2023 Coaching Carousel

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I wasn’t suggesting it would solve GT’s problems. I’m suggesting that a national power uga, dominating the SEC and cleaning up on recruiting throughout the entire southeast makes GT’s problems harder to solve.
They already are. They just won back to back natties and 29 games in a row. Yet Tech has already shown signs of becoming a promising program once again. At this point there’s almost nothing more UGA can do except win 3 natties in a row, which the 12 team playoff will actually make somewhat harder. Now that the 40 year drought it over there’s basically nothing they can do over there that impacts Tech’s operations in the slightest.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
They already are. They just won back to back natties and 29 games in a row. Yet Tech has already shown signs of becoming a promising program once again. At this point there’s almost nothing more UGA can do except win 3 natties in a row, which the 12 team playoff will actually make somewhat harder. Now that the 40 year drought it over there’s basically nothing they can do over there that impacts Tech’s operations in the slightest.
Starting to win the SEC on a consistent basis would be their next goal which would pretty much sew up recruiting in the south.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I wasn’t suggesting it would solve GT’s problems. I’m suggesting that a national power uga, dominating the SEC and cleaning up on recruiting throughout the entire southeast makes GT’s problems harder to solve.
What I am suggesting is that having Bama be an equally corrupt and powerful program is worse for Tech than just ugag alone. No, I do not want ugag to win every year, but I see no benefit to Tech in Bama being just as strong a program. In fact, the more other programs around us struggle, the better it is for us.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Starting to win the SEC on a consistent basis would be their next goal which would pretty much sew up recruiting in the south.
They haven’t had a single recruiting class outside the top 5 since Kirby took over. According to Rivals they’ve had the #1 overall recruiting class 4 times since 2017. They aren’t even worried about recruiting the south anymore. In their #1 ranked class this year they have 28 commits and only 9 of them are from Georgia. A good number are from places totally outside the southeast, like California, New York, and Nevada. If anything them continuing to recruit nationally instead of locally should help Tech.

They’ve played in the SECCG 6 times in Kirby’s 8 years, winning it twice. They’ve played in 3 national championship games, winning it twice. They’ve played in a NY6 Bowl Game in each of the last 7 seasons, going 6-1 in those games.

There is literally nothing more they can do other than just outright winning the NC every year, which hell they might. Doesn’t change the fact that Tech can still be a solid program. Auburn literally won a national championship and played for another in the middle of Saban’s reign at Bama, under 2 different head coaches. Tech can still win 9-10+ games, finish ranked, and even beat UGA every once in awhile even if they become the most prominent program in the country. Which newsflash; they probably already are.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
They haven’t had a single recruiting class outside the top 5 since Kirby took over. According to Rivals they’ve had the #1 overall recruiting class 4 times since 2017. They aren’t even worried about recruiting the south anymore. In their #1 ranked class this year they have 28 commits and only 9 of them are from Georgia. A good number are from places totally outside the southeast, like California, New York, and Nevada. If anything them continuing to recruit nationally instead of locally should help Tech.

They’ve played in the SECCG 6 times in Kirby’s 8 years, winning it twice. They’ve played in 3 national championship games, winning it twice. They’ve played in a NY6 Bowl Game in each of the last 7 seasons, going 6-1 in those games.

There is literally nothing more they can do other than just outright winning the NC every year, which hell they might. Doesn’t change the fact that Tech can still be a solid program. Auburn literally won a national championship and played for another in the middle of Saban’s reign at Bama, under 2 different head coaches. Tech can still win 9-10+ games, finish ranked, and even beat UGA every once in awhile even if they become the most prominent program in the country. Which newsflash; they probably already are.
Like the overall thesis of your response with the added emphasis that Tech is on the rise.

But I just don’t see it the same way. Uga winning the SEC 30% of the time does not yet make them an established power. Don’t get me wrong, a few more years of winning the SEC consistently could quickly establish them. Alabama always stood in the way and my uga family members absolutely feared Saban because he was the bane of their existence. They popped the champagne corks when he retired. I just think those who think this can’t get worse are kidding themselves.

But I’m ok agreeing to disagree about this.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What I am suggesting is that having Bama be an equally corrupt and powerful program is worse for Tech than just ugag alone. No, I do not want ugag to win every year, but I see no benefit to Tech in Bama being just as strong a program. In fact, the more other programs around us struggle, the better it is for us.
OK. We shall see.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Like the overall thesis of your response with the added emphasis that Tech is on the rise.

But I just don’t see it the same way. Uga winning the SEC 30% of the time does not yet make them an established power. Don’t get me wrong, a few more years of winning the SEC consistently could quickly establish them. Alabama always stood in the way and my uga family members absolutely feared Saban because he was the bane of their existence. They popped the champagne corks when he retired. I just think those who think this can’t get worse are kidding themselves.

UGA has won 2 National Championships since Saban won his last. They were the only team to repeat as champions in the 4-team CFP era. I just really don’t see how they aren’t an established power already lol. They have been the 1-B to Alabama’s 1-A for several years now, the exact same as Clemson in the first half of the CFP era. Now that Bama will probably take a step back at least for a bit, UGA is the clear cut #1. Even still, I don’t have any clue how any of this makes Tech any worse off. Sure everyday life in the state of Georgia seeing dwag gear everywhere could get slightly more annoying, but I just really don’t think there’s anything else they can do as program that can harm Tech in any way.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
UGA has always had top recruiting classes. No news there. The difference is, it is apparent the school made a commitment when they hired Karby that they would look the other way academically and socially in order to win at the level they wanted. They’ve got that now. How long till some major probation or legal issue hits them that they cannot duck? At some point something will happen.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
UGA has won 2 National Championships since Saban won his last. They were the only team to repeat as champions in the 4-team CFP era. I just really don’t see how they aren’t an established power already lol. They have been the 1-B to Alabama’s 1-A for several years now, the exact same as Clemson in the first half of the CFP era. Now that Bama will probably take a step back at least for a bit, UGA is the clear cut #1. Even still, I don’t have any clue how any of this makes Tech any worse off. Sure everyday life in the state of Georgia seeing dwag gear everywhere could get slightly more annoying, but I just really don’t think there’s anything else they can do as program that can harm Tech in any way.
Well, to be fair, a 12 team college playoff probably makes winning the SEC superfluous. So you are right. Uga is lucky that they are ascending on the national level just as the mystique of SEC championships is starting to compare with playing in the Orange Bowl.

Thinking about the SEC, Alabama has won it more than twice as many times as uga, and, until the 1980s uga had only one more SEC championship than Ga Tech.

Sec championships. They used to mean more.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
UGA has always had top recruiting classes. No news there. The difference is, it is apparent the school made a commitment when they hired Karby that they would look the other way academically and socially in order to win at the level they wanted. They’ve got that now. How long till some major probation or legal issue hits them that they cannot duck? At some point something will happen.
They really are the cesspool of the south.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
The NCAA is dead. No one is getting probation anymore.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Maybe ESPN will do a 30 for 30 expose on u(sic)ga’s seemingly lack of control over the football program and their willingness to turn a blind eye toward the academic and social issues.

(I crack myself up sometimes🤣🤣🤣)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I guess I bought into the announcement that he was staying as an "advisor" and would assist the transition. :D
I think Saban, unlike Kirby Smart, has integrity. He would explain the facts of life to players who would be under a new coach with his own ideas about roles and starters. He would not sugar coat it but would explain if they are good enough to maintain their position in the pecking order they would be fine. Some of these would rather transfer to a program that is going to show them a lot more love up front. Saban would try to make sure they know what they are doing but would not stand in their way.

As for assisting the transition, I imagine Saban would explain where the stumps are under the water, how to stay on good terms with the administration, and give honest player evaluations. He would be available to help in any way.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

Alabama won the SEC 53% of the time and, over the first 8 years of Saban's tenure, 37% of the time. They are pretty much were Alabama was circa 2013. They already have established dominance over the SEC but, much like Alabama had LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, and Texas A&M, thorns in their side will rise and fall.

Georgia was pretty lucky to only draw four top-10 opponents over the past three years (Ole Miss 2023, Tennessee 2022, and two paper tigers in Arkansas 2021, Clemson 2021). They are the clear-cut No. 1 next year but I doubt we see them go undefeated if they have to play Clemson, Texas, Alabama, Ole Miss, and Tennessee.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
Alabama won the SEC 53% of the time and, over the first 8 years of Saban's tenure, 37% of the time. They are pretty much were Alabama was circa 2013. They already have established dominance over the SEC but, much like Alabama had LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, and Texas A&M, thorns in their side will rise and fall.

Georgia was pretty lucky to only draw four top-10 opponents over the past three years (Ole Miss 2023, Tennessee 2022, and two paper tigers in Arkansas 2021, Clemson 2021). They are the clear-cut No. 1 next year but I doubt we see them go undefeated if they have to play Clemson, Texas, Alabama, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and US.
Fixed it for ya...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bill O'Brien to OSU it appears...quite a unique combo between Day and O'Brien. Should also help Corey Dennis in his coaching development. O'Brien can coach QBs.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Bill O'Brien to OSU it appears...quite a unique combo between Day and O'Brien. Should also help Corey Dennis in his coaching development. O'Brien can coach QBs.

Interesting mix as Day is an offensive guy. Hope they fail spectacularly. Not an Ohio State fan. Their fans are entitled as Alabama’s and Georgia’s fans.