2024 Football Portal

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see the “contracts”. Because with the uga player suing Florida, there’s no way the NIL money was promised all up front, right?? Nobody is that dumb in today’s portal era. Because I’m sorry, why on earth would you expect me to pay you to “work” somewhere else. If I’m the Florida coach, I’m telling him to get bent in the most legal way possible
Rashada signed a letter of intent to play for Florida originally, but was allowed to leave by the university after the promised $13m, 4 year deal from the Gator Collective never came through. Not about paying him to work somewhere else, they failed to uphold their end of the deal at all.

Doubt this can happen. Guys like Deandre Smelter who played baseball and football counted against the football limit back I. The day, I imagine there would be rules about this for NIL also.

It's already happening, there are basically no restrictions on NIL and the NCAA is basically powerless.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Rashada signed a letter of intent to play for Florida originally, but was allowed to leave by the university after the promised $13m, 4 year deal from the Gator Collective never came through. Not about paying him to work somewhere else, they failed to uphold their end of the deal at all.

It's already happening, there are basically no restrictions on NIL and the NCAA is basically powerless.

Crazy, thanks @yeti92

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you on this. What are they being paid for if it’s not to play for team x? Is it celebrity endorsement of a product or service? Is it for showing up at autograph signing events? These things kind of sound legitimate. So what is the need of a collective anyway? Banning collectives would be the first step to fixing this mess.
It is using their name on their jersey and their likeness during the televised games. By televising the games with their names, images, and likenesses, they're asking for compensation. That's what I've gleaned from this.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
It is using their name on their jersey and their likeness during the televised games. By televising the games with their names, images, and likenesses, they're asking for compensation. That's what I've gleaned from this.
So if we take their names off the jerseys, stop referencing them by name and instead by #, and make them all wear visors so their faces aren't visible, we don't need to pay them? I'm on board, it'll be just like the old NCAA games.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn’t read the paywalled linked article, but it seems to me that you are saying the following:

If a) NCAA players agree to a collective bargaining agreement with the NCAA that includes a salary cap,

then b) the NCAA could conceivably place restrictions on outside income, such as NIL, that could be construed as circumventing the salary cap.

If my interpretation is correct, then for the NCAA's NIL restrictions to work in this manner, the players must have already agreed to a collective bargaining agreement that includes this restriction. That may or may not happen, but it is quite a ways from where we stand today with NIL.
Yep, basically. Bummer on the paywall, I didn’t hit one, maybe random.

It’s several steps away and would require a few things that all seem unlikely: collective bargaining with players on the part of the NCAA or NCAA replacement; a legitimate interest in parity; and a appetite to enforce it against the teams that bring in the TV audiences.

I think it becomes more likely in a future “big 2” world. Right now the Big 10 and SEC schools all throwing their weight around to maximize their advantages vs everyone else’s. They are very very good at putting the whole above the individual team.

Get rid of all the little guys and suddenly there’s a lot more opportunity for all the non-Bama-level schools that remain to want and agree to restrictions on the Bama’s of the world.

But it’s as much a “CFB doesn’t want to try to do it” problem as a “we couldn’t legally do it” problem.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Let’s be honest. A CBA with 30 MLB teams with a max of about 30 players or 32 NFL teams with a max of about 50 players is far, far different than a CBA with even just P5 football with 64 teams at near 100 each. All of D1 is about 130 teams. That just doesn’t seem feasible to me.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I like it, but one question: how sad is Miami to see him leave?
Some of the comments I've seen suggest he was going to get beat out by incoming freshmen 5 stars, but just looking at his production he had 8 tackles, 4 TFL, 2 sacks, and 2 FF. Not a ton of production, but when he did make plays they seem to have counted.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Some of the comments I've seen suggest he was going to get beat out by incoming freshmen 5 stars, but just looking at his production he had 8 tackles, 4 TFL, 2 sacks, and 2 FF. Not a ton of production, but when he did make plays they seem to have counted.
Seems to have not played a lot. Was he injured part of the season. Also, the guy’s been in college for a long time. I guess a RS year and a covid year would allow 6 seasons. He started at GSU in 2019, so this would be his 6th year.

slugboy

Staff member
From what I read, he has played anywhere from NT to DE, but he weighs 280. Being a utility player at Miami probably won’t get you much playing time, even if you’re healthy. Santucci and Simpson seem to use that kind of player.

To @dressedcheeseside ’s question: Miami fans probably don’t care. They’re loaded at DL. We’re thin there—we lost some transfers. I don’t think we’d use a ship on a guy unless we expected him in the rotation