2023 Coaching Carousel

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Again. Cry me a river.

Certainly the job has changed. Coaches have always been free to take advantage of the market while having players who were not. Now that it's more fair for the players, coaches who can adapt will thrive, those who can't (or won't) will bail or get left behind.

No doubt there will be plenty of coaches who will succeed in the new landscape. The financial reward is unbelievable so the motivation will be there.
No one's crying anyone a river. He's simply stating facts.

Another fact you neglect to mention: coaches sign contracts >1 year, and they have buyouts to pay should they leave. So while yes, they were still able to take advantage of the market, the market has always had some incentive to keep them where they are. This is very different from the situation with players right now.

As for your last statement, I agree. There will always be someone who will try and do something unreasonable when offered a large sum of money. Doesn't mean they won't regret it later - or that the ask is not unreasonable in the first place.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

slugboy

Staff member
If GSU gives us a challenge then we are in a lot worse shape that we should be.
That’s a common and popular perception. I also think it’s wrong.

If you look at Saban’s tenure at Alabama, there was occasionally a team like Ga Southern who would give them more of a game than they should—Bama would beat Mississippi State and Arkansas by four touchdowns, but have a three point lead against a G5 team going into the 4th.

And that’s with a defense full of four and five star players that can put-talent a G5 team.

Every year, teams with “top 25” talent get pushed to the wire or lose to G5 teams.

In contrast, we aren’t in that category of talent loaded teams—especially on defense—that can take anyone lightly. And even the talent loaded teams can’t

We don’t have any “five stars” on the team. We have one or two defense who got late round honors (honorable mention or third team) when selecting all conference players—no first-teamers. At this point, we don’t have a defense that will consistently control the game on days when the offense is having a bad day.

Until there’s an expectation that our defense will consistently take over games, every team on our schedule is a substantial threat.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Good news—we may have more time with Faulkner
Bad news—McGee will probably give us a challenge this fall
McGee is a great coach, but they are having no spring practice/spring game. I feel like that’s too much to ask for them to be ready to go week 1 against us. Maybe a couple of years down the road.

Dman374

Georgia Tech Fan
I was worried before their former coach left for South Carolina. Whoever the new coach is, what’s the coaching staff under him going to look like? Is it just automatically assumed the current staff stays in place?

We’re a superior roster. If we’re not looking past this game to Syracuse we’ll be fine. They’ll definitely get up for this game, and as long as we take it serious I’m not worried.

The only thing that would worry me is if Buster actually takes this job, and Geep goes with him. Then we’re looking at our own snowball effects to solve on our end. Not just for that game, but what that could snowball into for the rest of the season. Thinking outside the box, like will any Faulkner/Geep recruits go with him, spring portal window of players leaving for teams other than Georgia State because they don’t have the relationships with the replacement coaches. I do agree, it appears Wenke is being groomed to take over the offense, but maybe certain players have different relationships between those two. Faulkner by himself I think we’re in better shape, just want to clarify, but wouldn’t surprise me if Geep follows Buster. I don’t think this would happen, but just thinking out loud on “what if’s”.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

If you look at Saban’s tenure at Alabama, there was occasionally a team like Ga Southern who would give them more of a game than they should—Bama would beat Mississippi State and Arkansas by four touchdowns, but have a three point lead against a G5 team going into the 4th.

And that’s with a defense full of four and five star players that can put-talent a G5 team.

Every year, teams with “top 25” talent get pushed to the wire or lose to G5 teams.

In contrast, we aren’t in that category of talent loaded teams—especially on defense—that can take anyone lightly. And even the talent loaded teams can’t

We don’t have any “five stars” on the team. We have one or two defense who got late round honors (honorable mention or third team) when selecting all conference players—no first-teamers. At this point, we don’t have a defense that will consistently control the game on days when the offense is having a bad day.

Until there’s an expectation that our defense will consistently take over games, every team on our schedule is a substantial threat.

Also, this is essentially a "home game" for them. Sure, they will likely be outnumbered in the stands, but nothing in GTs recent history leads me to believe our fans are going to show up for a G5 game. This is their opportunity to play in a P5 stadium right in their own city. With ticket prices sure to be reasonable and loads of tickets sure to be available, I wouldn't be shocked if they put 10-12k plus in our stadium.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

If GSU is a challenge for us, then we will not win four games next year IMO. Losing to them would be a worse loss than Bowling Green last year. They are second easiest game on our schedule. I never said we can take them for granted or that we do not have the capacity to make the game more of a challenge than it "should". Given the strength of our schedule we need to beat the bad teams handily. If we do not, we are much worse shape than we "should" be.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
If GSU is a challenge for us, then we will not win four games next year IMO. Losing to them would be a worse loss than Bowling Green last year. They are second easiest game on our schedule. I never said we can take them for granted or that we do not have the capacity to make the game more of a challenge than it "should". Given the strength of our schedule we need to beat the bad teams handily. If we do not, we are much worse shape than we "should" be.

Ga State >>> Bowling Green
Sun Belt >>>>>>>>> MAC

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Wasn’t sure where to post this.

Also, lame person that I am, don’t have a link and can’t remember where I read it yesterday…

But..

Nick Saban says he’s gearing up to be a voice to help NCAA football get back on track. He said, “It’s not college football anymore.”

We can scoff at him quitting when NIL suddenly made his job harder, and some would certainly argue that his teams were semi-pro. But, I don’t think he’s posturing. This is a coach that, despite talent disadvantages, owned Kirby Smart. And, if not for some major injuries, would probably be undefeated against him. So I don’t have any doubt he could still coach in this environment and be competitive. There were a lot of good reasons for him to quit when he did but I honestly think one reason was no longer having the satisfaction of having kids come into the program, watching them grow over time, and seeing them leave feeling proud of their alma mater.

He implies, I think, that a lot of good mentors will be chased out of the coaching business due to the loss of a “college” atmosphere. Plenty of coaches will fill the gaps but many of them will have a far more cynical view of student athletes and have far less interest in molding human beings out of them. It’s a different job now, as many of you have pointed out.

Not a major theme for this thread but a pertinent side piece to this discussion.