2023 Coaching Carousel

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Elliot took the South Carolina job to be to be closer to his wife and kids for his Son and Daughter's last years of high school. Can't fault that.
I also think this does present another referendum on just how much of a juggling act the HC role has become. It's no longer about just coaching football and occasionally shaking hands with donors, or even being CEO of an organization. The constant need to recruit and horsetrade to keep one's own players has to be trying. If he can make 600k as a position coach at SC (number pulled out of thin air) compared to 800k as a head coach at GSU, it may be a no-brainer. I can see the extra stress being worth 25%. Add to it the ability to be closer to your family at an important time, and it makes a lot more sense.

I think with the changing direction of CFB (until or unless some new rules are implemented), the pool of people who can handle all that's required to be an HC has gone from tiny to miniscule.
I agree with @ThatGuy more than @BCJacket. His family hasn't mattered that much for 7 years is what he's saying. It was fine for all that time when his kids were growing up.
But the work load has multiplied ten-fold to be a HC.
Listen, I don't blame him getting back to his wife and kids, but why all of a sudden (once spring practice has started) after 7 years are they suddenly more important than they were last year or the year before?

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow

Elliot took the South Carolina job to be to be closer to his wife and kids for his Son and Daughter's last years of high school. Can't fault that.

So they've lived apart for 7 years? They never moved to Georgia? And now, he decides he's had enough, 2 days into spring practice? Right after signing a new class of recruits?
I'm not sure I totally agree with your approval of this move.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with @ThatGuy more than @BCJacket. His family hasn't mattered that much for 7 years is what he's saying. It was fine for all that time when his kids were growing up.
But the work load has multiplied ten-fold to be a HC.
Listen, I don't blame him getting back to his wife and kids, but why all of a sudden (once spring practice has started) after 7 years are they suddenly more important than they were last year or the year before?

You can't take a job you aren't offered. I'm sure his family mattered to him the whole time, but he has to balance his career and his family. But if you've been away from your family for 7 years, better HC jobs closer to your home are not materializing (and may never), your kids are nearing the age where they'll be gone, and you get offered good money to go home... many would jump at that immediately.

It could also be the job changed to something he didn't like anymore with NIL and the transfer portal or maybe in a few days we'll read an article that a co-ed fell off the back of his motorcycle.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
If he can make 600k as a position coach at SC (number pulled out of thin air) compared to 800k as a head coach at GSU, it may be a no-brainer. I can see the extra stress being worth 25%.

Boy, they're going to have to tighten the belt a bit. Look for the GoFundMe coming soon. Maybe some of those SC players can chip in with some of their NIL monies to help fill the gap.

slugboy

Staff member
A name some of us remember—a solid recruiter while he was here—Brian Jean-Mary leaves Tennessee for Michigan

In other news, The strength coach at Ga State is the interim HC

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Can we talk somewhere about weinke being named assistant head coach? Isn’t that kinda crazy or is this more normal than I think? I wonder if this changes his game day decisions and what it means his were in 2023
I wonder if this was more of a retention strategy than anything?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Can we talk somewhere about weinke being named assistant head coach? Isn’t that kinda crazy or is this more normal than I think? I wonder if this changes his game day decisions and what it means his were in 2023
Retention strategy. He might get a raise as well.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I consider this not only a promotion of sorts, but also a way to keep increasing their salary. It looks to me like CBK/ADJB are trying to get GT coaches’ salaries up into a competitive range.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Weinke most likely takes over OC if Buster leaves. I read where everyone in the offensive staff is part of putting the playbook together, so there will be familiarity. Josh Crawford, who was Co-OC at high powered Western Kentucky, also would be a candidate for OC. Unless Buster gets a HC job somewhere and raids Key's OC staff, I expect this staff to be MUCH better prepared for a good OC moving on.

Play calling in under duress will be key. It's one thing to scheme up plays on the white board, it's another thing to do it as the clock is ticking down and the defense is giving you looks you didn't see on film.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Also, as for coaches being fed up with the new landscape of CFB, cry me a river. Coaches have been free to move from job to job and to be compensated according to the market forever; now that players have a bit of the same rights & freedom, some coaches can't handle it? Weak.

More college coaches are looking towards the pro ranks, or gladly stepping back as an assistant to take on less responsibility. We saw it with Boston College's head coach moving to the NFL, and now GA State's HC. Chip Kelly left UCLA to become Ohio State's OC where it's rumored he won't have much recruiting responsibilities and will be able to just focus on X's and O's and coaching. UGA's WR coach, one of the best recruiters in the country, just left to take a position in the NFL.

Being a college coach is VERY rewarding at the P4 level, but it also now means having to recruit year round and deal with NIL. If you're not recruiting HS kids, you're constantly having to recruit your own kids now as well as kids in the portal.

NCAA let the trains come off the track instead of addressing it years ago. Who know what college sports will ultimately look like 5-10 years from now.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
More college coaches are looking towards the pro ranks, or gladly stepping back as an assistant to take on less responsibility. We saw it with Boston College's head coach moving to the NFL, and now GA State's HC. Chip Kelly left UCLA to become Ohio State's OC where it's rumored he won't have much recruiting responsibilities and will be able to just focus on X's and O's and coaching. UGA's WR coach, one of the best recruiters in the country, just left to take a position in the NFL.

Being a college coach is VERY rewarding at the P4 level, but it also now means having to recruit year round and deal with NIL. If you're not recruiting HS kids, you're constantly having to recruit your own kids now as well as kids in the portal.

NCAA let the trains come off the track instead of addressing it years ago. Who know what college sports will ultimately look like 5-10 years from now.

Again. Cry me a river.

Certainly the job has changed. Coaches have always been free to take advantage of the market while having players who were not. Now that it's more fair for the players, coaches who can adapt will thrive, those who can't (or won't) will bail or get left behind.

No doubt there will be plenty of coaches who will succeed in the new landscape. The financial reward is unbelievable so the motivation will be there.