2024 Football Portal

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with you on almost everything. I am certain Coach Key's message to the players is worry about GT. That being said, given the two teams right now GT should win. Number one, I have confidence in our offense. Two, I am not at the FSU practice field, but Coach Norvell does offer more media accessibility than most schools. They have seen almost everything. You can hear the FSU media concern in so many areas including DJ. Their vision for the year is best described as being "hopeful." I hope that FSU continues to receive the hype when the football magazines come out later in May. And on the other side of the coin, you watch- GT's OL will be rated 9th in the conference. Our receivers and RBs will be ranked 7th. The perception is starting to change on Haynes King. The whole thing is clear to me. We are going to win in Dublin. As a side note, I wonder if the Ramblin Wreck Club has considered bringing the RW over to Dublin on a ship? Wouldn't that be something if it rolls out on the field? Talk about an intro!

I'll admit that I wear gold-colored glasses in the offseason. (Why not dream every year could be a special year?) But this is my hope as well. I think there's a good chance we're catching the crimnoles at a good time. Their team this year is not last year's team. Their top stars are in the draft or transferred. DJU is a big step down from Jordan Travis. They're relying on a lot of NIL free-agent transfers and freshmen recruits to fill shoes. On paper, they certainly have more talent than us. But I question whether their team will 'gel'. It smells to me like a team set up to have a really disappointing season after an (almost) really special season. The tone around the whole program has been toxic: the playoff snub, the lawsuit, the angry fanbase, the sense of entitlement... Doesn't feel like a team with a chip on their shoulder wanting to prove something. Feels like a bunch of players out to get theirs and believing they're better than the ACC competition just by showing up. I hope our team proves them wrong!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

"I feel like [the defensive coaching staff] is aligned," Davis said. "The coaches that coach [Tyler Santucci] has set up at Georgia Tech, matches with what I am trying to do. Coach Santucci is going to help me get to the next level and be great. I feel like I fit into his defense really well because I am a playmaker and I like to take risks. I feel like being in his defense is going to be good for me."

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
From what I read Davis tore his meniscus 4 games into his senior year. Prior to that was in secondary with Travis Hunter and won State in AAAAAAA at Collins Hill. 4 years to play. If Santucci comes from the same defensive school of thought as Elko then Davis is probably plays with a lot of aggression and physicality. Original offers include Michigan, TN, Arky, Miss St, and others. Was a 5.7 3-star on Rivals (3 star=5.5-5.7, 4 star = 5.8+). Looks like a good get for the future.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Depending on where the meniscus tear was, that can be a tough injury to come back from for an athlete. It's easy to get back everyday life, but sometimes that injury can permanently impair your explosiveness. Hopefully that is not the case with him!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Depending on where the meniscus tear was, that can be a tough injury to come back from for an athlete. It's easy to get back everyday life, but sometimes that injury can permanently impair your explosiveness. Hopefully that is not the case with him!
Maybe not germain here but this 67 year old "athlete" tore the meniscus in my right knee three years ago. Had it cleaned out afterwards and it was never near the same. The knee got replaced 14 months ago but from growing arthritis. Even "repaired" Meniscus can remain chronic.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I had the same injury in my early 40s. At the time I was still playing tennis competitively and was never able to do anything more than hit recreationally after the surgery.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Do we still need more DLs, I know we have two coming from this portal period (P.S. and SC players), but we still seem to be a little short? Am I seeing it wrong?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Do we still need more DLs, I know we have two coming from this portal period (P.S. and SC players), but we still seem to be a little short? Am I seeing it wrong?

By my guess we still have a dozen or so openings. We have picked up OL Pearson, DL Cohen, S Davis, and DE Height with Pearson being a walk-on and Cohen a PWO? My priorities would be DT, DE, N, LB, CB, TE.. DTs are definitely most critical. With Marshall, a solid freshman coming, and Van De Berg the DTs needs help but not a desperate situation., Maybe one or two of Adams, Jones, and Rochell will contribute. From the portal we need some DLs for the future - younger players. Yondjouen becomes a major issue for SDE and I would want more help (insurance) there for 2024.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
GT's biggest problem on the DL is we seem to be incubating them for other schools to come in and take them away.

Theoretically, we could have Jared Ivey and Kyle Kennard at DE this season, and that would have been one of the best DEs combos in the ACC if not the country. Obviously, we live in a different world than we did 4 years ago before the portal and NIL, so keeping guys like that on the roster in this day and age is a huge ask.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
GT's biggest problem on the DL is we seem to be incubating them for other schools to come in and take them away.

Theoretically, we could have Jared Ivey and Kyle Kennard at DE this season, and that would have been one of the best DEs combos in the ACC if not the country. Obviously, we live in a different world than we did 4 years ago before the portal and NIL, so keeping guys like that on the roster in this day and age is a huge ask.
Yes, and TBTH, this is what really sucks about college football these days. However, IIWII, and you have to sink or swim. Might as well swim with the sharks.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

Don't forget Jordan Domineck

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

From what I recall, Kyle graduated after playing for us for four years. Not everyone can get accepted or desires to continue at Tech as a grad student. Regardless, your point is valid for DL in general.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
From what I recall, Kyle graduated after playing for us for four years. Not everyone can get accepted or desires to continue at Tech as a grad student. Regardless, your point is valid for DL in general.

He did...that's why I said theoretically. Each situation is different, so it's difficult to be negative about it. It's just what it is for GT at the moment. Kyle would have been an absolute terror this year for us. Good thing he left the ACC. He's gonna be great for South Carolina.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
I gotta question, and it’s sincere, not trying to discredit, but I see the “transferring because he couldn’t get in to Tech grad school” assumption a lot. Does anyone have any proof of this? I gotta say, if we have a starter, I feel like they’d find ways to get you in or make something happen if you wanted to stay and play at Tech. Let’s say someone like Jamal Haynes graduates (he may already have I dunno)…but he has another year left and wants to play at Tech. They’re finding a way to make that happen. Oh, you gotta move on, you didn’t get in. I’m not buying it. He’s getting in!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I gotta question, and it’s sincere, not trying to discredit, but I see the “transferring because he couldn’t get in to Tech grad school” assumption a lot. Does anyone have any proof of this? I gotta say, if we have a starter, I feel like they’d find ways to get you in or make something happen if you wanted to stay and play at Tech. Let’s say someone like Jamal Haynes graduates (he may already have I dunno)…but he has another year left and wants to play at Tech. They’re finding a way to make that happen. Oh, you gotta move on, you didn’t get in. I’m not buying it. He’s getting in!
It seems reasonable that a football player who's an actual Tech grad should be admitted to grad school in his field to continue playing. (disclaimer - sidewalk fan here)