2023 Fall Practice Notes

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Coach Crawford and the WR room seem quite positive about themselves, almost to the point of having a bit of swagger. Hoping their positivity is a good sign of things to come and not one of overconfidence. Can't wait to see how they perform vs. Louisville.
I would be surprised by less confidence. otoh-- as the saying goes-Talk is Cheap. Lets see if there is substance to the sizzle.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know it was the nature of the offense, but I use love looking up and seeing Smelter/Bay Bay with no one within 10-15 yards of them.

Wide open and unaccounted for receivers weren't necessarily coming just from Johnson's O scheme. Sadly,we have produced similar results with our defensive scheme over the last several years as well. ;)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just had a random thought although that's not really uncommon for me to do so. Say Johnson was playing his offense against Collin's defense. Johnson's receivers could often be wide open against convetional defenses. Collin's defenses would leave receivers in conventional offenses wide open. Is it possible somehow that Collin's defense was designed to perfectly shut down the passing game of Johnson's offense but when Collins became a head coach his defense no longer had to face the triple option???? In other words, our DB's were so out of position against the likes of WF, Duke, Uga and Pitt that they WOULD have been where Baybay and Smelter where in CPJ's offense??? I get the vague sense that maybe I am either overcomplicating this or worse yet, oversimplifying it. It's a tortous mental excercise that is going to cause me to step away from my computer and go downstairs and fix another gin and tonic.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I just had a random thought although that's not really uncommon for me to do so. Say Johnson was playing his offense against Collin's defense. Johnson's receivers could often be wide open against convetional defenses. Collin's defenses would leave receivers in conventional offenses wide open. Is it possible somehow that Collin's defense was designed to perfectly shut down the passing game of Johnson's offense but when Collins became a head coach his defense no longer had to face the triple option???? In other words, our DB's were so out of position against the likes of WF, Duke, Uga and Pitt that they WOULD have been where Baybay and Smelter where in CPJ's offense??? I get the vague sense that maybe I am either overcomplicating this or worse yet, oversimplifying it. It's a tortous mental excercise that is going to cause me to step away from my computer and go downstairs and fix another gin and tonic.
5 oclock started early today. ;)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Ladies and Gentlemen, it is just over 2 weeks until toe meets leather. Are you excited?
You are damn right I am. Tom Petty ....the waiting is the hardest part. Carly Simon...we can never know about the days ahead, but we think about them anyways. Neil Diamond....the road is long, with many a winding turn. Hank Jr....play me the songs about rambing man, put a cold one in my hand, cause you know i still love to get drunk and hear the old country songs. Pink Floyd....the sun is the same in a relative way but you're older. Big Al...hang on brothers and sisters, we got a thriller brewing right here on Hyundai Field. Preseason football/fall camp is the same to me now as waiting on Christmas in early December was to me as a child.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
No, see: 2014 Orange Bowl and 2019 Citadel.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
2 weeks from today!

Excited Will Ferrell GIF

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Back to fall camp news thanks
Today is the second camp scrimmage, and CBK doesn’t want to prepare for Louisville until the week before the game at MBS. GT moves to morning practices next week, as school starts on Monday. Coach Geep Wade says that we know where we are at as a staff, but still welcomes the repetitions of Fall practice and the improvements needed. Especially for the young guys to gain those experiences.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I see what you're saying but to pick a nit Collins had accepted another job and wasn't on their sideline. Or maybe I misremembered. :)
From what I observed from his 3 years at Tech, being on the sideline made his defense worse not better. The question with his teams is always about the quality of the players. If they are any good at all then another coach has a better than even chance of getting them to play better.

The legacy of Geoffrey Collins.