2023 ACC News & Discussion

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Disagree. The fans will come when GT decides it wants fans to come. You can’t pee on us and tell us it’s raining. You want fans GT? Then let our staff bring in players who will win games without worry of their SAT score or high school GPA. You want more fans GT? Then bring in a student body that is from within a 3 hour drive of GT who will actually create a pipeline of GT families who actually watch sports. GT is reaping what they have sowed.

You are yelling at people who do not exist. We have a small fanbase and 4 seasons where even the 30,000 diehards have found better things to do on Saturdays. If you want the few GT fans who are still young enough and close enough to campus to attend games then give us a product worth coming to see.

Cabrera, JBatt, and the coaches all understand this. None of this decline in GT sports is the fault of the fanbase. It’s all at the feet of GT administrators who completely botched every major decision for years.
Bingo!

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, appeared to me that from somewhere around the time Dodd retired being a CFB team located in a major metro area was a liability, lots of competition for those dollars. Now it's looking like it may be changing back in our favor again but more because it is media driven than butts in the seats. Yes it is already changing but IMO the major part of the change has yet to take place, but I can see it from where we are now, certainly not exactly as to where everybody ends up, but I can easily see 3 major conferences are more than likely to come out of this re-alignment period. I'm guessing the BIG comes out of this with the most schools and the SEC and Big12 to be near each other in number of schools, but we'll see, I could be wrong.
Yeah, when you and I were in school Tech was the only game in town. No Falcons, Hawks, Braves to compete for sports $.

slugboy

Staff member
NY Times = paywall/subscription. Would appreciate a summary. Thanks.
It’s a beautiful piece of writing that doesn’t happen often in newspapers any more.

A fan on a good day discussing the irrationality of being a fan, remembering the bad years, but enjoying the experience of his team winning the Super Bowl.

It’s a good piece of writing because my summary doesn’t do the article justice.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Also Louisville at 2nd in the ACC over Clemson doesn't seem right. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone has this kind of TV ratings data from another source, as a cros

Also Louisville at 2nd in the ACC over Clemson doesn't seem right. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone has this kind of TV ratings data from another source, as a cross-check.

You may want to try "Medium.com. Running it Back with Zach--Which College programs were the most watched". There are three articles covering 2015 thru 2019, 2021, and 2022.
He shows the AVERAGE views per game per team for the regular 12 game season. He covers all power 5 teams plus 20 to 30 more according to the year. I was not able to attach articles for some reason.
Also, I did a quick summation of the TV views by each power five conference. See below in Millions. This is the total views by conference for each football weekend based on Zach Miller's analysis.

2015-2019 2021 2022
SEC (14) 27.25 M 25.80M 30,05M
B1G (14) 24.28 30.52 28.09
Big 12(10) 13.32 13.51 14.31
PAC 12(!2) 11.98 10.09 12.59
ACC(14) 14.23 9.25 11.24

You can see the conference team ranking within the articles on Medium.

Last edited:

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
You may want to try "Medium.com. Running it Back with Zach--Which College programs were the most watched". There are three articles covering 2015 thru 2019, 2021, and 2022.
He shows the AVERAGE views per game per team for the regular 12 game season. He covers all power 5 teams plus 20 to 30 more according to the year. I was not able to attach articles for some reason.
Also, I did a quick summation of the TV views by each power five conference. See below in Millions. This is the total views by conference for each football weekend based on Zach Miller's analysis.

2015-2019 2021 2022
ACC(14) 14.23 9.25 11.24

You can see the conference team ranking within the articles on

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry for the Scramble of my small spreadsheet. Tried to edit but failed. Maybe you can make sense of the numbers.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

2015-2019 2021 2022
ACC(14) 14.23 9.25 11.24

You can see the conference team ranking within the articles on Medium.
That makes it look like Power 2, Middle 3, then Group of 5 conference breakdown.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
That makes it look like Power 2, Middle 3, then Group of 5 conference breakdown.

Regretfully for GT, it does. Obviously, the difference between the B1G and SEC and the next 3 will only increase when expansion
takes place in 2024. The ACC commissioner has a poor hand to play in any negotiations with ESPN. He can't ask for much more money with the ACC
numbers. Only way for the ACC and Tech to overcome this situation is to have much better recruiting, coaching, facilities, etc. More money! In recruiting
no other conference can compete with the SEC at the moment. Bobby Dood states in his biography that you can out coach a more talented team some of the
time, but not all the time. In recent years, the SEC has recruited more 4 and 5 star players per conference than any 2 combined of the ACC-Big12-PAC 12.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Regretfully for GT, it does. Obviously, the difference between the B1G and SEC and the next 3 will only increase when expansion
takes place in 2024. The ACC commissioner has a poor hand to play in any negotiations with ESPN. He can't ask for much more money with the ACC
numbers. Only way for the ACC and Tech to overcome this situation is to have much better recruiting, coaching, facilities, etc. More money! In recruiting
no other conference can compete with the SEC at the moment. Bobby Dood states in his biography that you can out coach a more talented team some of the
time, but not all the time. In recent years, the SEC has recruited more 4 and 5 star players per conference than any 2 combined of the ACC-Big12-PAC 12.
Is it good for ESPN for the Big10 to expand at the expense of the ACC? That doesn’t mean it can’t happen, but it’s foolish to think ESPN isn’t going to be proactive protecting their content. Why people think ESPN will sit idly by and allow their content to be poached by Fox/CBS is beyond me.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Is it good for ESPN for the Big10 to expand at the expense of the ACC? That doesn’t mean it can’t happen, but it’s foolish to think ESPN isn’t going to be proactive protecting their content. Why people think ESPN will sit idly by and allow their content to be poached by Fox/CBS is beyond me.

I certainly understand your point and you are likely correct. I hope you are. I do question what ESPN believes is in their best interest. Over the past several
months, ESPN has allowed a steady drumbeat of ACC criticism plus the likely creation of two mega conferences of approximately 24 teams each. One host on an
ESPN platform actually discussed how the ESPN management should step in and help coordinate the move of Clemson and FSU to the SEC. Quotes like "the ACC is a
diminished league" and general degradation of the ACC have been pretty commonplace on the network. Why would you not try to be as supportive as possible?
You would think ESPN would do all they can to protect the ACC's perception in order to keep viewership as high as possible (Within the bounds of truth).

I also question why ESPN can make a lighting fast deal with the Big 12 after losing their two best programs while any discussion with the ACC concerning a "Look In"
on the ACC contract lingers.

Perhaps something is happening behind the scenes that we are not aware of.

My major point in my original comments was that Jim Phillips may find the going tough in negotiations due to Supply and Demand. The ACC footprint covers a
large percentage of the American population, but TV views are half or less that of the Big 10 and the SEC.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Soon the ACC will cease to be a conference like we are now. GT needs to be selling our soul to the highest bidder. What's left over will likely not be worth being a part of unless you're into nostalgia. Let's hope we're not left on the outside looking in.

My guess is we're Big10, the only reason we're attractive at all is our name & the Atlanta market.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Soon the ACC will cease to be a conference like we are now. GT needs to be selling our soul to the highest bidder. What's left over will likely not be worth being a part of unless you're into nostalgia. Let's hope we're not left on the outside looking in.

My guess is we're Big10, the only reason we're attractive at all is our name & the Atlanta market.

Agree, plus Our AAU membership will help with the Big 10. I guess there may be a very slight chance for an SEC invite in defense of bringing the Big 10 into the South.

I believe this was mentioned earlier from one of our associates.

I doubt that happening due to the SEC grudge against us from our terrible decision of 1964.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree, plus Our AAU membership will help with the Big 10. I guess there may be a very slight chance for an SEC invite in defense of bringing the Big 10 into the South.

I believe this was mentioned earlier from one of our associates.

I doubt that happening due to the SEC grudge against us from our terrible decision of 1964.
Come on. No one cares about 1964 except a bunch of old dudes who are long gone from any position of power. It’s all about money. If the SEC current leaders believe accepting GT will make them money then we will get an invite. If not we won’t. Same with BIG. But it definitely won’t be because of something from 60 years ago.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I just saw a very brief mention that the Big 10 has made a decision to move on and not pursue any more Pac 12 schools. And also we're seeing at the same time mention of something possibly going on where FSU, Clemson SEC; UVA, UNC, GT, Miami Big 10; Pitt, VT, NC St., Louisville Big 12, and Wake, Duke, Syracuse, BC will not be left out. I don't know this but it sounds like maybe all the ACC schools could be working something out behind the scenes, I would really hope something like this could actually happen because it probably would be less painful for the greater number of schools in the ACC. Seems the Pac 12 is just floundering around and maybe the Big 12 is also giving up on Pac 12 schools. Just speculation on my part and easily could be absolutely nothing to any of it.
It seems to me because of the time zone for most of their schools the Pac 12 is the least desirable TV mkt of all the schools across the USA. It seems that the Pac 12 may be pursuing what they call "linear" which I don't fully understand but somehow is tied into streaming and subscriptions from each schools fan base, but I could have that wrong, what I saw was not very clear to me as to what it exactly was.