2023 ACC News & Discussion

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Anyone think TV is not driving the Big 10 expansion bus? That hire is thinking big IMO. I too think this definitely puts GT on the BIGs radar, but I have thought we were already there and is why the GT admin has made their commitment to bigtime CFB for GT. CBK and his staff have tremendous opportunity ahead of them.
Speculating out 10- 15 years I see the SEC having problems. I could see TX, FL, Kansas becoming BIG members as a possibility. Lawrence is 40 miles from KC. KC is a good sports market. Would others fit also. Don't know but possibly. Maybe A&M.
If I'm right it puts an interesting light on the Big 12 going fwd also probably a coast to coast conference in the future.
Did I see the new BIG tv contract was with 3 of the major networks, seems like it was NBC, CBS and Fox sports? If so that is really bigtime IMO. I also think those MSM networks will be making major adjustments in their programing in the future with what is coming down on them over the next few years and will need college sports to help them. There is talk about the BIG going to 10 conference games/yr which puts a lot of pressure on ND to join BIG IMO. ND could start having scheduling problems with "prime", rivalry competition. Eventually could see schedules going to 13 games per yr.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I’d be worried about long term tv deals with non-ESPN networks because linear TV channels are only going downhill from here, and Disney is way in the lead in terms of building out compelling subscription packages.

Big question in my mind about if geographic footprint matters at all then vs just per-subscriber numbers, which might be bad news for GT/B1G dreams.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
FWIW (which is probably nothing):

"According to Greg Swaim of the Swaim Show, the Big Ten is expected to extend invites to North Carolina. Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Miami. Meanwhile, the Big 12 is expected to invite NC State, Virginia Tech, Louisville, and Pitt.

The SEC would get Florida State and Clemson."

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW (which is probably nothing):

"According to Greg Swaim of the Swaim Show, the Big Ten is expected to extend invites to North Carolina. Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Miami. Meanwhile, the Big 12 is expected to invite NC State, Virginia Tech, Louisville, and Pitt.

The SEC would get Florida State and Clemson."
Interesting.

What's even more interesting to me is that Duke and Wake aren't mentioned at all in his assessment.

Probably nothing, but still gives us something to do in the offseason to think through possibilities.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The conference destination of the ten mentioned has always made the most sense to me as to how it could possibly work out, after weighing all the known factors and input. I've always wondered what happens to Duke, Wake, Syra, BC. I've thought Duke could end up in a BB only conference, but the others don't appear to have a place to go, maybe downgrade to something like group of 5 or whatever they call it.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting.

What's even more interesting to me is that Duke and Wake aren't mentioned at all in his assessment.

Probably nothing, but still gives us something to do in the offseason to think through possibilities.

It will be interesting to see how quickly the new B1G commish decides to expand......

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting.

Duke is an interesting case. There was always an understanding that UNC wouldn't leave the ACC due to UNC, NC State, and Duke protecting each other. Much the same way UVA and VT are tied to each other politically. UNC has had a standing offer from the SEC for decades, and that was admitted to by UNC's former AD. UNC seems to be fine as the SEC is there waiting, but culturally and academically they fit the B1G better. However B1G does not value Duke or NC State at all.

This next conference expansion phase will mean being part of the Haves and Have Nots. When it was only $5-10 million a year payout per team difference between conferences like it was in the 90's and early 2000's, leaving conferences and igniting a political backlash wasn't worth it. However, the SEC and B1G will soon be taking in $100 million+ PER TEAM annually. That's a significant number and difference between the B1G and ACC payouts. Do you want your sports programs to play in the "big pond" or do you want to play in the "small pond"?

There are rumors that the next expansion will also decide the fate of the NCAA. B1G wants to be a "professional" sports organization that rivals pro sports...and the SEC will quickly follow. If you look at all the moves the B1G has made (expanding to the West Coast), rumored moves (getting into Southern markets), and new commissioner hiring (a veteran and mastermind of pro sports media) and all the ducks are falling into place for that to happen. B1G is patiently waiting for their ACC targets to figure out the Grant of Rights with the ACC.

When it comes to GT, I think we are in a good place...for now. IF we (and other ACC targets) can't figure out the GOR exit soon, GT's position with the B1G may look different in 2036 due to rapidly changing market sizes in the South. At that point, Atlanta (and GT) may not be the gem of the South. Also, there's rumblings that GT's fanbase will be our downfall. GT hits the some big marks with our market location, and elite academics, but our fanbase and attendance is near the bottom of P5.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Please let it be true. ACC is dead man walking. We need to get the hell outta here

If we don't get in the B1G, we have no one but ourselves to blame. We were invited a decade ago, and shortsightedly turned down the B1G because our decision makers couldn't look past their noses. Since then, GT has lost HUNDREDS of millions, and will be out over a BILLION in revenue from the time we turned down the B1G to the time the ACC GOR is expired. Think about that...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
When it comes to GT, I think we are in a good place...for now. IF we (and other ACC targets) can't figure out the GOR exit soon, GT's position with the B1G may look different in 2036 due to rapidly changing market sizes in the South. At that point, Atlanta (and GT) may not be the gem of the South. Also, there's rumblings that GT's fanbase will be our downfall. GT hits the some big marks with our market location, and elite academics, but our fanbase and attendance is near the bottom of P5.
Tech has a short window of opportunity to improve its position. The next five to seven years are crucial, if we have that long. Our whole future is riding on the broad shoulders of Brent Key.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tech has a short window of opportunity to improve its position. The next five to seven years are crucial, if we have that long. Our whole future is riding on the broad shoulders of Brent Key.

...and our fanbase. Our fans REALLY need to do a better job of attending football and basketball games and showing support to our programs. That will be a factor for us.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
And the basketball program under HCDS.
I stated in another post that the next 5 years are a dress rehearsal and the following 5 are our audition. We got to build up the foundation and then build build build.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
If the Big 10 wants to invite us to join their conference, they are going to care about having a presence in Atlanta, and not care about our performance. Otherwise, Rutgers would never have received an invite when they did.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
You're not wrong about this.

Numbers (look at that last column) look bleak here: https://www.d1ticker.com/2022-fbs-attendance-trends/

Team really needs to win NOW to change this trend.
A lot of us posted about the severe predicament we were being placed in by extending the experiment. We lost an average of 10k+ fans per game since 2018.

First sign of trouble was when attendence sagged despite a new coaching staff. That just is not supposed to happen and should have resulted in alarm bells going off in GTAA.

Batt and Key have their hands full trying to win then back. It’s not easy to reclaim pissed off customers even if they have allegiance to a product like many have to their alma mater. It’s likely 4-5 years of fanbase rebuilding just to get back to 2018 levels even if everything goes amazingly well.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I doubt expansion will happen like that. I doubt the state legislatures will allow VT and UVA to split. The same with the Carolina mafia.