2023 Coaching Carousel

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately Saban's proposals have already been struck down. The only way the genie goes back in the bottle is if NCAA sports turn into a semi-pro league with a CBA.

Caps on player compensation = Illegal according to Supreme Court, without a CBA
Restrictions on player transfer = Not enforceable without a CBA. GT doesn't restrict a math major from transferring, it has no power to restrict a football player from transferring.
Restrictions on collectives = Collectives are legal because they are separate from the school. So the only way to restrict it is to tie it to the school, and once you do that Title IX dictates football players can't be paid more. If football is separate, then you can basically work it however you want.

Basically the only way to save college football is to destroy it.
Yeah, I was wondering what he could have in mind that didn't require an act of Congress.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
TechEx Corey Dennis to Analyst job at Ole Miss (Link)

Ohio State to Utah to Ole Miss in the span of a few months post-season.
Strange that he didn't land an on-field job. QB coach for two first-round picks (Justin Fields, CJ Stroud) and people act like Kyle McCord was garbage but 3170 yds, 24 TDs and 6 INTs is a great stat line and he had a better QBR than Jordan Travis, Michael Penix, and Drake Maye. Would think that's more than enough of a resume for somebody to take a chance on him.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Strange that he didn't land an on-field job. QB coach for two first-round picks (Justin Fields, CJ Stroud) and people act like Kyle McCord was garbage but 3170 yds, 24 TDs and 6 INTs is a great stat line and he had a better QBR than Jordan Travis, Michael Penix, and Drake Maye. Would think that's more than enough of a resume for somebody to take a chance on him.
Believe he was let go by tOSU fairly late in the cycle...... I imagine Kiffin was happy to have an opening for him, even if it's an off-field position...

There are high expectations in Oxford this year as they have their Sierra Hotel QB back.... I could easily see Dennis working like Buster Faulkner at UGag with SB.

Maybe Saban's Coaching Career Re-Hab Center has relocated to Oxford :cool: .... Dennis will be there as an Analyst two years tops, longer if he gets an on-field slot.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
Corey Dennis is coaching at Ole Miss????
Oh, the irony.
(If you remember what happened late in the Music City Bowl, you'll get it. One of the worst play calls of CPJ's career.... )

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Smh......

I'm still mad about that lol. I'm still cold too, it was brutal in the upper deck in Nashville that day.
That might be the coldest I’ve ever been in my entire life….the fans where we were sitting weren’t feeling it either as a drunk hotty toddy almost got into a fight with one of our fans. Made for an interesting skirmish

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
Looks like if Ray Beno (number 64) hadn't whiffed his block, that play could have worked quite well.

If a frog had wings lol.
Dennis was a rarely if ever used backup. I don't think he'd touched the ball in a game all year. So you're going to run a trick play featuring him, pitch the ball back to him yards behind the line of scrimmage, deep in your own territory with the game on the line?
Smh. Lol.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If a frog had wings lol.
Dennis was a rarely if ever used backup. I don't think he'd touched the ball in a game all year. So you're going to run a trick play featuring him, pitch the ball back to him yards behind the line of scrimmage, deep in your own territory with the game on the line?
Smh. Lol.
Whatever. The point remains that had the block been made, the play would have turned out fine.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
Whatever. The point remains that had the block been made, the play would have turned out fine.

Dennis fumbled the ball..... into the end zone..... for a safety.

A 5 yard loss because Beno missed a block? Not the end of the world. But Dennis fumbled the ball into the end zone. Again, you don't put the ball in the hands of someone's who's barely played all year in that situation.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Dennis fumbled the ball..... into the end zone..... for a safety.

A 5 yard loss because Beno missed a block? Not the end of the world. But Dennis fumbled the ball into the end zone. Again, you don't put the ball in the hands of someone's who's barely played all year in that situation.
I understand what you're saying about Corey Dennis being in there. I thought when you said it was "one of the worst play calls CPJ made all year", you were referring to the play as it was drawn up. Looked like it would have worked very well had the block been made, but anyone in there would probably have been tackled for a loss because the block was missed. Of course, the fumble made it ten times worse, and perhaps another more seasoned back would have held on to the football.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand what you're saying about Corey Dennis being in there. I thought when you said it was "one of the worst play calls CPJ made all year", you were referring to the play as it was drawn up. Looked like it would have worked very well had the block been made, but anyone in there would probably have been tackled for a loss because the block was missed. Of course, the fumble made it ten times worse, and perhaps another more seasoned back would have held on to the football.

Yes. Exactly.
I should have been clearer that using someone not used to playing or touching the ball in a game was the problem.