2023 Coaching Carousel

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t say it was easy to get one, however, if there is a 25% turnover each year that’s 6-10 NFL jobs a year that are open. You’d better believe the more successful HBCs will be more inclined to jump now, even for coordinator positions, which expands the opportunity to jump leagues.
Possible. So far 1 does not make this a trend. There are rumors Chip Kelly is looking to leave UCLA to be an NFL OC.

Still there are several hundred College football HCs and we have seen 1 leave to be an NFL coordinator. No doubt transfers and NIL are issues some college HCs don’t want to deal with. There will be long lines of college coaches wanting a crack at HC vacancies when one comes open for a college team.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I'd take a pay cut to get out of Massachusetts too. I'm guessing that $1.5M would likely go as far in GB as $3M did in MA. Likely sees more upside in the league and not having HC responsibilities dealing with 18-20 year kids.
He and LaFleur are also friends. I was mildly impressed with the job Hafley did. His teams seemed well prepared when we played them...........especially against TFG.
But then again, who wasn't ? :p

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Possible. So far 1 does not make this a trend. There are rumors Chip Kelly is looking to leave UCLA to be an NFL OC.

Still there are several hundred College football HCs and we have seen 1 leave to be an NFL coordinator. No doubt transfers and NIL are issues some college HCs don’t want to deal with. There will be long lines of college coaches wanting a crack at HC vacancies when one comes open for a college team.
You’ve got Harbaugh and the guy at BC. You have Saban and Carroll outright retiring. You have Kelley jumping for an OC position, it appears. That’s five right there who are moving out of good P5 HC positions either for the NFL or retirement. I may be wrong, but my expectations is more to come in upcoming years.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wouldn't be surprised to see this pick up pace until college athletics comes to some new equilibrium.

Right now you basically have a sport where almost no rules are enforceable.

I think this Scott Van Pelt opinion piece is pretty accurate right now.

"The one word you hear most often from anyone associated with collegiate athletics on the football and basketball sides is -- sustainable. As in, the current situation is not."

"the state of revenue sports is a lawless mess"

"what currently exists is unlimited, unregulated free agency. No professional athletes have this. So, the current state of college coaching could best be described as never-ending fundraising to have the money to sign recruits. And that's followed by never-ending re-recruiting of the players on your team in the hopes they don't head to the portal for more money. But they probably are going to."

"it's not sustainable even at the highest levels as constructed. This will eventually, inevitably, crumble. But who is going to fix it? And how? I don't know."

"NIL supposedly isn't pay for play, but that's exactly what it is because there is nobody to enforce it."

"I don't blame coaches who just decide they've had enough. Or if they compare the pros and cons and decide to go to the pros to take a step back in title for an upgrade in life."

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You’ve got Harbaugh and the guy at BC. You have Saban and Carroll outright retiring. You have Kelley jumping for an OC position, it appears. That’s five right there who are moving out of good P5 HC positions either for the NFL or retirement. I may be wrong, but my expectations is more to come in upcoming years.
Saban retiring was no surprise as that one as it has been coming for a while and it had nothing to do with moving to the NFL. NIL and the Portal certainly could have made it easier to retire this year vice staying on for another year or two. Also the expanded Playoffs might have impacted that decision as well as it will be harder to win at least 3 playoff games vice 1 in the BCS or 2 in the current CFP. For Saban it's winning an NC or bust.

Harbaugh always wanted to go back to the NFL and win a Super Bowl. He has flirted with the NFL for several years. This was the perfect year as he won an NC and Michigan is under NCAA investigations for a myriad of reasons. He left for an NFL HC job. Being an NFL head coach is higher in the pecking order than a College HC anyway. He accomplished what he wanted to do at Michigan.
Carroll was politely shoved out of the HC position, had nothing to do with College coaches or the crap college coaches deal with.

Basically it's Hafley and possibly Kelly that are tired of the College crap that have/possibly will take NFL Coordinator positions. There could be more in the future for sure. A lot depends on how the former college HCs perform in the NFL as coordinators. The NFL is a copycat league. If Hafely is wildly successful then the NFL could come shopping for offensive minded college HCs. Most will likely be on the offensive side. That is where college has been generally more progressive than the NFL.

Without a doubt College Coaches are dealing with a lot more crap now than even 5 years ago. We saw this in ACC BB as 3 all time coaches retired. Clearly the Portal and NIL did impact Roy, Coach K and JIm B decisions to retire.

I think there might be a few but nothing like a trend for college football FBS HCs going to the NFL for coordinator or lower positions. Schools like BC and UCLA seem to be the type schools where this could happen. Good jobs but very unlikely to ever win their conferences. Of course than covers most P4 HC jobs including GT. Fortunately we don't have to worry about Key leaving for the NFL!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Saban retiring was no surprise as that one as it has been coming for a while and it had nothing to do with moving to the NFL. NIL and the Portal certainly could have made it easier to retire this year vice staying on for another year or two. Also the expanded Playoffs might have impacted that decision as well as it will be harder to win at least 3 playoff games vice 1 in the BCS or 2 in the current CFP. For Saban it's winning an NC or bust.

Harbaugh always wanted to go back to the NFL and win a Super Bowl. He has flirted with the NFL for several years. This was the perfect year as he won an NC and Michigan is under NCAA investigations for a myriad of reasons. He left for an NFL HC job. Being an NFL head coach is higher in the pecking order than a College HC anyway. He accomplished what he wanted to do at Michigan.
Carroll was politely shoved out of the HC position, had nothing to do with College coaches or the crap college coaches deal with.

Basically it's Hafley and possibly Kelly that are tired of the College crap that have/possibly will take NFL Coordinator positions. There could be more in the future for sure. A lot depends on how the former college HCs perform in the NFL as coordinators. The NFL is a copycat league. If Hafely is wildly successful then the NFL could come shopping for offensive minded college HCs. Most will likely be on the offensive side. That is where college has been generally more progressive than the NFL.

Without a doubt College Coaches are dealing with a lot more crap now than even 5 years ago. We saw this in ACC BB as 3 all time coaches retired. Clearly the Portal and NIL did impact Roy, Coach K and JIm B decisions to retire.

I think there might be a few but nothing like a trend for college football FBS HCs going to the NFL for coordinator or lower positions. Schools like BC and UCLA seem to be the type schools where this could happen. Good jobs but very unlikely to ever win their conferences. Of course than covers most P4 HC jobs including GT. Fortunately we don't have to worry about Key leaving for the NFL!
It’s amazing how you know what these guys are thinking. Savant, I say.

A larger discussion is the effect NIL/Portal are having on CFB coaches. Some are just retiring while others are making the jump.

Meanwhile, some fans just think it’s all good. LOL.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

slugboy

Staff member
I would be shocked if he left for Kentucky.
It looks like they just want an OC and to keep the other existing coaches.

It’s a risk, but I think there are options that fit Kentucky better, especially since the new OC needs to fit with the rest of the staff

Holgorsen, Hamdan, and Johns all look like better fits, and two of them are unemployed now

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I wouldn't be surprised to see this pick up pace until college athletics comes to some new equilibrium.

Right now you basically have a sport where almost no rules are enforceable.

I think this Scott Van Pelt opinion piece is pretty accurate right now.

"The one word you hear most often from anyone associated with collegiate athletics on the football and basketball sides is -- sustainable. As in, the current situation is not."

"the state of revenue sports is a lawless mess"

"what currently exists is unlimited, unregulated free agency. No professional athletes have this. So, the current state of college coaching could best be described as never-ending fundraising to have the money to sign recruits. And that's followed by never-ending re-recruiting of the players on your team in the hopes they don't head to the portal for more money. But they probably are going to."

"it's not sustainable even at the highest levels as constructed. This will eventually, inevitably, crumble. But who is going to fix it? And how? I don't know."

"NIL supposedly isn't pay for play, but that's exactly what it is because there is nobody to enforce it."

"I don't blame coaches who just decide they've had enough. Or if they compare the pros and cons and decide to go to the pros to take a step back in title for an upgrade in life."
Sounds like SVP hangs out here

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It’s amazing how you know what these guys are thinking. Savant, I say.

A larger discussion is the effect NIL/Portal are having on CFB coaches. Some are just retiring while others are making the jump.

Meanwhile, some fans just think it’s all good. LOL.
What is the issue with coaches moving from college to the NFL. There are a whole lot of NFL coaches that spent some time coaching at the college level. That’s not new at all.

If there is a string of college HCs from P4 colleges taking assistant coaching positions in the NFL that would be a concern.

So far it’s 1 with a possible 2nd being rumored.

Does that bother/concern you? If so why?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The number of college coaches who have spoken out against what is happening has been fairly significant. This season we see two clear example and two other longtime coaches retiring, one of whom is an outspoken critic, may just be coincidental, or it may be part of a nascent trend. We’ll have to wait to see that.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The number of college coaches who have spoken out against what is happening has been fairly significant. This season we see two clear example and two other longtime coaches retiring, one of whom is an outspoken critic, may just be coincidental, or it may be part of a nascent trend. We’ll have to wait to see that.
Which longtime college coach besides Saban retired. No doubt the current issues hastened his decision. I can’t think of a second in football. In basketball for sure several have.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Some Kentucky folks are suggesting UK may go after Buster Faulkner now that their OC is going back to the NFL (again). I suspect they could certainly pay better than us.

There are rumors that Stoops can’t stay out of the offense and it contributed to their OC leaving, all other crappy things about KY aside I can’t imagine why Buster would want to take that job, a couple more good years at GT and he will be a hot HC candidate

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
What is the issue with coaches moving from college to the NFL. There are a whole lot of NFL coaches that spent some time coaching at the college level. That’s not new at all.

If there is a string of college HCs from P4 colleges taking assistant coaching positions in the NFL that would be a concern.

So far it’s 1 with a possible 2nd being rumored.

Does that bother/concern you? If so why?
We have a family friend that’s a college coach. He wants to get back in the pros. He has no family life as a CFB coordinator.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

Bill O'Brien to Boston College? He did a good job at Penn State post-Paterno, but the Texans stint ended in disaster and, in my opinion, he was absolutely carried by talent both with the Patriots and with Alabama. My only worry is he would convince Julian Sayin to come with him.