2023 Atlanta Braves

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep, I did it again, got tired of watching K's and gave up ... WOW, definitely could be a series momentum changer !!!
I prefer the phrase "they do better when I'm not watching"..... yeah, that's the story I'm going with lol

But for real, it's just that much sweeter that Harper was the one to get too greedy and cause the game-ending double play. For whatever reason, days off just seem to plague the Braves year after year. Our bats go quiet and it takes us too much time to wake them up. Time is not a luxury that we have in a Divisional Series. Glad they woke up and started hitting nukes again. We really need to come out and put up a nice crooked number in the first inning in Philly. Punch them in the mouth like they have been doing to us. Who do we trust to walk into Philly and start a playoff game? Elder? Smith-Shawver? Could we ask Strider to go on short rest? I definitely do not envy Snit's decision here.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yep, I did it again, got tired of watching K's and gave up ... WOW, definitely could be a series momentum changer !!!

Haha, all is forgiven. Never pull out before the fumble, gtj. ;)

I prefer the phrase "they do better when I'm not watching"..... yeah, that's the story I'm going with lol

But for real, it's just that much sweeter that Harper was the one to get too greedy and cause the game-ending double play. For whatever reason, days off just seem to plague the Braves year after year. Our bats go quiet and it takes us too much time to wake them up. Time is not a luxury that we have in a Divisional Series. Glad they woke up and started hitting nukes again. We really need to come out and put up a nice crooked number in the first inning in Philly. Punch them in the mouth like they have been doing to us. Who do we trust to walk into Philly and start a playoff game? Elder? Smith-Shawver? Could we ask Strider to go on short rest? I definitely do not envy Snit's decision here.

How has Elder's pitch-to-contact approach done vs PHI? It almost has to be him not the rookie. But I'm scared of his pitches vs that lineup.

And, as dicey as our situation seems, look at LAD. Sheeeeeesh......

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Brave's pitching is their achilles heel. Morton and Elder are not the answer. If Fried is done, so are the Braves.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Haha, all is forgiven. Never pull out before the fumble, gtj. ;)

How has Elder's pitch-to-contact approach done vs PHI? It almost has to be him not the rookie. But I'm scared of his pitches vs that lineup.

And, as dicey as our situation seems, look at LAD. Sheeeeeesh......
Yeah LAD has it rough, but they are just surviving this year in order to make a run at Ohtani. I'd really like to face the D-backs, but we split the season series 3-3 with them while we could probably feast against LAD.

If this were the first half of the year, I'd say sent Bryce out there and even expect us to win the game. His second half stats regressed terribly though and fatigue is thought to have played a role in that. I think it's too risky to send a struggling pitcher out there and just hope for three or four innings out of him. Plus, Philly has had no issues getting on base so far this series, so I don't know if I want a guy who specializes in getting outs through putting the ball in play on the mound. We need to prevent runners, not give more opportunities. Plus, Bryce got hit pretty hard when he faced them back in September. Smith-Shawver has yet to face him which might work in our favor? It's really a tough call to make...

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

Absolutely, I re-watched the game winning double-play multiple times and my favorite part was the look on Harpers face as the Braves players and Fans went wild !!

I think the Braves come out of their hitting blues today and score some runs, Nola isn't the same pitcher he was back when he had his good stuff.
As far as pitching today its pretty much a crap shoot. eeeny-meeny-miney-moe ??? We definitely need the Baseball gods to shine down upon us today.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
.... We need to prevent runners, not give more opportunities. Plus, Bryce got hit pretty hard when he faced them back in September. Smith-Shawver has yet to face him which might work in our favor? It's really a tough call to make...

Agreed. I'm not sure my heart can take the cutesy 'make em hit it but hope they don't hit it out' approach.

As an aside, why does it seem the Braves lean to those types of pitchers so much? Guys' fastball top out at 92-93 but 'oh he knows how ta pitch'. That's cool and all but it also forces the guy to have to be perfect every pitch. Just not sustainable, imho. Greg Maddux was great for a reason. He was an exception. I'm not versed in baseball like most of yall. Am I wrong here?

Absolutely, I re-watched the game winning double-play multiple times and my favorite part was the look on Harpers face as the Braves players and Fans went wild !!

I think the Braves come out of their hitting blues today and score some runs, Nola isn't the same pitcher he was back when he had his good stuff.
As far as pitching today its pretty much a crap shoot. eeeny-meeny-miney-moe ??? We definitely need the Baseball gods to shine down upon us today.

Yeah, I'll always have that moment when he realized he was fk'd. About 6 steps past 2nd, the crowd erupted and he realized "fudge, I prolly shouda been lookin ta see if'n he made tha catch."

He was all ...
Oh No Omg GIF by The Office

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
I still have some hope, but I hear the fat lady gargling ... (sic)

On top of the lack of pitching, another double-digit strike-out game for the Braves ???
It’s really quite amazing how putrid our “historic” offense looks right now. A buddy of mine and I were talking last night and I brought up the fact that we are the only 100+ win team left standing. It just seems like we get hot at the wrong time and we can’t put it all together when we need it the most. If we can somehow claw out a win tonight, I’ll feel better about a game 5 back home, but I just don’t know where we will get the offense from. I mean, on paper we should be able to hit Suarez and we should have a decided edge sending Strider out there. I’d even say we should have a slight edge in game 5, but our offense is MIA. I didn’t watch a single playoff game in 2021 when we won it all, and I’m thinking maybe I need to keep myself busy tonight to try and recreate that mojo….

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
It’s really quite amazing how putrid our “historic” offense looks right now. A buddy of mine and I were talking last night and I brought up the fact that we are the only 100+ win team left standing. It just seems like we get hot at the wrong time and we can’t put it all together when we need it the most. If we can somehow claw out a win tonight, I’ll feel better about a game 5 back home, but I just don’t know where we will get the offense from. I mean, on paper we should be able to hit Suarez and we should have a decided edge sending Strider out there. I’d even say we should have a slight edge in game 5, but our offense is MIA. I didn’t watch a single playoff game in 2021 when we won it all, and I’m thinking maybe I need to keep myself busy tonight to try and recreate that mojo….
Baseball is a funny game, I'm not sure there is any strategy for being mediocre for 162 games just good enough to make the post season and then be able to flip the switch and turn on the juice in the playoffs ?? ... but the Phillies might accomplish this in back-to-back seasons,

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Baseball is a funny game, I'm not sure there is any strategy for being mediocre for 162 games just good enough to make the post season and then be able to flip the switch and turn on the juice in the playoffs ?? ... but the Phillies might accomplish this in back-to-back seasons,
One of the things I have noticed this series is the pitching difference. When Strider attacked the zone in game one, he found success. When Fried pitched, he admitted to not having his best stuff, but he tried to attack the zone best he could and had relative success. When Elder pitched the first two innings, he generally attacked the zone, but generated swings and misses with his slider low. When he got hit, it was because he got too cute imo and tried to be "perfect". He doesn't have the velo to blow guys away so he has to be able to hit his spot to be successful. On the other side, the Phils are just pounding the zone on us and daring us to beat them. What a strategy to employ against our lineup of all lineups! But it's working. I think that's the part that has me so befuddled. It's not like we are chasing a ton of bad pitches, we just aren't hitting the ones in the zone. Plus, they are really hamstringing our righties with inside pitches. It's apparent that they want to own the middle third against our righties and its paying dividends for them. Whatever we thought they were going to do going into the series, they obviously haven't done. It's time our hitters make the adjustment and just focus on getting the ball in play. We did a better job of that last night, generating 10 hits, but we couldn't cash them in. Oddly enough, the only game that we have hit a home run in, we won.

Also, if we ever pitch to Harper again with runners on, it'll be too soon. I'd rather Bohm beat us at this point than Harper. (BTW Bohm won't beat us) Solo shots are fine, but it's these two and three run homers that are really demoralizing. I actually told my wife right before he hit the three run shot that "this is the time when Harper hits a three run homer on us". Once he hit it, she stared at me in disbelief. He's just done it to us way to often to not see it coming anymore.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am not giving up hope just yet. Game one was a stinker and with Wheeler and Nola starting games 2 and 3 the chance of being swept was high. We won a game with their ace pitching and Nola shut us down. We don't face either of them again this year. The Phillies, however, face our two best pitchers in games 4 and 5. If Strider and Fried can minimize the damage, we have a good shot at pulling this out.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Stick a fork in them. They are done. During the off season get 2 ace pitchers. Great O, Terrble pitching staff, including bullpin.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Too many articles showed up in my news feed fawning over the Phillies and why they may have the greatest home field advantage in baseball. It was my patriotic duty to refuse to read these.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
One of the things I have noticed this series is the pitching difference. When Strider attacked the zone in game one, he found success. When Fried pitched, he admitted to not having his best stuff, but he tried to attack the zone best he could and had relative success. When Elder pitched the first two innings, he generally attacked the zone, but generated swings and misses with his slider low. When he got hit, it was because he got too cute imo and tried to be "perfect". He doesn't have the velo to blow guys away so he has to be able to hit his spot to be successful. On the other side, the Phils are just pounding the zone on us and daring us to beat them. What a strategy to employ against our lineup of all lineups! But it's working. I think that's the part that has me so befuddled. It's not like we are chasing a ton of bad pitches, we just aren't hitting the ones in the zone. Plus, they are really hamstringing our righties with inside pitches. It's apparent that they want to own the middle third against our righties and its paying dividends for them. Whatever we thought they were going to do going into the series, they obviously haven't done. It's time our hitters make the adjustment and just focus on getting the ball in play. We did a better job of that last night, generating 10 hits, but we couldn't cash them in. Oddly enough, the only game that we have hit a home run in, we won.

Also, if we ever pitch to Harper again with runners on, it'll be too soon. I'd rather Bohm beat us at this point than Harper. (BTW Bohm won't beat us) Solo shots are fine, but it's these two and three run homers that are really demoralizing. I actually told my wife right before he hit the three run shot that "this is the time when Harper hits a three run homer on us". Once he hit it, she stared at me in disbelief. He's just done it to us way to often to not see it coming anymore.
I agree, our pitching coming into the series was going to be a concern, Max coming off the IL, Charlie going on the IL, Strider has been inconsistent for a while, Elder hasn't been the same since the All-Star break and all the young arms lack post-season experience. But, as you said, what's up with the hitting ??? It's not like we haven't seen these pitchers before.