2023 ACC News & Discussion

Techster

Helluva Engineer
While that maybe true, we don't need to be the only reason E$PN is making money when we don't see any benefit.

Unfortunately, the "leaders" in the ACC forfeited any leverage we have when they signed the GOR. ESPN is going to work the ACC like a rented mule until our media contract and GOR finally ends.

If you want to be mad at anyone, be mad at GT for not accepting the B1G invite in 2012, and ACC leadership for signing a short sighted long term agreement.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, the "leaders" in the ACC forfeited any leverage we have when they signed the GOR. ESPN is going to work the ACC like a rented mule until our media contract and GOR finally ends.

If you want to be mad at anyone, be mad at GT for not accepting the B1G invite in 2012, and ACC leadership for signing a short sighted long term agreement.
Trust me I am. I hope the BIG has a fleeting memory and asks us again.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
This is funny to me. I was stranded in coastal SC over the Christmas holidays this year (thanks to the Southwest issues), and needing to be back before New Year's, my family rented a car and drove across country to Denver. As we passed through Atlanta, I convinced my wife to let us stop at the Varsity for dinner (gotta take the opportunity to get those onion rings and a frosted orange when you can!).

We sat next to a table with about 8 people wearing Ohio State gear - turned out it was the training staff and some other support staff. They had just come from practice. Funny that Maisel pointed that out - apparently the team is already aware of the pleasures of a chili dog at The Varsity.

I told them good luck on the way out. Pointed to my GT hat and said "We're all pulling for you around here over the next few days."
I worked in Columbus OH about 16 years ago, this is their idea of the Varsity.

When I lived in Smyrna, there were as many Buckeyes in the neighborhood as Yellow Jackets.

Down here in Florida. they are everywhere.

So yes, B1G wants to be in the South.

1677889967113.png

CEB

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, we see benefit. We get the bulk of our money from that TV deal. The issue is that other teams in the top two conferences are now about to make double what we do, and that will hurt our ability to be competitive with said teams.
There’s also an angle that ESPN should protect their investment. So if the ACC is the most profitable for ESPN, it’s because they get a lot of programming people watch for cheap. If people quit watching because the product deteriorates, ESPN sees revenue decline. It may be prudent for them to keep the ACC on “near” level footing with the BIG /SEC so there is quality programming available.
Our payouts arent fixed or capped. I don’t know the details but there are increases and incentives built into the deal (which is why payouts are increasing). No renegotiation is necessary, no need to blow up GOR, the money will increase. Everyone who is comparing 5-8 year projections for the BIG / SEC to the ACC numbers from LAST YEAR is either very short sighted or pushing an agenda. I don’t expect the ACC teams to make $50m next year, but they might make $40m. And it likely increases the following year and the year after that. We won’t catch the SEC / BIG, but we also don’t need to be losing our minds over 5 year projections. Yet.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I
Does that add any validity to it?
I think the point is that it is neither informed or informative. It’s simply a product of everyone having a computer and an opinion.
If there is even a shred of validity or objectivity to it, then we’ve been going about everything entirely wrong. I have a hard time believing that’s the case.
It depends on what criteria is used and how each is weighted. The results can be tweaked based on what criteria is weighed the most.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
ESPN absolutely WORKED the ACC in media negotiations, and it's falling into place for the ESPN to continue cornering major markets on both coasts. ESPN is the pro leagues with business, and the ACC leaders are amateurs.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
ESPN absolutely WORKED the ACC in media negotiations, and it's falling into place for the ESPN to continue cornering major markets on both coasts. ESPN is the pro leagues with business, and the ACC leaders are amateurs.

Doesnt he know the acc presidents signed a no e it deal between the teams in ACC.

The TV guy is talking to us bottom feeders.

He says they are going to take some of the top acc teams out of the conference.

U scrubs better go get some other scrubs w good (pac12) tv markets to join the reduced acc. If u due we can pay u. If u dont, you are going to be getting really small TV money.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Doesnt he know the acc presidents signed a no e it deal between the teams in ACC.

The TV guy is talking to us bottom feeders.

He says they are going to take some of the top acc teams out of the conference.

U scrubs better go get some other scrubs w good (pac12) tv markets to join the reduced acc. If u due we can pay u. If u dont, you are going to be getting really small TV money.

If you want to know why Atlanta is worth a LOT of money to a conference, listen to John Skipper discuss the revenue a school brings in because of location. Atlanta is the #7 overall market in the US, and the #6 market in terms of sports markets. That is the biggest market in the Southeast and biggest in the ACC. Florida has the next three biggest markets in the Southeast (Tampa-St Pete #13, Orlando-Daytona #17, Miami-Ft Lauderdale #18), then Charlotte at #22.

There's a case to be made that if FSU/Clemson/UNC want uneven revenue sharing, GT better be in the discussion for that same tier of revenue. There's a reason why B1G pushed hard for GT in 2012 (and I think it will again when the GOR gets figured out). The ACC knows Atlanta is valuable...that's why they talked GT into not leaving for the B!G (you could argue that GT was not very smart in either leveraging that to our benefit, or just outright leaving). There's also a reason why Stanford/Cal will be scooped up eventually...either by the ACC/B1G/Big 12. They are in the #6 overall market.

Look how astute the B1G has become in "professionalizing" their expansion. They currently have a member school in the top 4 markets (New York, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia), and 5 out of the top 10. If they add GT (Atlanta), that would make a B1G presence in 6 of the top 10 media markets. The SEC has a better athletic product, BUT the B1G revenue outpaces the SEC due to "professionalizing" their expansion.

Luckily, GT has a GIANT card to play in expansion. We didn't use it in 2012, hopefully we're not dumb the second time and leverage Atlanta to our benefit. Whether it's the B1G, or uneven revenue sharing in our favor in the ACC.

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
People are saying that the viewership data that the FSU AD posted is heavily skewed, that being said screw them UNC turds

Techster

Helluva Engineer
People are saying that the viewership data that the FSU AD posted is heavily skewed, that being said screw them UNC turds

The "does not include ACC network" kinda waters down that chart. However here's another chart floating around the interworlds:

Read the bottom for all the caveats. I believe that's football only because Duke basketball would draw a bigger crowd. However, if you look at both charts, you can make the argument that the ACC exists to serve the schools in North Carolina, and not the whole conference. I'll go one step further, GT decision makers REALLY REALLY don't understand the leverage we have being in Atlanta. When the B1G came knocking, GT should have told the ACC: If you want us to stay, you're paying us a LOT of money to stay, and our GOR stays with us or we get a 5 year "market look" window. Otherwise, watch your subscription $$$ drop when we take Atlanta subscribers to the B1G.

Last edited:

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
The "does not include ACC network" kinda waters down that chart. However here's another chart floating around the interworlds:

Read the bottom for all the caveats. I believe that's football only because Duke basketball would draw a bigger crowd. However, if you look at both charts, you can make the argument that the ACC exists to serve the schools in North Carolina, and not the whole conference. I'll go one step further, GT decision makers REALLY REALLY don't understand the leverage we have being in Atlanta. When the B1G came knocking, GT should have told the ACC: If you want us to stay, you're paying us a LOT of money to stay, and our GOR stays with us or we get a 5 year "market look" window. Otherwise, watch your subscription $$$ drop when we take Atlanta subscribers to the B1G.
That chart makes unc look even worse! 🤣

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A former AD at UNC who became the ACC commissioner is the single most reason the ACC is in this mess.
The acc is in ncaa.
The prez of gt was the prez of the board of governors when they could have headed off the portal and nil. Under his his watch gt football went from relevancy to ridicule. Under him donations to gtaa went down while donations went up at other acc schools.
He did turn gt resesrch into a billion dollar a year contractor with """one""" customer - dept of defense.
Ticks me off

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
What I am seeing is a diversion tactic, that is common for large-scale businesses when you have either an intra-party looking to leave, or change the terms of a deal they have found to be unfair or an external party wanting to acquire assets at a lower price. Sow doubt and distress among the pieces of a large conglomerate so you can spin off the most profitable ones.

Surely you smart GT people can see that...

FSU, UNC, and Clemson are gone, and the ACC should merge with the Pac 12 to create the P3 conference. Because those leftovers will have more media power than the current B12.

Personally, I think the B1G is going to be the most profitable conference when everything is said and done and there really isn't anything the SEC can do to stop them. The B1G will maximize its distribution through new states, opening up carriage rates, and the brand power will be a close 2nd as you need brands to carry eyeballs for prime time slots.

The SEC has to maximize brand power over new markets because their media value lies in the millions of people who want to watch Alabama and UGA play 3 times a year.

That is why I expect the FSU to work like hell and get their AAU status. Because I think the B1G is going to come east and south.

In the end, I think it will go something like this.

1) Oregon, Washington, UVA, UNC, FSU and maybe GT to the B1G, The Big 10 has almost every time zone and a presence in every major state except Texas. They have major brands of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, UCLA, FSU, UNC, Oregon, etc...

2) NC State, Va Tech, Miami, and Clemson to the SEC, they get two new states and big brands that will spend Gazillions on just football.

3) Some type of bastard Hybrid conference with the left overs from the ACC/PAC or even B12.

4) Notre Dame will still be independant.