2024 ACC Football Schedule Reveal - Jan 24th, ACC Network and ESPN2

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of man?
Arrow Ttrpg GIF by zoefannet

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It’s not circumstantial at all. Stop listening to words which mean nothing and look at actions - they purposely left out the undefeated ACC Champion who had been ranked in the top 4 all season. That’s not circumstantial, that’s actually what they did. Their words are as meaningless as Herbstreit‘s tears.
This is incorrect and misses my point. The committee dropped FSU out of the playoffs after the game when Travis got hurt. Then they moved them back up to # 4 and into the playoffs after FSU beat SEC rival Florida. Again, this is not the action of a conspiracy that wanted to keep FSU out.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is incorrect and misses my point. The committee dropped FSU out of the playoffs after the game when Travis got hurt. Then they moved them back up to # 4 and into the playoffs after FSU beat SEC rival Florida. Again, this is not the action of a conspiracy that wanted to keep FSU out.
Did they keep them out or not? That’s all that matters. I don’t need conspiracies or to listen to committee members tell me how bad they feel or how much sleep they lost. They hosed the ACC yet again. It’s not a conspiracy it’s their business model.

We can differ on this, no biggie. Next year it will be very obvious when the field triples yet the ACC will go from 0 teams to 1 while the SEC goes from 1 to 4 or 5.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Did they keep them out or not? That’s all that matters. I don’t need conspiracies or to listen to committee members tell me how bad they feel or how much sleep they lost. They hosed the ACC yet again. It’s not a conspiracy it’s their business model.

We can differ on this, no biggie. Next year it will be very obvious when the field triples yet the ACC will go from 0 teams to 1 while the SEC goes from 1 to 4 or 5.
“It’s not a conspiracy, it’s their business model.”

This comment wins the gold. Wish we could end the debate with this.

In the end it’s not personal against the ACC it’s just that the ACC doesn’t pay the bills and is an easy patsy who will just roll over and take it.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

That’s your opinion. It’s not factually supported and it goes against what the committee said and it was a criteria in their selection guidelines. But if it makes you feel better to believe it’s a conspiracy go for it.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
This isn't true. They didn't make the CFP because their starting QB was injured. That was the reason the CFP Committee gave. When the uproar happened about the absurdity of that, media outlets started the narrative about the weak schedule. That was never part of the excuse CFP gave.

"The CFP committee placed the undefeated Seminoles (13–0) at No. 5 in favor of Alabama (12–1) at No. 4 because of the Crimson Tide’s win against then No. 1 Georgia (12–1) in the SEC Championship game. CFP leaders also felt that FSU was not the same team following the season-ending leg injury to quarterback Jordan Travis in the Seminoles’ game against North Alabama on Nov. 18."
What else were they gonna say? They aren't gonna publish the information about the level of dollars and lobbying/pressure applied by the SEC and ESPN to make sure Alabama was in and FSU was out. It was a CFP charade to make sure ESPN gets the teams they want. Spin it any way you want, but the answer is the same. ESPN/SEC required an SEC team be in the playoff and nothing was going to change that. I would bet that if UGA had won the SEC championship, both Alabama and Texas would have been out.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
So then the NCST AD is in on the lie as well! Why would he be in on a lie that hurts his Conference? So are all the other Committee members. That's a stretch by any standard if you look at the people on the Committee.
Maybe he got out voted 10-1 or whatever number of members are on the CFB. I would sure like to know if he actually put up a fight on behalf of the ACC and FSU. He has not made any public statement about his position in the discussion to my knowledge, so it certainly doesn't sound like he put up much of an argument (Baaaaah!, Baaaah!). I can imagine something like: ESPN to NCST AD; "do what your are told or your next ACC tv contract is gonna be even worse than what you have now!" We will never know because those meetings are shrouded in secrecy.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't agree that the ACC and FSU were targeted from the beginning. I think if UGA had won FSU would be in. I think the circumstances dictated this. Alabama defeated the 2 time defending national champion with a 29 game winning streak on a neutral field. So they have to go in front of UGA. The fact Texas beat Alabama on the road makes it so tough to put them behind Alabama. Yes the QB being hurt and the ACC being perceived as the weakest Power 5 played a role. But if UGA had won, I think FSU would have remained a 4 seed.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I don't agree that the ACC and FSU were targeted from the beginning. I think if UGA had won FSU would be in. I think the circumstances dictated this. Alabama defeated the 2 time defending national champion with a 29 game winning streak on a neutral field. So they have to go in front of UGA. The fact Texas beat Alabama on the road makes it so tough to put them behind Alabama. Yes the QB being hurt and the ACC being perceived as the weakest Power 5 played a role. But if UGA had won, I think FSU would have remained a 4 seed.
I agree. It was not a targeted "hit" on FSU or the ACC. Once Alabama beat u(sic)ga, then the committee had a problem - you could not put u(sic)ga in over Alabama and you could not put Alabama in over Texas. That left them in the position of having to leave an SEC team out of the playoff - and heaven forbid a playoff without an SEC team. I mean everyone knows they have a divine right to AT LEAST one of the 4 playoff spots. :(
The only option was to find one of the other teams to leave out. Since FSU's QB got hurt, it gave them a natural excuse to leave out FSU. It would have been fascinating to see what would have happened had Jordan Travis not gotten hurt. They still would have found a way to exclude FSU, but the mental gymnastics they would have had to use would have been STAGGERING- much worse than the mental gymnastics they used to exclude FSU this time.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What else were they gonna say? They aren't gonna publish the information about the level of dollars and lobbying/pressure applied by the SEC and ESPN to make sure Alabama was in and FSU was out. It was a CFP charade to make sure ESPN gets the teams they want. Spin it any way you want, but the answer is the same. ESPN/SEC required an SEC team be in the playoff and nothing was going to change that. I would bet that if UGA had won the SEC championship, both Alabama and Texas would have been out.
I absolutely think that’s correct.

Very few political decisions in life don’t involve pressure of some kind, conscious and unconscious. Likewise, there are very few real conspiracies in life. This was a matter of the committee looking for the course of least resistance and avoiding the absolute sh—-storm / firestorm that would have occurred if no SEC teams were in the playoffs. They solved their dilemma the easiest way possible while avoiding the most friction. They’re probably thanking their lucky stars that next year a 12 team playoff removes any major controversies from the process.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I agree. It was not a targeted "hit" on FSU or the ACC. Once Alabama beat u(sic)ga, then the committee had a problem - you could not put u(sic)ga in over Alabama and you could not put Alabama in over Texas. That left them in the position of having to leave an SEC team out of the playoff - and heaven forbid a playoff without an SEC team. I mean everyone knows they have a divine right to AT LEAST one of the 4 playoff spots. :(
The only option was to find one of the other teams to leave out. Since FSU's QB got hurt, it gave them a natural excuse to leave out FSU. It would have been fascinating to see what would have happened had Jordan Travis not gotten hurt. They still would have found a way to exclude FSU, but the mental gymnastics they would have had to use would have been STAGGERING- much worse than the mental gymnastics they used to exclude FSU this time.
They could easily have put Bama in over Texas. They had just beaten the #1 team. It’s the definition of hit job when you delete an undefeated champ for two 1-loss teams from a favored conference.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
AT AND AROUND THE GTAA FOOTBALL GAME the build better academic building folks and the alumni association are highliting there annual fund raising.

55 years giving 1-200 per year to the AA.

Working w Gtaa football since 2012 when I found out Hill ruled them but was not finding ways to help gtaa compete at more than bottom feeder level $

The Gtaa needs the Admin to team up with them in all levels to help gtaa overcome the limited course offerings, and higher academic requirements.

I refer to Bud P AND Geoff C asTFPREZ & TFP.
As Pres of NCAA BOARD of Governors, TPPREZ had perfect attendance at all meetings as NCAA decenddd into irrelevance.

In Angel we trust.