2023 Coaching Carousel

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Wasn’t sure where to post this.

Also, lame person that I am, don’t have a link and can’t remember where I read it yesterday…

But..

Nick Saban says he’s gearing up to be a voice to help NCAA football get back on track. He said, “It’s not college football anymore.”

We can scoff at him quitting when NIL suddenly made his job harder, and some would certainly argue that his teams were semi-pro. But, I don’t think he’s posturing. This is a coach that, despite talent disadvantages, owned Kirby Smart. And, if not for some major injuries, would probably be undefeated against him. So I don’t have any doubt he could still coach in this environment and be competitive. There were a lot of good reasons for him to quit when he did but I honestly think one reason was no longer having the satisfaction of having kids come into the program, watching them grow over time, and seeing them leave feeling proud of their alma mater.

He implies, I think, that a lot of good mentors will be chased out of the coaching business due to the loss of a “college” atmosphere. Plenty of coaches will fill the gaps but many of them will have a far more cynical view of student athletes and have far less interest in molding human beings out of them. It’s a different job now, as many of you have pointed out.

Not a major theme for this thread but a pertinent side piece to this discussion.
I'm curious as to what Saban's proposals are. Maybe he's turned over a new leaf, but honestly, he was very probably part of the system that ruined it in the first place (I realize he probably felt he didn't have a choice).

"It’s the way the business worked back then," Manziel said. "There was a bag man. There was a bag man at LSU. There was a bag man at ‘Bama. There was a bag man at every school around the country if you were competing for a national title"

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Saban was absolutely part of the problem. The proximate issue is money. Saban was the poster boy for inflated coaching salaries. Until I see him actually do something, I’ll consider these to be alligator tears.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Saban was absolutely part of the problem. The proximate issue is money. Saban was the poster boy for inflated coaching salaries. Until I see him actually do something, I’ll consider these to be alligator tears.

Heh, like all the old guard basketball coaches leaving "because of NIL" and transfer portal concerns(sic).

Knowing full well (a)they're just mad because they no longer control the flow of cash and (b) they made a living off jettisoning kids they promised to mentor for x-amount of years to upgrade their roster spot. But now that the kids can bolt whenever, it's a problem.

All these hypocrites can bite me.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Crocodile?

Express Yourself GIF by MOODMAN

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Heh, like all the old guard basketball coaches leaving "because of NIL" and transfer portal concerns(sic).

Knowing full well (a)they're just mad because they no longer control the flow of cash and (b) they made a living off jettisoning kids they promised to mentor for x-amount of years to upgrade their roster spot. But now that the kids can bolt whenever, it's a problem.

All these hypocrites can bite me.

I Feel You Point GIF by Shalita Grant

But, seriously, what is his motivation now. Is it just self aggrandizement?

Any, even so, would we not want him on our side if we think things are in danger of going too far?

Spin Ally GIF by allysingapore

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I Feel You Point GIF by Shalita Grant

But, seriously, what is his motivation now. Is it just self aggrandizement?

Any, even so, would we not want him on our side if we think things are in danger of going too far?

Spin Ally GIF by allysingapore
What's his motivation? Eh, he's used to having his arse ring kissed. Likes the feeling?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Ga State >>> Bowling Green
Sun Belt >>>>>>>>> MAC
No, they are not.

Saying they are better because of their conference is like saying Vandy is better than FSU because the SEC is better than the ACC. The conference is irrelevant.

Regardless, we "should" beat GSU and it should not be a challenge.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
No, they are not.

Saying they are better because of their conference is like saying Vandy is better than FSU because the SEC is better than the ACC. The conference is irrelevant.
I dunno, leather. You know I don't ever wanna disagree with you. But I've been told it just means more in the sec. So, since Bama won some titles, that means Vandy, MissSt, Kentucky and all them other never-wons are borderline NFL teams ... too? Isn't that how it works? :unsure:

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw a quote from Saban where he said that the student part of student athlete doesn't exist anymore. He believes that players should make some money, but he is worried that most of them won't go pro, and also won't have a degree.

Argue if he's serious or not, but that much is correct.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I saw a quote from Saban where he said that the student part of student athlete doesn't exist anymore. He believes that players should make some money, but he is worried that most of them won't go pro, and also won't have a degree.

Compare Saban’s graduation and arrest rates at Alabama to Kirby’s at Georgia. It’s very clear one of them cares more about the future of his players than the other.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Wasn’t sure where to post this.

Also, lame person that I am, don’t have a link and can’t remember where I read it yesterday…

But..

Nick Saban says he’s gearing up to be a voice to help NCAA football get back on track. He said, “It’s not college football anymore.”

We can scoff at him quitting when NIL suddenly made his job harder, and some would certainly argue that his teams were semi-pro. But, I don’t think he’s posturing. This is a coach that, despite talent disadvantages, owned Kirby Smart. And, if not for some major injuries, would probably be undefeated against him. So I don’t have any doubt he could still coach in this environment and be competitive. There were a lot of good reasons for him to quit when he did but I honestly think one reason was no longer having the satisfaction of having kids come into the program, watching them grow over time, and seeing them leave feeling proud of their alma mater.

He implies, I think, that a lot of good mentors will be chased out of the coaching business due to the loss of a “college” atmosphere. Plenty of coaches will fill the gaps but many of them will have a far more cynical view of student athletes and have far less interest in molding human beings out of them. It’s a different job now, as many of you have pointed out.

Not a major theme for this thread but a pertinent side piece to this discussion.
Even Saban can’t fix what has happened to college football

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm curious as to what Saban's proposals are. Maybe he's turned over a new leaf, but honestly, he was very probably part of the system that ruined it in the first place (I realize he probably felt he didn't have a choice).

"It’s the way the business worked back then," Manziel said. "There was a bag man. There was a bag man at LSU. There was a bag man at ‘Bama. There was a bag man at every school around the country if you were competing for a national title"
Unfortunately Saban's proposals have already been struck down. The only way the genie goes back in the bottle is if NCAA sports turn into a semi-pro league with a CBA.

Caps on player compensation = Illegal according to Supreme Court, without a CBA
Restrictions on player transfer = Not enforceable without a CBA. GT doesn't restrict a math major from transferring, it has no power to restrict a football player from transferring.
Restrictions on collectives = Collectives are legal because they are separate from the school. So the only way to restrict it is to tie it to the school, and once you do that Title IX dictates football players can't be paid more. If football is separate, then you can basically work it however you want.

Basically the only way to save college football is to destroy it.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Sigh of relief went up from the crowd.
Maybe copium but I for one was never really that worried about it. Faulkner made $750K as a OC, the last Georgia St HC made $750K. He'd be taking on additional responsibility, for no additional pay, for what is realistically the same odds of landing a P5 job after two years. Dell made a little more ($805K) so he's taking a slight paycut, but his P5 job prospects would be better as a G5 HC than a RB coach at UGA.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Maybe copium but I for one was never really that worried about it. Faulkner made $750K as a OC, the last Georgia St HC made $750K. He'd be taking on additional responsibility, for no additional pay, for what is realistically the same odds of landing a P5 job after two years. Dell made a little more ($805K) so he's taking a slight paycut, but his P5 job prospects would be better as a G5 HC than a RB coach at UGA.

FWIW, a GSU friend of mine said that for the right guy, they will probably see the new HC salary bumped to just under a million. I would assume McGee or Faulkner would fit that bill.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

I think I heard the same interview. Saban will be a very powerful voice in how the future of CFB transforms itself. NIL coupled with unlimited transfers has turned off a lot of people and is running coaches off. Some are taking paycuts to get away from the chaos that has ensued.