have a 0.353 winning percentage against Q1 opponents, we are 0.391. Against all other teams, they are 0.681 and we are 0.710. Pretty comparable. Against common opponents (Auburn and UGA), they went 3-3 and we went 0-4. And they played all of those games on the road. The last team we whined about RPI was Auburn, and they swept us. RPI was right on the money.

Can we give it a break?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ole Miss is 16-9 OOC with a 30th ranked OOC SOS. We are 16-6 OOC with a 215th ranked OOC SOS. They have a 0.353 winning percentage against Q1 opponents, we are 0.391. Against all other teams, they are 0.681 and we are 0.710. Pretty comparable. Against common opponents (Auburn and UGA), they went 3-3 and we went 0-4. And they played all of those games on the road. The last team we whined about RPI was Auburn, and they swept us. RPI was right on the money.

Can we give it a break?
No promises... but I'm willing to negotiate what gets a break if RPI is on the table v other exhausting topics. 🙂

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow

Can we give it a break?
I know you said "give it a break", so forgive me, but this is really interesting to me....

Ole Miss' #30 OOC RPI, guess who they played on non-conference weekends...

Hawaii, High Point, Iowa, and Morehead St.

As we said about another team over the weekend, not exactly a murderer's row. None even close to UGa. None in the conversation for making the NCAA tournament as an at-large. BUT, none even close to our three sub 200 RPI foes.

TL;DR, Schedule building really is a science. It's not about scheduling all the top teams, but rather scheduling teams that are slightly outside the NCAA tournament cutoff point, teams that a NCAA tourney team should still beat, and avoid scheduling any really bad teams.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Does getting blown out in our final game impact selection committee?

Are we >25% of making the tourney? I'm not confident in us winning a regional, but I would still love to see us play a couple more games.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Does getting blown out in our final game impact selection committee?

Are we >25% of making the tourney? I'm not confident in us winning a regional, but I would still love to see us play a couple more games.
Joking aside (and our performance today did cause me to lose a little motivation), I'm planning to look at it again tonight and see where I think things stand. My guess is that we are around 25% chance of making the tourney, but that is just a guess right now.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean, credit where credit is due. Hall had a very good first 15 years, an OK second 15 years and significantly improved our facilities. However, the program just seems to have become very stale.