2023 Atlanta Braves

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Talk to me, baseball folx. A couple things...

- Dang, Mets. Yall stink. What a precipitous drop since the 'thow it agin!' moment. The reports that their 1B is actually part of the problem seemed off at first. But, the more you watch him/them, I could see it.

- What Ohtani does is amazing. Remarkable. But I don't think he'll ever be part of a winning team doing all he does. Seems like everything has to center around him. I'm not saying he has that type of ego. I'm saying all the preparation of the team has to revolve around him, which isn't conducive to winning consistently.

Just my too sense. What say yall?,

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

- Dang, Mets. Yall stink. What a precipitous drop since the 'thow it agin!' moment. The reports that their 1B is actually part of the problem seemed off at first. But, the more you watch him/them, I could see it.

- What Ohtani does is amazing. Remarkable. But I don't think he'll ever be part of a winning team doing all he does. Seems like everything has to center around him. I'm not saying he has that type of ego. I'm saying all the preparation of the team has to revolve around him, which isn't conducive to winning consistently.

I agree on Ohtani. If it was me I'd teach him 1B and let him DH and play 1B.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

My first thought was that you were trying to flame up our good buddy, @CINCYMETJACKET ? Then, it hit me that Pete Alonso could be a problem.
I don’t know enough about his situation, although losing, underachievement and overspending, can create chaos. I’m not sure the middling .500% ball the Yankees are playing while overspending as well, takes some of the NYC heat off the Amazin’s(Metropolitan City Field-ers).

Agree with you on Ohtani. The Angels probably can’t afford P.R. wise, to let him walk away this Winter. And yes, they typically don’t experience the winning his services deserve.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I agree on Ohtani. If it was me I'd teach him 1B and let him DH and play 1B.
I posted before realizing he got hurt. Hope he makes it back. But, when he does, he'd be a position-player only if it was me paying him.
My first thought was that you were trying to flame up our good buddy, @CINCYMETJACKET ? Then, it hit me that Pete Alonso could be a problem.
I don’t know enough about his situation, although losing, underachievement and overspending, can create chaos. I’m not sure the middling .500% ball the Yankees are playing while overspending as well, takes some of the NYC heat off the Amazin’s(Metropolitan City Field-ers).

Agree with you on Ohtani. The Angels probably can’t afford P.R. wise, to let him walk away this Winter. And yes, they typically don’t experience the winning his services deserve.

No shade at CincyM. Just giving my opinion from a thousand miles from Flushing (isn't that where they used to play?)

Alonso seems miscast as their leader(sic). I recall in their game vs the Barves a few weeks ago. He got out or something then went into the dugout and basically destroyed a helmet or something. Just an odd guy to me. An odd collection of guys there. Like, explain the Nimmo guy. Super solid player but he's a fast guy that can't steal bases. That strikes me as weird. I have a stronger opinion on that but I don't wanna make people mad. Long story long, I feel it's a red flag. Freaking learn how to steal, man!

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I posted before realizing he got hurt. Hope he makes it back. But, when he does, he'd be a position-player only if it was me paying him.

No shade at CincyM. Just giving my opinion from a thousand miles from Flushing (isn't that where they used to play?)

Alonso seems miscast as their leader(sic). I recall in their game vs the Barves a few weeks ago. He got out or something then went into the dugout and basically destroyed a helmet or something. Just an odd guy to me. An odd collection of guys there. Like, explain the Nimmo guy. Super solid player but he's a fast guy that can't steal bases. That strikes me as weird. I have a stronger opinion on that but I don't wanna make people mad. Long story long, I feel it's a red flag. Freaking learn how to steal, man!

Alonso is definitely a weird dude. Screaming throw it again after the homer in June worked out really well for him. He comes off too immature to be a good leader.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Why did Bryce Elder plunk Alonso? Did they throw inside or hit Acuna, Jr.?
It seemed unintentional to me. There was a man on and only 1 out at the time iirc. It wouldn't have made sense to hit him on purpose.

That said, I'm sure it felt good for Elder since it worked out with no runs scored. :)

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow

Sorry I missed this thread until now. I agree that Alonso doesn't appear to be a guy to build a team around. It has always been strange to me that the Mets haven't tried (to my knowledge) to lock him up long-term, but it may be that they have no intentions to. But, if that is the case, why haven't they looked to move him? It doesn't add up.

Tell me a little more about your concerns about Ohtani (assuming he was still healthy). How does he effect the preparation of his own team? Not saying you are wrong, I'm just not understanding what you are saying.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sorry I missed this thread until now. I agree that Alonso doesn't appear to be a guy to build a team around. It has always been strange to me that the Mets haven't tried (to my knowledge) to lock him up long-term, but it may be that they have no intentions to. But, if that is the case, why haven't they looked to move him? It doesn't add up.

Tell me a little more about your concerns about Ohtani (assuming he was still healthy). How does he effect the preparation of his own team? Not saying you are wrong, I'm just not understanding what you are saying.

A rumor came out yesterday or the day before that the Mets allegedly almost traded Alonso to MIL this trade deadline. So you may be onto something.

On Ohtani .... and I'm admittedly not super knowledgeable on baseball, so just sharing my opinion ...

First, and its easy to say now, injury and fatigue are automatic concerns.

Second, for him to pitch, they have to have a 6-man rotation and there will often be uncertainty with when he can actually make his scheduled start. So they're always juggling and the other starters have to deal with it.

I was listening to mlbradio around the trade deadline and they discussed the pitching rotation concerns, so I'm kinda cheating there. They actually went further and said LAA would rather have Ohtani than to actually build a winner (which is why they didnt trade him). Basically because he's a cash cow. So they don't care about the impact his presence has on the rest of the team. They suggested, despite the marketing cash that comes with him, many top organizations quietly would rather not deal with it all.

Funny thing is they said the Mets would probably welcome it. :)

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
A rumor came out yesterday or the day before that the Mets allegedly almost traded Alonso to MIL this trade deadline. So you may be onto something.

On Ohtani .... and I'm admittedly not super knowledgeable on baseball, so just sharing my opinion ...

First, and its easy to say now, injury and fatigue are automatic concerns.

Second, for him to pitch, they have to have a 6-man rotation and there will often be uncertainty with when he can actually make his scheduled start. So they're always juggling and the other starters have to deal with it.

I was listening to mlbradio around the trade deadline and they discussed the pitching rotation concerns, so I'm kinda cheating there. They actually went further and said LAA would rather have Ohtani than to actually build a winner (which is why they didnt trade him). Basically because he's a cash cow. So they don't care about the impact his presence has on the rest of the team. They suggested, despite the marketing cash that comes with him, many top organizations quietly would rather not deal with it all.

Funny thing is they said the Mets would probably welcome it. :)
I think we are seeing the reason why MLB teams want a player to either pitch or field. It's really taxing on the body to pitch every 5th or 6th day and either field or DH on the days between. You basically give yourself no time to rest up like a normal pitcher does. Now this isn't a knock against Ohtani's talent, the dude has more baseball skill in one pinky finger than I could ever dream of having, but he would do well to focus on one or the other. However, by doing that, he decreases his net worth and ability to command a $500M+ deal in free agency. I think you are right that by him insisting on being a two-way player, he puts the organization into a bit of a bind in terms of roster construction. You would be forced to carry an extra pitcher which eliminates a potential bench option for depth reasons. All in all its an interesting storyline to watch unfold. I think he will stay on the West Coast with the Dodgers, but they have a certain way of doing things and may ask some things of Ohtani that he might not be willing to do.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What happened in the Braves v Rockies game tonight was just plain embarrassing.

3 fans come onto the field and converged on Acuna. One was able to make contact with him for several seconds before security woke up and got there. Seemed like he wanted a selfie, maybe?

The second fan came in after security was already there and he did not seem to have good intentions. He was completely out of control and had to be restrained multiple times to get him off the field.

And there was a THIRD fan on the field who thankfully got stopped before fitting there.

It ended innocently but that's by pure chance. Do we not remember Monica Seles!? There's too many crazy people out here to allow something like that. Especially considering Acuna canbe ltetty polarizing. And I'm sure the Rockies fans weren't too pleased to have him serenaded with mvp chants in Colorado.

Ridiculous.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Starting to smell like Acuna could get burned by his consistent excellence in the mvp voting.

Folks trending to Betts due to his recent surge. He's having an excellent year but the frontrunner shouldn't very punished because he hasn't had any valleys. #AllPeaksBaybee

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That should read "shouldn't be punished", btw. Did I have a stroke mid-sentence?
Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m loving this series right now. I understand Betts gaining steam in the MVP race, but the whole body of work screams it has to be Acuna. Just keep winning and overshadow Betts’ numbers!

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m loving this series right now. I understand Betts gaining steam in the MVP race, but the whole body of work screams it has to be Acuna. Just keep winning and overshadow Betts’ numbers!
I posted this on another board earlier in the week. I have updated the numbers to reflect where they stand this morning, but the text is what I wrote on Monday:

While we're talking the Dodgers (can we just fast-forward to Thursday?!?!) where do we think the MVP race stands right now? Unless someone disagrees, I'm going to assume the top 4 would be Acuna, Olson, Betts, Freeman in some order. Key resume points (bold = league leader):

Acuna - 337/419/574, 6.7 fWAR, 62 SB/64 XBH -->113 times putting self in scoring position, 120 scored/83 RBI = 173 runs produced, 181 hits, 258 times on base, 308 total bases,
Olson - 268/376/584, 43 HR/112 RBI/103 scored = 172 runs produced, 4.6 fWAR, 70 XBH, 294 total bases, 86 BB
Betts - 317/411/622 = 1033 OPS, 7.8 fWAR, 116 scored/98 RBI = 176 runs produced, 310 total bases, 36 2B/38 HR = 75 XBH, 241 times on base, versatile in the field
Freeman - 338/414/584, 6.9 fWAR, 111 scored/89 RBI = 175 runs produced, 179 hits, 78 XBH (51 2B), 309 total bases, 251 times on base

25 to 30 years ago Olson would be the player to beat, but with today's voters I'm thinking that Betts is the front-runner. Acuna needs to really shine this weekend to regain the lead that he has held most of the season. Interested to hear other thoughts.