2023 Fall Practice Notes

slugboy

Staff member
OL Article
Some nuggets:
  • Fusile was our top-graded lineman by PFF last season.
  • Weston Franklin is probably the starting center, but they’re trying a lot of things there.
  • We allowed 3.5 sacks per game and 8.25 tackles for loss—some of the worst stats in the nation.
  • Gives more detail on depth and who might be starting.
Good article.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Some nuggets:
  • Fusile was our top-graded lineman by PFF last season.
  • Weston Franklin is probably the starting center, but they’re trying a lot of things there.
  • We allowed 3.5 sacks per game and 8.25 tackles for loss—some of the worst stats in the nation.
  • Gives more detail on depth and who might be starting.
Good article.
To piggyback off of this, if we played tomorrow…

LT: Corey Robinson (Does anyone know he actual weight?)
LG: Joe Fusile
C: Weston Franklin
RG: Jordan Williams (Is he healthy?)
RT: Jakiah Leftwich

6-8 (Solid Backups)
Paul Tchio
Jordan Brown
Connor Scaglione

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I have not heard a peep about Tchio and or Brown. They are either hurt, not playing well or may have been told they are scout team. I think Gibson, Scaglione and some of freshmen are ahead of those two.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

6-8 (Solid Backups)
Paul Tchio
Jordan Brown
Connor Scaglione
Iask Corey at Fan Day 305

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I have not heard a peep about Tchio and or Brown. They are either hurt, not playing well or may have been told they are scout team. I think Gibson, Scaglione and some of freshmen are ahead of those two.
Some of te pictures on Rambling Wreck show Tchio and Brown practicing drills in uniform. not red shirts. Freshman Fortsman seems to be getting some attention along with Mackenny.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The OL is a good reason why we probably will have to wait a year. Ok, so everybody is back. And everybody - except Williams - is still wet behind the ears for an OL. We might be able to get the unit cohesion and good OL by mid-season, but we almost certainly won't have it right off the bat. That's why I hope we don't end up with a lot fo injuries - or even one or two - and don'r play a lot of underclassmen. Unless an incarnation of John Davis shows up, keep to the upperclassmen and hope they jell. Then stockpile as many OLs as you can and work for development over a 2 year period. That's how we should do things for the whole outfit, say I. And Bobby Ross, of course.

But … necessity rules here and we'll probably have to settle for another underaged OL.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The OL is a good reason why we probably will have to wait a year. Ok, so everybody is back. And everybody - except Williams - is still wet behind the ears for an OL. We might be able to get the unit cohesion and good OL by mid-season, but we almost certainly won't have it right off the bat. That's why I hope we don't end up with a lot fo injuries - or even one or two - and don'r play a lot of underclassmen. Unless an incarnation of John Davis shows up, keep to the upperclassmen and hope they jell. Then stockpile as many OLs as you can and work for development over a 2 year period. That's how we should do things for the whole outfit, say I. And Bobby Ross, of course.

But … necessity rules here and we'll probably have to settle for another underaged OL.
You play the best players regardless of years in the program. Players know who should be playing. Hold someone back just to “develop” them and they will be playing elsewhere next year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You play the best players regardless of years in the program. Players know who should be playing. Hold someone back just to “develop” them and they will be playing elsewhere next year.
Well, yeah; that's why mentioned John Davis. But, given your druthers, you'd give even talented players a year or two to develop. That's how you win when you can't get a group of 4 - 5 star OLs every year. Shoot, even Mason, probably our most talented OL in years, took two years to work into the OL. True, he had Uzzi in front of him, but still …

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, yeah; that's why mentioned John Davis. But, given your druthers, you'd give even talented players a year or two to develop. That's how you win when you can't get a group of 4 - 5 star OLs every year. Shoot, even Mason, probably our most talented OL in years, took two years to work into the OL. True, he had Uzzi in front of him, but still …
I think of Jon Carman.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think of Jon Carman.
Ah, yes. Living proof that transferring OLs can pay off. I remember one pre-game interview he did with a color man who was a former NFL DL. As he said (paraphrasing), "It's not often that I have to look up at someone I'm interviewing and I'm outweighed by 70 pounds." The only player we've ever had who might have been bigger then Shamire. Photo finish, that.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

6-8 (Solid Backups)
Paul Tchio
Jordan Brown
Connor Scaglione
Good point on Robinson.Is he really 275? Hard to believe.
A good comparative point on OL is if Scaglione starts.If he doesn't then we are probably better off than I thought.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Among position groups OL is definitely my biggest concern.

The other item i'm really interested in following as I think it could have a big impact is turnover margin.
Our defense wasn't really that great last year, but they were great at forcing TO's (T14th nationally, and the offense was great at not turning it over much, also T14 nationally). GT forced 24 TO's and had a +11 TO margin (which was 6th nationally, and T5 in avg). That tends to be somewhat cyclical so it would be unwise to assume GT will have that positive of a TO margin this season. GT was Top 10% among P5 in both metrics.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That is a good model but it might not work in 2023 and beyond due to the Portal and NIL. It will take a few years to shake out yet!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That is a good model but it might not work in 2023 and beyond due to the Portal and NIL. It will take a few years to shake out yet!
It's working for Wake right this minute. It is true that this might take awhile to shake out. And, of course and for the umpteenth time, Tech needs to start scheduling to win. No more Ole Miss or other OFC games with nationally ranked opponents, if you please. I'll take Old Dominion or Richmond and live with the risks.

ps: Wake doesn't lose many kids to the portal (thought they lost a big one this year) because their "stars" are so low. Then those kids come out of 2 or 3 years of the development program Clawson runs and squash people right and left.

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Jeez Louise, about time!

Just above we had some fonts wishing for TEs like they had at Ugag over the last two years. We have that athlete, all we have to do is use him. Boyd is 6'2", 232 and cuts a legit 4.4 40. Buster can switch him back and forth between TE and WR just like he did down in (shudder) Athens. Put him out here with the TEs we now have and opposing DCs will lose their hair trying to figure out how to cover the big fast kid and the big bruising kid at the same time.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It's working for Wake right this minute. It is true that this might take awhile to shake out. And, of course and for the umpteenth time, Tech needs to start scheduling to win. No more Ole Miss or other OFC games with nationally ranked opponents, if you please. I'll take Old Dominion or Richmond and live with the risks.

ps: Wake doesn't lose many kids to the portal (thought they lost a big one this year) because their "stars" are so low. Then those kids come out of 2 or 3 years of the development program Clawson runs and squash people right and left.
Clawson does a great job for sure. OL is tough as young players often aren’t physically ready at that position. We still have several OL starters with several years of eligibility left. Will be interesting to see how the young guys push them this and next year