2023 Draft

GT33

Helluva Engineer
If I were drafted by the A's, I may go back to college. From what I've read, the owner of that team is a POS. Although may get to the majors quickly and then be traded if you perform well.
They're moving to Vegas. I can think of worse things. Oakland is the worst place to have a ballpark.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Please correct me if I missed someone but it appears that we had Anderson, Peete and Drake drafted from our list of incoming recruits. And Campbell, Deleo and Finley drafted from our current players. Am I missing anyone?
Relative to this draft you are correct. There are ten more rounds tomorrow.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
After 15 rounds, No Jackets drafted since yesterday.
Reid is in the Portal, no matter what today brings he has leverage.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Looks like this is the only one today:
The Reds took GT signee, Kyle Henley, in the 14th round. Henley out of Denmark HS.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow, I can't believe that Compton and Busse were not drafted. That could be very huge for next year depending in what they decide to do.
I think it means they will both be back next year. Neither has entered the portal and I would think their best bet would be to return for another year and hopefully put up some big numbers to try and improve their draft stock. In Compton's case his draft stock was severely hampered by the injuries he had this year so a strong year next year would seem to be his best option. In Busse's case he is just going into his junior year so he still has some bargaining potential when it comes to next year's draft and would really benefit from a strong year on the flats next season.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Busse is 4th Yr Jr and Compton is true 4YR SR so "age" factor is going to get them next year with no leverage.
Not saying a great year wouldn't help, but they abuse the hell out of the "older" draftees and offer them pennies....
1689117065799.png

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
MLB Draft 2023 Results by Position:

C 37 Draft 29 Coll 6 HS 2 JC

1B; 15 Draft 13 Coll 1 HS 1 JC

2B;16 Draft 16 Coll

SS;67 Draft 40 Coll 26 HS 1 JC

3B 30 Draft 24 Coll 5 HS 1 JC

OF 92 Draft 58 Coll 29 HS 5 JC

RHP; 259 Draft 196 Coll 39 HS 24 JC

LHP; 90 Draft 65 Coll 16 HS 9 JC
This is a great breakdown. Not asking you to do busy work, but I wonder how the college draftees break down by Division and Power Numbers. I would assume a lion share of the college guys were D1 and from a power five school. I believe the number for the SEC and ACC alone were well over 100. Thanks for the info!

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I grabbed that off of twitter.
I'm sure they'll be more break downs.
Interesting they said if your 1B, 2B or 3B and in HS go to College. Not a lot drafted in those positions.
A lot more HS drafted this year, if I remember correctly

CLT had 3 in top 5 and 4 overall. Nice showing

D1 added free agent signing...nothing of concern or newsworthy yet

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Busse is 4th Yr Jr and Compton is true 4YR SR so "age" factor is going to get them next year with no leverage.
Not saying a great year wouldn't help, but they abuse the hell out of the "older" draftees and offer them pennies....
View attachment 14474
Fortunately it appears that Busse will be returning to Tech for another year stating he "has unfinished business" according to a source on another site (thank you KJMC).

I don't disagree with you about the age factor being an issue for them But what other choice do they have other than returning when it comes to trying to improve their draft status? They could transfer but they would still be subject to the age factor. The other thing that I would say on this subject is that MLB appears to be giving more credence to staying in good college programs as opposed to toiling in the low minor leagues than they used to. More and more we are seeing players that stayed in college 3 or 4 years making the climb through the minors much quicker than the kids coming straight from high school.