2023 ACC News & Discussion

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if recruiting college kids somehow becomes like recruiting HS kids and their families to move, job offers etc. I would not say this except a few years back I would never have thought the paying of CFB players possible either.

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Our elite players are. There's an awful lot of midwestern 3*s in the NFL though...

HIGH SCHOOL CITIES WITH MOST NFL PLAYERS

HometownNFL PlayersHometownNFL Players
Houston, TX
19​
Cleveland, OH
12​
Miami, FL
19​
Plantation, FL
11​
Detroit, MI
16​
Austin, TX
10​
Tampa, FL
15​
Cincinnati, OH
10​
Bradenton, FL
14​
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
10​
Atlanta, GA
13​
Philadelphia, PA
10​
New Orleans, LA
13​
St. Louis, MO
10​
Neat-O, now do it by state......https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/what-state-produces-the-most-nfl-players

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if recruiting college kids somehow becomes like recruiting HS kids and THEIR FAMILIES to move, job offers etc. I would not say this except a few years back I would never have thought the paying of CFB players possible either.
That definitely happens in HS recruiting already, why not College?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If the ACC breaks

Ncstate
Clemson
FSU
Lousiville are going to the SEC

GT
UVA
UNC
Pitt
will go to the BIG

Pitt is the outlier here because they have rather low attendance but i think part of that is their regional interest.

Pitt vs Pennstate yearly, add in pitt older big east rivals. You'd get fans back there.

You'd likely see them adopt the ACC system too whcih would mean GT UVA and UNC would play yearly. Which honestly isn't that bad for us as far as maintaining some semblance of history.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If the ACC breaks

Ncstate
Clemson
FSU

GT
UVA
UNC
Pitt
will go to the BIG

Pitt is the outlier here because they have rather low attendance but i think part of that is their regional interest.

Pitt vs Pennstate yearly, add in pitt older big east rivals. You'd get fans back there.

You'd likely see them adopt the ACC system too whcih would mean GT UVA and UNC would play yearly. Which honestly isn't that bad for us as far as maintaining some semblance of history.
Miami?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If the ACC breaks

Ncstate
Clemson
FSU

GT
UVA
UNC
Pitt
will go to the BIG

I read, by law, UVA has to take VT wherever they go or UVA will not be going anywhere.

UNC & Duke are a package deal. SEC wants UNC, and the ex UNC AD said there's a standing offer there. SEC does not want Duke or NC State. BIG also wants UNC, and I've read they would be willing to take Duke due to basketball and elite academics.

Penn State does not want Pitt in the B1G, and B1G considers Pennsylvania "cornered" with PSU. They will not double up a state unless it's a blueblood (see UCLA and USC). Pitt is not a value add school in terms of media revenue.

FSU wants the B1G, and SEC also does not want to double up a state with UF already in their conference. FSU to B1G has been rumored for a while, and FSU has began the process of qualifying for AAU status years ago in anticipation of the B1G. B1G wants to expand into the Southeast since it's where the population base is growing the fastest, and B1G alumni are gravitating to this region. Also, I've read more than once the B1G wants to take on the SEC head on...B1G has modeled their expansion after professional leagues. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the end game for the B1G.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
This, friends, is how you get Clear Pepsi..
Great post, but you didn't have to go there...
Be Gentle Mental Health GIF by Unpopular Cartoonist

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
1. Texas — 199
2. Florida — 177
3. California — 159
4. Georgia — 144
5. Ohio — 74
6. Louisiana — 71
7. Alabama — 61
8. Pennsylvania — 57
9. North Carolina — 55
10. Illinois — 53
11. New Jersey — 48
12. Michigan — 47
13. Maryland — 45
14. Virginia — 41
15. South Carolina — 36
16. Tennessee — 35
17. Mississippi — 31
18. Missouri — 28
19. Indiana — 23
T20. Arizona — 22
T20. Minnesota — 22
T22. Utah — 21
T22. Wisconsin — 21
24. Washington — 20
25. Oregon — 19
26. Iowa — 17
27. Colorado — 16
28. Oklahoma — 15
29. New York — 14
30. Nevada — 12
31. Kentucky — 11
T32. Connecticut — 9
T32. Kansas — 9
T32. Massachusetts — 9
T35. Delaware — 8
T35. Hawaii — 8
T35. Nebraska — 8
38. Arkansas — 6
39. South Dakota — 5
T40. Idaho — 4
T40. North Dakota — 4
T40. Wyoming — 4
43. Montana — 3
44. Washington D.C. — 2
45. New Hampshire — 1
46. New Mexico — 1
47. Rhode Island — 1
48. West Virginia — 1

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
1. Texas — 199
2. Florida — 177
3. California — 159
4. Georgia — 144
5. Ohio — 74
6. Louisiana — 71
7. Alabama — 61
8. Pennsylvania — 57
9. North Carolina — 55
10. Illinois — 53
11. New Jersey — 48
12. Michigan — 47
13. Maryland — 45
14. Virginia — 41
15. South Carolina — 36
16. Tennessee — 35
17. Mississippi — 31
18. Missouri — 28
19. Indiana — 23
T20. Arizona — 22
T20. Minnesota — 22
T22. Utah — 21
T22. Wisconsin — 21
24. Washington — 20
25. Oregon — 19
26. Iowa — 17
27. Colorado — 16
28. Oklahoma — 15
29. New York — 14
30. Nevada — 12
31. Kentucky — 11
T32. Connecticut — 9
T32. Kansas — 9
T32. Massachusetts — 9
T35. Delaware — 8
T35. Hawaii — 8
T35. Nebraska — 8
38. Arkansas — 6
39. South Dakota — 5
T40. Idaho — 4
T40. North Dakota — 4
T40. Wyoming — 4
43. Montana — 3
44. Washington D.C. — 2
45. New Hampshire — 1
46. New Mexico — 1
47. Rhode Island — 1
48. West Virginia — 1
At 144, Georgia would have to be #1 in percentage of high school players who ended up in the NFL.
But there are only 89 in the NFL from Georgia colleges, universities, and institutes (well over half of them from Ugag) which means a lot of top h.s. players are leaving the state.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
reality has been only one school in the state consistently placed kids in the NFL UGA. Contrast that with Alabama 2, SC 2, FL 3 who are recruit GA. If GT and potentially the other 2 soon to be Division 1 football schools improve, more should remain in state

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Anyone really surprised by FSU's demands? This scenario was always inevitable...I actually said something like this was going to happen in the expansion thread. Graham Neff (a GT graduate), the Clemson AD, is also pushing for uneven revenue distribution. The factory schools that view themselves as "national level" want to make sure they get enough revenue to compete with their peers in the B1G and SEC.

There's been rumors for years that FSU was a B1G target. FSU probably has a standing offer from the B1G once the GOR gets settled (either through expiration or in court). I suspect a few other ACC schools also have standing offers (by the B1G or SEC) once the GOR is settled. Right now, Clemson is the flagship football program for the ACC, so if they band together with FSU/UNC there could be some lawyers scurrying to undue the GOR or even the ACC. There are definitely outside factors influencing this. Anyone really surprised that certain programs are making noise right now? They see the revenue distribution coming in the next 3-5 years, and the ACC is about to get left in the dust by the B1G and the SEC.

Which brings us back to GT's decision to turn down the B1G. That decision keeps looking worse and worse as the years (and months) goes by. Not only did our loyalty to the ACC do us no favors (where was the ACC when the Demaryius Thomas stuff was going down, how about scheduling that favored our opponents.), but now members are openly demanding to what amounts to taking money out of our share. So instead of the prospect of making $75-100 million a YEAR with the B1G, GT could very well end up at the bottom of the ACC distribution share. GT needs to learn something that it obviously hasn't learned with the mistake of leaving the SEC: Romanticizing the Student Athlete and college athletics does not pay...in fact, it's hurt us dearly.

Moving on to PAC12/ACC merger. How prescient was this in 2021:

IMO, adding teams like Oregon/Washington/Stanford/Cal/Utah to the ACC mix would be great. However, I think it would only be a temporary fix for both the ACC and the remaining PAC12 schools. As soon as the GOR for the ACC expires, all bets will be off...and the B1G and SEC will swoop in and take their picks again.
I’m really more than a little surprised that FSU, Clemson or someone with a reported “standing offer” to join the SEC or BIG haven’t filed a Declaratory Judgment action to test whatever theories they may have to vacate the GOR. In the scheme of things, it wouldn’t be that expensive or time-consuming and, if it failed, it would just confirm that the GOR is there to be reckoned with until it expires or until specific events occur.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Ivan Maisel: The poaching of Maryland and Rutgers allowed the Big Ten to establish a beachhead on the East Coast, but what if Jim Delany had succeeded in his sales pitch to Georgia Tech and convinced the Yellow Jackets to leave the ACC? The Big Ten would have set anchor in Atlanta, the national capital of college football. The league would be able to recruit more in the biggest treasure chest of talent in the country. And Ohio State fans would have learned the pleasures of a chili dog at The Varsity.

This is funny to me. I was stranded in coastal SC over the Christmas holidays this year (thanks to the Southwest issues), and needing to be back before New Year's, my family rented a car and drove across country to Denver. As we passed through Atlanta, I convinced my wife to let us stop at the Varsity for dinner (gotta take the opportunity to get those onion rings and a frosted orange when you can!).

We sat next to a table with about 8 people wearing Ohio State gear - turned out it was the training staff and some other support staff. They had just come from practice. Funny that Maisel pointed that out - apparently the team is already aware of the pleasures of a chili dog at The Varsity.

I told them good luck on the way out. Pointed to my GT hat and said "We're all pulling for you around here over the next few days."

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Not much. The B1G has plenty of exposure here. With cable and streaming TV packages, more recruits see them on TV than they see games in a stadium. The paradigm of having to play in an area to gain recruiting exposure is dated, IMO.

I still think it matters.

In addition to the benefits of being able to see teams play in person, the media exposure is real. Out here in Denver - even with Youtube TV - it's rare to see a Virginia or a Duke or NC game live. Heck, we even have issues seeing some of the GT games - thanks, Bally Sports. Even with ESPN3, you still have to go looking for it. Getting a local foothold in the market definitely helps with exposure, even with streaming being what it is.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is funny to me. I was stranded in coastal SC over the Christmas holidays this year (thanks to the Southwest issues), and needing to be back before New Year's, my family rented a car and drove across country to Denver. As we passed through Atlanta, I convinced my wife to let us stop at the Varsity for dinner (gotta take the opportunity to get those onion rings and a frosted orange when you can!).

We sat next to a table with about 8 people wearing Ohio State gear - turned out it was the training staff and some other support staff. They had just come from practice. Funny that Maisel pointed that out - apparently the team is already aware of the pleasures of a chili dog at The Varsity.

I told them good luck on the way out. Pointed to my GT hat and said "We're all pulling for you around here over the next few days."
Great salesmen for Gt will have special place in heaven
We have way to many look down nose grads.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

ate at the Varsity last wknd and saw a large group of Auburn folks, turned out they were a rugby team on the way to play uga, we wished them good luck!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
My wife an I always make a V run when in Atlanta. A tradition like no other --- oops that's already been used. My bad.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I read, by law, UVA has to take VT wherever they go or UVA will not be going anywhere.

UNC & Duke are a package deal. SEC wants UNC, and the ex UNC AD said there's a standing offer there. SEC does not want Duke or NC State. BIG also wants UNC, and I've read they would be willing to take Duke due to basketball and elite academics.

Penn State does not want Pitt in the B1G, and B1G considers Pennsylvania "cornered" with PSU. They will not double up a state unless it's a blueblood (see UCLA and USC). Pitt is not a value add school in terms of media revenue.

FSU wants the B1G, and SEC also does not want to double up a state with UF already in their conference. FSU to B1G has been rumored for a while, and FSU has began the process of qualifying for AAU status years ago in anticipation of the B1G. B1G wants to expand into the Southeast since it's where the population base is growing the fastest, and B1G alumni are gravitating to this region. Also, I've read more than once the B1G wants to take on the SEC head on...B1G has modeled their expansion after professional leagues. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the end game for the B1G.
Not in the next few years, but out in the future years somewhere it would not shock me to see UF, UT Austin, TXA&M, U. Kansas ending up in the BIG All AAU schools representing good to great media mkts.