2024 Football Portal

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck

Not sure where else to put this but Gavin Stewart to enter portal. He’s already got his bachelor’s in business and apparently a master’s as well.
He will be missed! It was great to kickoff guy again that could reliability get touchbacks (before his injury). Hopefully we can find someone other than Birr that can do that to be able to save Birr's leg for field goals.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
He will be missed! It was great to kickoff guy again that could reliability get touchbacks (before his injury). Hopefully we can find someone other than Birr that can do that to be able to save Birr's leg for field goals.

If he already has a bachelors and masters, the only way to go would be a doctorate or another masters he may not have got in.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

Speaking of finishing degrees, it's hearsay but looks like Jeff Sims may be back at Georgia Tech.

From StingTalk forums:
KQ posted on the Rivals forum that Sims, who entered the portal in December, is looking to transfer BACK to Tech for his final season of eligibility. According to Quinlan's sources, he regrets transferring to Nebraska, and wants to return to pursue a Master's degree as well as rejoin the team to selflessly help us win however he can. The staff is considering letting him compete for a spot at a few different positions including goal-line QB.

It looks like from Sims' LinkedIn (this is approaching non-credibility, obviously not hard to make a fake account) that he is indeed back to complete his Business Administration degree and there are some students saying that he's been in classes.. Now, it's possible this is just finishing his degree (LinkedIn says he graduates in May) and not joining the team. We'll see.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck

Speaking of finishing degrees, it's hearsay but looks like Jeff Sims may be back at Georgia Tech.

From StingTalk forums:

It looks like from Sims' LinkedIn (this is approaching non-credibility, obviously not hard to make a fake account) that he is indeed back to complete his Business Administration degree and there are some students saying that he's been in classes.. Now, it's possible this is just finishing his degree (LinkedIn says he graduates in May) and not joining the team. We'll see.

I would be shocked if they let him back in the locker room, honestly. He basically quit on the team in his last year here, and if I remember correctly he threw a few insults our way in the press. Why would you bring that back into a locker room that has a strong leader in place? Not worth it at all.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Wasn’t that an April Fool’s joke? There’s no way in hell Key is letting that quiter within a county mile of this team

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

From StingTalk forums:

I am actually glad he is finishing g his degree. He put a lot of effort into it.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Wasn’t that an April Fool’s joke? There’s no way in hell Key is letting that quiter within a county mile of this team
Very well could have been. I debated even making a post about it since so much of the smoke was hearsay and forum posts on April 1, but the LinkedIn checks out - it was made in 2023 which is a long payoff for a joke. If he only needed a few credits to graduate it's very possible to walk in May and then commit somewhere to get a grad degree in the fall.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I mean Sims could actually be a pretty damn good scout team QB. no pressure and all that practice show out would go towards helping us get ready.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I am actually glad he is finishing g his degree. He put a lot of effort into it.
Up to a point, he put a lot of effort into being our quarterback. Not making any excuses, but just to note - I'll wager he wasn't the only one to quit on TFG. His quitting was just more overt and demonstrative.
No, I wouldn't take a chance on him, but I trust Brent to make that decision.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Up to a point, he put a lot of effort into being our quarterback. Not making any excuses, but just to note - I'll wager he wasn't the only one to quit on TFG. His quitting was just more overt and demonstrative.
No, I wouldn't take a chance on him, but I trust Brent to make that decision.
I think he is back in school because he wants a Georgia Tech degree and he has a lot of credits toward the degree. He must have realized he is not going to make it to the NFL. I don't think football is even a consideration.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

From StingTalk forums:

He got his undergraduate degree from Nebraska in December of last year.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
If he wants to return to Tech to finish his degree, I suppose that's fine as long as he's not on/around the team, and he's paying his own way and not receiving in athletic support for it, aka a regular student. He quit on Tech football and Key very publically, and he received more than enough money while he was here to pay his own way.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
If he already has a bachelors and masters, the only way to go would be a doctorate or another masters he may not have got in.
I am pretty certain one can stay in school after he has his degree without enrolling in a graduate degree program by taking courses related to his degree.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
He got his undergraduate degree from Nebraska in December of last year.
He got a Human Development degree from Nebraska, rumor is he’s working toward a Business degree from us.

I assume he ended up on a different track due to credits not transferring, but he spent 3 full years here plus probably some electives can come from Nebraska, no surprise if he only needed a semester or two to graduate here with a different degree. Don’t see what he did as any different than a normal student getting some gen-ed courses done at UNG or Lanier Tech during a summer.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sims is a great athlete. If he's matured, and wants to be a team player and accepts whatever role Key and Faulkner (or possibly on defense), why not? He had some outstanding games where he was the best player on the field, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ran in the 4.4-4.5 range. His issue was always consistency, and I think Collins handicapped him (as well as Patenaude) by not giving them the ability to run option more which would have put more stress on the defenses and help leverage Sims's speed and athleticism.

If he moved to TE (he's listed at 6'4 220) and gained another 10-15 pounds (Dylan Leonard was listed at 6'5 236lbs), he could be a matchup problem with his speed. He'd easily be the fastest guy in our TE room, and possibly a good receiving TE. If it doesn't work out, then nothing lost.

I'm confident Key would do whatever was in the team's best interest.