2024 Football Portal

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the new defensive coaches can pull in some talented defensive line athletes from the portal with the lack of depth and big appeal of playing time available. Quickly!

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
WTF is going on with our defensive line? We lost eight players at the end of the season and now have lost three more, including two of the three incoming transfers. Also, why are multiple players leaving after less than one semester?
Apparently the defensive line is now optional...I guess we just will not have one

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Only ship DE's I see on the roster left are Jordan Boyd, Harris, Robinson and Sylvain. Yeesh. We really need Sylvain to get back all of a sudden.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Annoying but
1. Everyone needs to expect this now
2. I really don’t think we should worry.
The dudes leaving aren’t starters. Yes we want depth, but decent odds Santucci has at least one or two guys in the talks that could pass the starters that Barton, Kelly or Tifase couldn’t, along with other depth guys.
Reminder - Santucci wasn’t hired before last portal closed. I bet there are people that want to be on his team with his track record.
Patience my little jackets

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Annoying but
The dudes leaving aren’t starters. Yes we want depth, but decent odds Santucci has at least one or two guys in the talks that could pass the starters that Barton, Kelly or Tifase couldn’t, along with other depth guys.
Reminder - Santucci wasn’t hired before last portal closed. I bet there are people that want to be on his team with his track record.

I mean we gotta have more than 4 ends. Sylvain has been hurt 3-4 times while here. That was where Kelly definitely helped. (Maybe Barton)

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I mean we gotta have more than 4 ends. Sylvain has been hurt 3-4 times while here. That was where Kelly definitely helped. (Maybe Barton)
Boyd is a true FR.
Robinson and Harris haven't shown much.
And Sylvain is trying to return from injury.

Who else is on the chart now?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Annoying but
Who is our two deep across the line? We don't have enough players to have one at this point. We are minus seven players across the line this offseason. We need five or six, not one or two.

Dman374

Georgia Tech Fan
This is where new CFB starts to lose me. Barton been here for what 2 months? He can play anywhere else this year still? Jumped the shark.
Tryouts and processing players, I'd assume Barton didn't make the cut. Welcome to the new gray shirting process. Like @TooTall said it's still early. I'm willing to bet our coaching staff, as well as most staffs, have a list of players they're planning to backfill if someone leaves, or upgrade when we process a player that doesn't make the cut. Would also bet we have a self imposed salary cap, and we're just working on roster management. The D-line is concerning, but let's see how this plays out when the portal window closes.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Tryouts and processing players, I'd assume Barton didn't make the cut. Welcome to the new gray shirting process. Like @TooTall said it's still early. I'm willing to bet our coaching staff, as well as most staffs, have a list of players they're planning to backfill if someone leaves, or upgrade when we process a player that doesn't make the cut. Would also bet we have a self imposed salary cap, and we're just working on roster management. The D-line is concerning, but let's see how this plays out when the portal window closes.
If that was the case, why did we only bring in three players instead of more after the eight dedensive linemen left the team in December? We could have "tried out" more players in the spring and cut those who failed to make the two deep. Now, we have seven scholarship players on the DL with five having any significant playing experience.

Dman374

Georgia Tech Fan
If that was the case, why did we only bring in three players instead of more after the eight dedensive linemen left the team in December? We could have "tried out" more players in the spring and cut those who failed to make the two deep. Now, we have seven scholarship players on the DL with five having any significant playing experience.
I think it has to do with the cap of scholarships in the Spring vs Fall, and also with the amount of High School kids we bring in early. I'm wrong all the time, but that is my understanding. I think we did bring in some transfers to essentially try out, but we also didn't have the D-coordinator spot filled until the portal closed either. All that is to say, don't be shocked by transfers going in and out, especially from P5 and lower level schools. Maybe someone can provide a comment on the roster cap, but you can't take an unlimited amount of kids in the spring or fall. I have no idea what that cap is, but it could also help point out how many other kids currently on the roster will be "processed".