2024 Football Portal

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
WTF is going on with our defensive line? We lost eight players at the end of the season and now have lost three more, including two of the three incoming transfers. Also, why are multiple players leaving after less than one semester?
I don’t know the answer to your question but it reminds me of a conversation we’ve had for at least the last twenty years in Tech circles. Good defensive linemen are scarce to begin with and among those very few seem cut out for the riggers of being a student athlete at Tech.

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
Why panic on the first day? Do you honestly believe that we are not recruiting D linemen, even before the portal opened (like all other schools)? No need to hit the panic button when players from the worst P5 defense last year enter the portal.
Good theory, but when 3 portal players come and leave within the same semester...it really does not provide any good feelings that this time we will get portal players that stick around...where is the huge bag of NIL it takes to buy players now ? We just are not a destination at this point.

Dman374

Georgia Tech Fan
I have no knowledge, speculating only, but there are multiple Memphis D-line players in the portal. Looking specifically at Cevan Edwards because he held of offer from us, and his former coach is now on our staff.

I would also imagine if a Duke football forum ever existed there's probably a thread on which defensive players could transfer out. I'd assume if there are any, backchannels happened a while ago and we'd have an idea of who's jumping ship.

Last edited:

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
These players transferred because they can’t crack the two deep and didn’t impress in spring camp and didn’t fit the new system where we only use one rush end. Yall negative Nancy’s have little insight or don’t pay ten dollars a month to actually subscribe to the insider info on rivals

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Good theory, but when 3 portal players come and leave within the same semester...it really does not provide any good feelings that this time we will get portal players that stick around...where is the huge bag of NIL it takes to buy players now ? We just are not a destination at this point.
see below
These players transferred because they can’t crack the two deep and didn’t impress in spring camp and didn’t fit the new system where we only use one rush end.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I think it has to do with the cap of scholarships in the Spring vs Fall, and also with the amount of High School kids we bring in early. I'm wrong all the time, but that is my understanding. I think we did bring in some transfers to essentially try out, but we also didn't have the D-coordinator spot filled until the portal closed either. All that is to say, don't be shocked by transfers going in and out, especially from P5 and lower level schools. Maybe someone can provide a comment on the roster cap, but you can't take an unlimited amount of kids in the spring or fall. I have no idea what that cap is, but it could also help point out how many other kids currently on the roster will be "processed".
We were not close to our scholarship limit this spring.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
These players transferred because they can’t crack the two deep and didn’t impress in spring camp and didn’t fit the new system where we only use one rush end. Yall negative Nancy’s have little insight or don’t pay ten dollars a month to actually subscribe to the insider info on rivals
This is objectively and obviously false, as we do not have enough players to make a two deep on the line right now

Dman374

Georgia Tech Fan
This is objectively and obviously false, as we do not have enough players to make a two deep on the line right now
Let's look at the roster:
SRJRSOFR
Sylvain YondjouenJaaymen Rochell (R)Cade Adams (R)
Kevin HarrisTy Thompson (R)Jordan Boyd
Makis ScottShymeik Jones (R)
Joshua RobinsonUche IIoh
Zeek BiggersLanden Marshall

Might not be perfect, but need younger roster spots. Forgive any errors for rushed chart, but with the two freshman that arrive this summer I think we'll be at 12 total D-line. That's average. Looking at this now, I'm more worried about 2025+.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow

The legislation will not limit the number of times an athlete can transfer -- and there are still two transfer windows -- but they can't transfer midyear and play for a second school in the same season.

A key Question would be what constitutes same season? Calendar year?

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
see below
This does not invalidate my point at all. They were not good enough...ok I will accept that...but these are what we are getting from the portal so to assume the next batch will be good enough without a new $ scheme is wishful thinking

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
SRJRSOFR
Joshua RobinsonUche IIoh

Might not be perfect, but need younger roster spots. Forgive any errors for rushed chart, but with the two freshman that arrive this summer I think we'll be at 12 total D-line. That's average. Looking at this now, I'm more worried about 2025+.

Add Lockett and Cruz

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
SRJRSOFR
Joshua RobinsonUche IIoh

Horace Lockett

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
SRJRSOFR
Joshua RobinsonUche IIoh

I think some of these guys are walkons.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Question. Is it easier for a student athlete to qualify at Tech is they have a decent academic record at another college? I would think some players might want to come to Tech out of high school but have an easier time as a transfer. Would this make the portal our friend?
It is an easier route to a Tech degree, and I can tell my experience with my son, who was not a student athlete. He went to Wake on a debate scholarship out of HS as a STAR student. Decided it was not for him after his freshman year. Took some classes at UWG one quarter, and transferred to Tech. As a business major, he definitely had an easier time at Tech transferring in after his freshman year, in my opinion, compared to kids entering GT out of HS, not that he needed to. He went on to get his law degree from Emory.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Horace Lockett

That's 4 DEs ready to play and a promising Fr on board and a Fr coming and 3 DTs ready to play if you add Van De Berg with added possibilities of Adams (walk-on) and maybe Rochell (walk-on) and a Fr coming. We need big help from the portal at DT and several 2025 recruits for the future at DE and DT..

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
This does not invalidate my point at all. They were not good enough...ok I will accept that...but these are what we are getting from the portal so to assume the next batch will be good enough without a new $ scheme is wishful thinking
You forgot that last time the portal closed, we didn't have a DC or DL coach. Those things matter. Step back from the ledge....or give a few thousand (or any amount really) to help out. And if you already do, thank you!