2024 Football Portal

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Despite his departure and the rancor involved, Sims is a Tech man in my book. He led us to some notable wins and his lack of development wasn't, imho, his fault. If he comes back to finish out his Tech degree and wants to help the team and the coaches think he is sincere about it and he has the right attitude coming in, then I see no reason why any Tech fan should object. But that's a lot of ands. Still, I'll pull for him if he gets back in the White and Gold.

Provided this isn't a rib, that is.

Last edited:

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I cannot see Key letting Sims get anywhere near the team. His turnover rate was atrocious and it cost him his job as the starting QB at Nebraska early in the season. When he was here, he quit on the team more than once, a characteristic that Key has shown he does not accept from any player.
But if he wants to come back to finish his degree as a student on his own dime, I have no problem with that.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
If he already has a bachelors and masters, the only way to go would be a doctorate or another masters he may not have got in.
Yeah from his post it seems like an educational move, not an athletic one. Even more reason to like they guy! I hope he succeeds wherever he goes on and off the field (unless it's an hour outside of Atlanta 😉).

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
If he wants to return to Tech to finish his degree, I suppose that's fine as long as he's not on/around the team, and he's paying his own way and not receiving in athletic support for it, aka a regular student. He quit on Tech football and Key very publically, and he received more than enough money while he was here to pay his own way.
Respectfully, some of you are so petty. If he's willing to ride the bench and be ready in a limited role when needed, Key would be insane not to take him back. He's a freak athlete with a ton of college football experience who, by most accounts, is a bright, good kid. Clearly he realizes he made a mistake, and it's not our place as fans to hold a grudge against him.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Metro Escalate GIF by KreativCopy

Did he even get assigned a number? Sheesh.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Respectfully, some of you are so petty. If he's willing to ride the bench and be ready in a limited role when needed, Key would be insane not to take him back. He's a freak athlete with a ton of college football experience who, by most accounts, is a bright, good kid. Clearly he realizes he made a mistake, and it's not our place as fans to hold a grudge against him.
Bucknell played power football back in the day? Perhaps we are moving forward, trying to avoid being bucknelled by espn, which is a real possibility.

Respectfully, the kid took the nil money. We then played pyron and learned others can ead and react to the defenses. Thats how we got King.

The qb room and wr room are full but glad to see him in class room.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
He's a good athlete(tall and fast) with a penchant for turnovers and quitting on his team. He quit on the team very publically mid-game. His mindset was poison, and although it might have changed, why take the risk in allowing that back? What, so we can have a pretty good scout team QB? Not worth the risk at all imo. We don't need him at QB, we have 3 backups that should be getting as many reps as possible in practice and didn't quit on the team. We don't need him at WR, that's probably the most loaded group we have. He hasn't played on defense in years and was never particularly good at hitting/getting hit, so I don't think we want him there. He's injury prone - he has yet to finish an entire college season without getting hurt. I see very limited potential value for Tech vs a lot of risk, certainly not worth a scholarship.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He's a good athlete(tall and fast) with a penchant for turnovers and quitting on his team. He quit on the team very publically mid-game. His mindset was poison, and although it might have changed, why take the risk in allowing that back? What, so we can have a pretty good scout team QB? Not worth the risk at all imo. We don't need him at QB, we have 3 backups that should be getting as many reps as possible in practice and didn't quit on the team. We don't need him at WR, that's probably the most loaded group we have. He hasn't played on defense in years and was never particularly good at hitting/getting hit, so I don't think we want him there. He's injury prone - he has yet to finish an entire college season without getting hurt. I see very limited potential value for Tech vs a lot of risk, certainly not worth a scholarship.

IMO, QB is off the table for him at GT. He's not better than what we've got...and we've got a top 20 QB in the country. He's not the situational guy Pyron is, who has the trust of the staff and has shown he'll put his head down and try to go through a 300lb DL. You also don't want Sims to eat up valuable reps from our young guys who look very promising. They are GT's future at QB, and those reps are gold for them. Sims shouldn't be in the QB room at all.

Sims, who by now should know he's not an NFL level QB, should be incentivized that he could have a future elsewhere. Where that's at is between him and Key. If he's willing to do the work and dedicate himself, and Key thinks he's mentally ready to help the team, it's a shot worth taking. Sims's size, speed, and athleticism is uncommon, and there's a chance with that size and skillset he could be a useful weapon for GT.

As I and others have said, Key is the one to ultimately make the decision.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Despite his departure and the rancor involved, Sims is a Tech man in my book. He led us to some notable wins and his lack of development wasn't, imho, his fault.
I won't argue for a second that he wasn't poorly coached while he was at Tech. But you can still do other things to get better outside of bad coaching. Lot of guys have gone on their own time to get tutoring from QB guru George Whitfield Jr., for example.