2024 Football Portal

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Naw, we just gonna be trading players with other teams, like the pros. “You want a quality running back? We’ll give you one, plus a backup receiver for a starting nose tackle.”

You joke (I think?), but how long before it comes to this? Assuming it hasn't already, behind closed doors.

Isn't that basically the next step to this?

It's like we're desperately inching towards making college(sic) football into a true minor league.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t understand why some of us are jumping so quickly to academics being a reason why a transfer would transfer again. Those kids are so far along in their college careers that they know how to stay eligible and live as a student-athlete. They’re also in their elective classes and are set up for success - especially as transfers. Literally everything about this landscape is showing us that kids are leaving for better football opportunities.

Stop assuming a kid who’s been in college as a student-athlete for years already can’t do the school part. Very few scholarship P5 college football players are making decisions off of school anymore. When was the last time we had a player flunk out? And/or transfer out because of the school workload? How many since CPJ retired 5 years ago? It’s just a dated argument in 2024.

I’d be pissed if I was a college football player who had worked his *** off to get a full ride at a big time program and there’s people online assuming he doesn’t want to show up to class and contribute in group projects (which is all it takes). Nothing about this landscape has shown that kids are transferring because of schoolwork. That’s so far down the list in this era.

I do wonder if the same people will question whether the Furman kid wanted to do the school part. Since he made the same decision as the FSU kid. Haven’t seen that though.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Really wonder if we look at the number of DL and LBs on the roster and use that as the major determinant of going predominately 4-3 or 3-4 in the front 7. If we don't have enough quality depth at either level, then we have a major issue

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t understand why some of us are jumping so quickly to academics being a reason why a transfer would transfer again. Those kids are so far along in their college careers that they know how to stay eligible and live as a student-athlete. They’re also in their elective classes and are set up for success - especially as transfers. Literally everything about this landscape is showing us that kids are leaving for better football opportunities.

Stop assuming a kid who’s been in college as a student-athlete for years already can’t do the school part. Very few scholarship P5 college football players are making decisions off of school anymore. When was the last time we had a player flunk out? And/or transfer out because of the school workload? How many since CPJ retired 5 years ago? It’s just a dated argument in 2024.

I’d be pissed if I was a college football player who had worked his *** off to get a full ride at a big time program and there’s people online assuming he doesn’t want to show up to class and contribute in group projects (which is all it takes). Nothing about this landscape has shown that kids are transferring because of schoolwork. That’s so far down the list in this era.

I do wonder if the same people will question whether the Furman kid wanted to do the school part. Since he made the same decision as the FSU kid. Haven’t seen that though.
I don't necessarily disagree, but in regards to your questions in the second paragraph, that information isn't usually publicized, the player just hits the portal. Most of the time we have no idea why someone is transferring, whether for NIL, academic struggles, lack of playing time, wanting to be closer to family, etc.

For Tifase, he spent 2 years at FSU, which isn't nothing but isn't a particularly long time either. FSU models itself as a football factory and is not known for high academic standards, so the assumption is that most any player there isn't doing much real school work. Coming to Tech where academic standards are significantly higher, I don't think it's totally unreasonable to think that may have played a role in his decision making - that being said, our players get PLENTY of "academic support" as well, probably moreso than some realize.

Barton, on the other hand, has already graduated from college with a degree in IT. That alone is going to suggest that academic struggles were probably not his reasoning.

IMO, I think both expected to come in and start, and since they aren't in that position they are leaving to find somewhere else that they can. But we will probably never know for sure.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't necessarily disagree, but in regards to your questions in the second paragraph, that information isn't usually publicized, the player just hits the portal. Most of the time we have no idea why someone is transferring, whether for NIL, academic struggles, lack of playing time, wanting to be closer to family, etc.

For Tifase, he spent 2 years at FSU, which isn't nothing but isn't a particularly long time either. FSU models itself as a football factory and is not known for high academic standards, so the assumption is that most any player there isn't doing much real school work. Coming to Tech where academic standards are significantly higher, I don't think it's totally unreasonable to think that may have played a role in his decision making - that being said, our players get PLENTY of "academic support" as well, probably moreso than some realize.

Barton, on the other hand, has already graduated from college with a degree in IT. That alone is going to suggest that academic struggles were probably not his reasoning.

IMO, I think both expected to come in and start, and since they aren't in that position they are leaving to find somewhere else that they can. But we will probably never know for sure.
I watched the replay of the game, and specifically watched Yifase . I was not impressed. He looked gassed and had no push at all.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
NFL without contracts nor salary caps. Couldn't define a more chaotic system!!!

I think the NCAA and colleges are going about this all wrong. The NFL/NBA/MLB have salary caps because of collective bargaining. Let the athletes unionize and NCAA & colleges can begin the process of "collective bargaining" and create some type of salary cap. Maybe depending on each conference's media revenues, etc.

SAs are going to get paid. NCAA and colleges just need to accept that and move on to the next step to get rid of all the chaos. NCAA and colleges can also collectively bargain that SAs must sit out one year if they transfer, and thus get rid of all the messy transfers every year.

The courts have been very clear about upholding collective bargaining agreements, so I think if the NCAA and colleges think this one through, there can be and equitable outcome for everyone and also reign in if not get rid of all the chaos.

beeteam

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the NCAA and colleges are going about this all wrong. The NFL/NBA/MLB have salary caps because of collective bargaining. Let the athletes unionize and NCAA & colleges can begin the process of "collective bargaining" and create some type of salary cap. Maybe depending on each conference's media revenues, etc.

SAs are going to get paid. NCAA and colleges just need to accept that and move on to the next step to get rid of all the chaos. NCAA and colleges can also collectively bargain that SAs must sit out one year if they transfer, and thus get rid of all the messy transfers every year.

The courts have been very clear about upholding collective bargaining agreements, so I think if the NCAA and colleges think this one through, there can be and equitable outcome for everyone and also reign in if not get rid of all the chaos.
I think this is a great idea in theory, but who's going to enforce the salary cap? Boosters will still do their thing with under the table money going toward recruitment.

It's not perfect, but I think the baseball model would be best. The hard part would be getting the NFL to fund their own development league. I know...dream on.

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
1000001019.jpg

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
That's my whole point.
So why waste stress & energy over what we can't control?
Just relax.
I think your problem is with the site and not my post. You seem to be making the case that no one should make any posts since we cannot control anything. Why bother even posting at all?

By the way, you are wasting as much energy telling me not to waste my energy.

Also, who made you the post police to dictate which topics are acceptable for discussion on this site? You are allowed to ignore and not respond to posts that you think are unnecessary.

Last edited: