2023 ACC News & Discussion

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
This is my take, there are two primary requirements that the BIG requires: 1. AAU member (ND the only exception according to them) and good to great media mkts. FSU does not and will probably not have either one of those in the foreseeable future. GT has both and Miami has one and will probably have the other in the not too distant future. I can see Miami, GT, UNC and probably UVA becoming BIG members. Maybe Pitt also, not sure there. I'm in agreement with you about the recruiting, not sure it alone would make Big come to Atlanta and Miami or any other city.
I laugh when I see people talking about antiquated requirements like academics, location, recruiting, research, etc being important to the Big10 or SEC for conference affiliation. Those might have been important years ago, but don’t kid yourself, the overwhelming requirement for either of these conferences is revenue generation from football and to a lesser extent basketball. The big dollars they get from ESPN, Fox, etc is for their media content, plain and simple. You can bet your bottom dollar if West Virginia delivered the type of name recognition as Notre Dame, both the SEC and Big10 would be courting them to join. Conversely, if you can't add significant revenue to their model, they don't want you.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember reading somewhere that the BIG10 network gets more $ / subscriber in markets where they have a program. Given the number of BIG10 alumni in Georgia, I'm wondering if there's enough to materially move the needle to make GT more attractive or if it's a drop in the bucket comparatively.

Does anybody know the numbers off hand?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

"My favorite plan of action I’ve seen is for FSU, Clemson and others to leave the ACC and play road games until the grant of rights falls apart. No home games, no media rights to forfeit. A higher plane of intelligence, that idea."

I've seen this before but let me see if I understand. For road games, there aren't any media rights? I don't get that. You're still one of the two teams playing, so why wouldn't there be any media rights?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
"My favorite plan of action I’ve seen is for FSU, Clemson and others to leave the ACC and play road games until the grant of rights falls apart. No home games, no media rights to forfeit. A higher plane of intelligence, that idea."

I've seen this before but let me see if I understand. For road games, there aren't any media rights? I don't get that. You're still one of the two teams playing, so why wouldn't there be any media rights?

Home team gets paid for the media. In an ACC matchup, it's moot since revenue sharing is equal. In an OoC game, the revenue goes to the home team. When we host an OoC team, we make money from the televising of the game. When an OoC foe hosts us, they get paid. That's one reason why the goal is to have 7 home games a year.

If Clemson/FSU were to leave, any home game they played they would owe the ACC all the money they made for the media rights in that game, and would no longer get their cut of it.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

Home team gets paid for the media. In an ACC matchup, it's moot since revenue sharing is equal. In an OoC game, the revenue goes to the home team. When we host an OoC team, we make money from the televising of the game. When an OoC foe hosts us, they get paid. That's one reason why the goal is to have 7 home games a year.

If Clemson/FSU were to leave, any home game they played they would owe the ACC all the money they made for the media rights in that game, and would no longer get their cut of it.
I had an interesting thought and would love to get feedback on it. What if we scheduled our "home games" at MBS as neutral site games? If that wouldn't fly, what if we did the same but designate the opposing team as the "home" team?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Would the ACC be able to implement unequal revenue sharing without a majority vote for it from all members of the league?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I had an interesting thought and would love to get feedback on it. What if we scheduled our "home games" at MBS as neutral site games? If that wouldn't fly, what if we did the same but designate the opposing team as the "home" team?
I seriously doubt either approach would pass legal muster.
'
You could however legitimately play all home games for a couple of seasons and let the chips fall where they may....doing so might implode the ACC, as if enough teams choose this route, ESPN would have the right to CUT the payments to the remaining teams (because of loss of games they could televise)..which could lead to a domino effect of everyone finally just saying 'sc@@! it' and voting to dissolve the league.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
For poops and laughs, I did some sleuthing around about B1G and GT. Come to find out, a year ago, FSU reporter Gene Williams (from an FSU rival site WarChant...think Kelly Quinlan of FSU) was telling other sources that the B1G is eyeing GT for expansion...IF IF there's a way out of the GOR. Gene Williams evidently has deep sources. Which is interesting, because it's somewhat known that FSU and B1G have had mutual interest for a while now. FSU REALLY wants those $75-$100+ million/year paydays...and they want the prestige of being in the B1G. The president of FSU is on record about wanting FSU to be a top 15 public school, as well as a member of the AAU. It also makes sense that the B1G would not want GT to be on a "southern island".

Ironically, that was reported by Kelly Quinlan. If you click on the link, the first post is readable and it alludes to Gene Williams the WarChant reporter.

You know who has been quiet about all of this? GT. That's just how we've always operated. Who knew about the original invite in 2012 until almost a decade later? See...we're already fitting in with the B1G...

GT33

Helluva Engineer

It's easy for us. We play all "home" conference and OOC games as neutral site games at the Benz and the other half of the conference slate is away games. We lose no revenue, give the ACC the finger.

Clemp would either have to come to Atlanta or go to Charlotte. FSU's only real option is Jax.

For every dumb rule, there's usually a simple way around it.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
For poops and laughs, I did some sleuthing around about B1G and GT. Come to find out, a year ago, FSU reporter Gene Williams (from an FSU rival site WarChant...think Kelly Quinlan of FSU) was telling other sources that the B1G is eyeing GT for expansion...IF IF there's a way out of the GOR. Gene Williams evidently has deep sources. Which is interesting, because it's somewhat known that FSU and B1G have had mutual interest for a while now. FSU REALLY wants those $75-$100+ million/year paydays...and they want the prestige of being in the B1G. The president of FSU is on record about wanting FSU to be a top 15 public school, as well as a member of the AAU. It also makes sense that the B1G would not want GT to be on a "southern island".

Ironically, that was reported by Kelly Quinlan. If you click on the link, the first post is readable and it alludes to Gene Williams the WarChant reporter.

You know who has been quiet about all of this? GT. That's just how we've always operated. Who knew about the original invite in 2012 until almost a decade later? See...we're already fitting in with the B1G...

Pulp Fiction Please GIF by MIRAMAX