2023 ACC News & Discussion

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
The injured UVA kid regained movement in his extremities at the hospital last night, thank God!
Absolutely insane that the play was reviewed for targeting. Seemed like a textbook definition in real time and in the one replay they showed after the fact. The studio announcer looked like a complete fool when they cut to him and he said, "Alright lets take a look at that play one more time" to which a producer swiftly gave him a reality check in his earpiece. Glad the kid is okay though. I read through some of UVA's message board after the hit and some were saying he was already breathing on his own and then the official update stating he had movement in his extremities. That's one football program that has dealt with enough loss for a long, long time. Kudos to the kids for gutting it out until the end.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Absolutely insane that the play was wasn't reviewed for targeting. Seemed like a textbook definition in real time and in the one replay they showed after the fact. The studio announcer looked like a complete fool when they cut to him and he said, "Alright lets take a look at that play one more time" to which a producer swiftly gave him a reality check in his earpiece. Glad the kid is okay though. I read through some of UVA's message board after the hit and some were saying he was already breathing on his own and then the official update stating he had movement in his extremities. That's one football program that has dealt with enough loss for a long, long time. Kudos to the kids for gutting it out until the end.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
are we eliminated from ACCCG contention now? Or is there still a crazy scenario where we can get in with a 3+ way tie?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
are we eliminated from ACCCG contention now? Or is there still a crazy scenario where we can get in with a 3+ way tie?
No, not yet. If we win out and Louisville loses another, and UNC wins out (I think?), we would be in. Something like that, it's a complicated mess that goes through several of the tie breakers.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think you can review for targeting if you didn't throw the flag to begin with. Also, the refs were leaning pretty heavily in favor of UL especially towards the end of the game.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you can review for targeting if you didn't throw the flag to begin with. Also, the refs were leaning pretty heavily in favor of UL especially towards the end of the game.
Yes, they can review it without a penalty being called. It is up to the booth. They can then add the penalty after the review if it is confirmed.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
apparently not. This article does a really good job explaining how the tiebreakers would work: https://www.cardchronicle.com/2023/10/30/23938666/titillating-tantalizing-tiebreakers

I was confused on this too, but in a 3+ way tie, head to head only matters if 1 team has beaten all the others. After that it goes to record against shared opponents.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The booth can absolutely initiate a review for targeting regardless of what the refs on the field did.

The play resulted in helmet to helmet contact, but I don’t think it was the defenders fault. The RB dropped his head when contact was coming and he also got hit from behind just before contact. The result was his head rapidly dropping into the path of the defender’s helmet. The defender was head up and probably would’ve initiated contact to the chest area, but when the RB dropped his head, the result was forehead to forehead.

Extremely unfortunate to be certain but I’m not sure it was a penalty.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
apparently not. This article does a really good job explaining how the tiebreakers would work: https://www.cardchronicle.com/2023/10/30/23938666/titillating-tantalizing-tiebreakers

I was confused on this too, but in a 3+ way tie, head to head only matters if 1 team has beaten all the others. After that it goes to record against shared opponents.
Right now we need to be hoping that Miami beats Louisville, UNC wins out, we beat Clempson and Syracuse, and VT loses to either BC, NC State, or UVA. If that happens, we go to Charlotte. We really could have made this so much easier by just beating Louisville in Week 1.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Right now we need to be hoping that Miami beats Louisville, UNC wins out, we beat Clempson and Syracuse, and VT loses to either BC, NC State, or UVA. If that happens, we go to Charlotte. We really could have made this so much easier by just beating Louisville in Week 1.
Yeah let’s just go ahead and knock three teams out of the playoffs for good…
Edge Lville out for Charlotte and eliminate them.
Beat UGA (may need some help to truly eliminate them)
Beat FSU in Charlotte to eliminate them.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

GT still fighting for a spot in ACC championship.

Scenario C

Louisville beats Virginia Tech, but loses to Virginia or Miami (screen shows Miami). UNC wins out, Georgia Tech wins out, all three finish at 6-2

Tiebreaker scenario comes into play for UNC, Georgia Tech, and Louisville.

1. Combined head-to-head win-percentage among the tied teams if all tied teams are common opponents: N/A

2. If all the tied teams are not common opponents, the tied team that defeated each of the other tied teams: None of the three defeated both of the other teams. Georgia Tech (1-1), UNC (0-1), Louisville (1-0)

3. Win-percentage versus all common opponents: Common Opponents among all three include Virginia and Miami. In this scenario Georgia Tech finished 2-0, UNC 1-1, Louisville 1-1.

Result: Georgia Tech wins tiebreaker and goes to ACC Championship at 6-2

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Louisville is at Miami next week. Obviously none of this is in play unless we beat Clemson and Syracuse. Miami certainly has the talent to beat anyone but we will see. I think the more unlikely scenario is UNC surviving Duke at home and Clemson and NC State on the road. to go 6-2.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
It's possible that article missed considering BC. If they win out, they would end with 2 losses in conference as well. I am not sure how they factor in to things, so i am just going to be hoping they drop their game to Miami.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Louisville is at Miami next week. Obviously none of this is in play unless we beat Clemson and Syracuse. Miami certainly has the talent to beat anyone but we will see. I think the more unlikely scenario is UNC surviving Duke at home and Clemson and NC State on the road. to go 6-2.
Yea, I think UNC winning out is more unlikely than Tech winning the next two.