2023-24 Season Countdown

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If you think that team success is a bad evaluative measure of individual talent then that's perfectly fine and I would agree. I didn't talk about team success at all in my initial breakdown. But you were the one who brought team success in with "4 of the guys that only won a few games for us last year" as a response to my starting line up. I think the point is flawed on its own because I think by and large our returning players weren't the issues plaguing our team last year. But it also doesn't make sense if you apply the same standard to the incoming transfers. I do have a problem with seemingly using team success only to one group of players though.

You say logic tells you we won't be starting the same players as last year. Logic tells me we will start the best players we have. I said I thought Abram had higher potential than Sturdivant but I think Sturdivant was a better player at the end of last year (and so would expect him to be better to start next year) and provided stats to justify that. If you think Abram is going to be better day one than Sturdivant then go ahead and make the argument. But don't use a standard for one player that you aren't willing to apply to another.

Same with Reeves. If you think he's better than Coleman/Terry than argue it. To me, I see a player who shot more frequently than anyone in our rotation last year at %s worse than anyone in our rotation last year while also having a sub .5 assist to turn over ratio. His rebounding and defensive numbers look okay but nothing noteworthy. He has a ton of athletic potential but that doesn't seem like it's translating to effective play yet. If you see something different then what?

I don't agree with the whole change for the sake of change premise. The changes need to make sense and address issues the team had. The biggest issue we had last year was with interior defense and rebounding. That got somewhat better once Franklin hit his stride but was still an issue. I don't see Abram or Reeves really helping with that though. I also don't think we have a particularly good answer for that issue at the moment. But IMO if you're looking at a newcomer to actually make a big difference with a change that will address the issues it wouldn't be Reeves or Abram. It'd be Ndongo. But he's a true freshman and it's notoriously hard to project how well recruits will adjust to the college game even if they are highly thought of.
We had no ability to beat defenders off the dribble and either get to the rim or pass to an open shooter because a defender dropped off his man to help defend the penetration. Abrams and Reeves bring that badly lacking skill set to our team.

In any 4 out offense that skill set is needed. That is a big reason why Reeves and Abrams will get major minutes next year.

i doubt we see anyone much above 30 minutes/game next season. Last years guys will get significant minutes. Likely mixing and matching based on opponent and matchups.

Defense matters as well. Coleman wasn’t a strong defender at either the 3 or 4 spot.

Should be fun to actually have some solid depth for the first time in years.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Coleman hasn't played his true position either, so really hard to get a true evaluation of him. He was able to handle the ball & facilitate a lil more towards end of season. Do you think he hadn't been able to do that & Pastner automatically start allowing him to do that. Honestly as I have said numerous times before the offense was not conducive to our players. I believe if we indeed run a 4 out system he may benefit from it the most in contrast to the system he had to play in under Pastner

slugboy

Staff member
I looked at the "per 40 minutes" stats, since a lot of our players scoring numbers were limited

For last year, you would get the impression that Coleman Boyd needed a lot more minutes, so you need to be careful with these numbers. I should have removed some of the low minutes players, but this should give some idea of last year vs this year.
All of the stats are going to have issues, fwiw.
PlayerGGSMPFG%2P%3P%FT%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS▼
1Miles Kelly
33​
27​
1070​
0.41​
0.453​
0.379​
0.898​
4.2​
1.6​
0.9​
0.1​
1.8​
2.7​
17.8​
2Coleman Boyd
7​
0​
7​
0.25​
0​
0.333​
0​
5.7​
0​
0​
5.7​
11.4​
17.1​
3Jermontae Hill
5​
0​
5​
1​
1​
0​
0​
0​
0​
8​
16​
16​
4Jalon Moore
32​
15​
658​
0.431​
0.497​
0.114​
0.688​
9.1​
1.6​
1.3​
1.7​
2.6​
3.6​
14.8​
5Kyle Sturdivant
33​
21​
788​
0.393​
0.447​
0.321​
0.695​
3.9​
5.6​
1.2​
0.2​
2.7​
3​
14.4​
6Javon Franklin
32​
19​
874​
0.591​
0.599​
0​
0.651​
11.9​
3.2​
2.1​
2.4​
1.8​
3.2​
14.2​
7Lance Terry
29​
21​
857​
0.421​
0.45​
0.388​
0.814​
3.8​
1.7​
0.8​
0.3​
1.3​
2.8​
13.7​
8Deivon Smith
24​
13​
596​
0.399​
0.438​
0.261​
0.448​
9.1​
6​
1.5​
1.1​
2.1​
2.8​
12.8​
9Freds Bagatskis
9​
0​
26​
0.375​
0.5​
0.333​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
4.6​
12.3​
10Dallan Coleman
33​
31​
1032​
0.376​
0.465​
0.326​
0.689​
3.8​
1.7​
1​
0.4​
1.5​
2.8​
12.2​
11Tristan Maxwell
18​
2​
208​
0.263​
0.227​
0.306​
0.636​
3.5​
2.9​
1.2​
0.2​
1.7​
4​
11.5​
12Cyril Martynov
7​
0​
18​
0.286​
0.286​
0.5​
13.3​
0​
0​
0​
8.9​
4.4​
11.1​
13Rodney Howard
24​
16​
428​
0.545​
0.545​
0.579​
9.6​
2.6​
0.7​
1.1​
2.8​
4.2​
10​
14Jordan Meka
10​
0​
53​
0.286​
0.286​
11.3​
0.8​
1.5​
3​
0.8​
9.8​
3​
15Brayden Daniels
6​
0​
7​
0​
0​
0​
0​
22.9​
5.7​
0​
0​
0​
5.7​
0​

I tried to grab some of the new roster. Losing Javon Franklin stings a bit. It does lean towards Reeves and Abram getting a lot of playing time. I don't expect these numbers--the per 40 numbers are going to be high--but they give you some scaling vs the players we had who would play 38 minutes a game.
There are other players that I couldn't get stats on.

RkPlayerGGSMPFG%2P%3P%FTFTAFT%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS▼
1Miles Kelly
33​
27​
1070​
0.41​
0.453​
0.379​
2​
2.2​
0.898​
4.2​
1.6​
0.9​
0.1​
1.8​
2.7​
17.8​
Kowacee Reeves3175990.3770.5040.2622.94.10.715.51.11.10.42.32.817.6
Amaree Abram33226940.4030.430.36411.60.6673.83.81.30.23.43.615.3
5Kyle Sturdivant
33​
21​
788​
0.393​
0.447​
0.321​
2.1​
3​
0.695​
3.9​
5.6​
1.2​
0.2​
2.7​
3​
14.4​
7Lance Terry
29​
21​
857​
0.421​
0.45​
0.388​
1.6​
2​
0.814​
3.8​
1.7​
0.8​
0.3​
1.3​
2.8​
13.7​
10Dallan Coleman
33​
31​
1032​
0.376​
0.465​
0.326​
2​
2.9​
0.689​
3.8​
1.7​
1​
0.4​
1.5​
2.8​
12.2​
Ebenezer Dowuona3033270.4570.4571.12.10.5297.10.10.63.20.76.56.2
15Brayden Daniels
6​
0​
7​
0​
0​
0​
0​
11.4​
0​
22.9​
5.7​
0​
0​
0​
5.7​
0​

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
CDS said we still have 2 scholarships in hand. If I haven't lost track while in Europe, we have Kelly, Coleman, Terry, Sturdivant, Abram, Reeves, Dowuona, Gapare, Ndongo, Claude, and Sacko. Murphy must not be on an AA scholarship. Forest will count toward 2024 when he arrives.

Assuming that's our roster, my thoughts are:

The four returning guys plus Abram and Reeves are locked for lots of minutes. Some combination of Claude, Gapare, and Dowuona are competing for minutes at the 5. If Ndongo or Sacko moves up, things will get interesting. Murphy came to GT for a reason and I wonder what it is. Is he here because of his play at AFA or to get a graduate degree in engineering? I don't expect Forest to log many minutes this year.

At least until ACC games begin, don't focus on who is starting. CDS will see which combinations work best, who steps up, and who stays healthy. Matchups will also come to play. Minutes matter more to the players. Worry more about who finishes competitive games. Those are the guys CDS can count on.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
I may be wrong, but after the covid extra year thing I remember them saying that if you have a 5th year player on roster who was on your roster before, it doesn't count against your schollys. We have 2 5th year players that we had before.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think they changed the total number of players able to receive scholarships on any team football basketball, or Olympic sport due to Covid

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I may be wrong, but after the covid extra year thing I remember them saying that if you have a 5th year player on roster who was on your roster before, it doesn't count against your schollys. We have 2 5th year players that we had before.

That was the first year only.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
If our starting lineup has 4 guys who started last year by mid Dec we will be a bottom half ACC team for sure.

We needed a significant upgrade in talent to compete as an upper half ACC team. Hopefully some of the transfers in will be the talent upgrade we need.

I would expect Terry, Sturdivant and Coleman to be contributors for sure but not be our best players after Kelly. If they are, well rinse and repeat last year
I think Terry and Kelly will start

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think better coaching and offensive scheme will get much more out of Coleman than a few of you are suggesting. I think he is going to make tremendous strides from last year. Especially, if we have proper spacing on offense.
That would be great. Hope you are correct. He has, at times, been a very good shooter.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

For baseball and maybe other sports, there was an roster exemption if a player was out during the COVID year due to having COVID.

But its largely theoretical since I don't know of any players who missed the season due to being ill with COVID.

But giving all the COVID year guys an extra year has taken away opportunities for younger players.

Not fair, but life isn't.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I have lots of questions about next year's team but absolutely no answers. I need to see the team play.

The pivotal question is whether or not CDS is one of those coaches who can get lot out of the talent he has. Teams seldomly perform simply as the summation of talent and skills. There are thousands of decision nodes over the course of a season. Coaching counts.

The first question I've had is whether or not Coleman will fit. He can shoot but can't create his own shot and he is not the run-jump athlete that CDS seems to be recruiting on the perimeter. Do we see Coleman blossom under a new regime or do we see him fade? Reeves looms here.

Will the talented Reeves break through under Stoudamire?

Does Terry continue the positive trend that he showed at the end of last season?

All the returning players were playing well on offense at the end of last season, but none were inspired defenders. Coleman and Terry started to dig-in some on defense at the end of the year. Sturdivant and especially Kelly not so much.

Pastner's last two GT teams were victimized by porous post defense (ranked 240 out of 353 in defensive efficiency). Franklin competed there t the end of last season, but he is gone. Stoudamire is clearly recruiting run-jump rim protectors (and one space eater in Marshall). Dowuona was recruited as such but his game is limited. Can we protect the rim while having a player with offensive skills in the post?

Is Claude a 4 or a 5?

How good is Abram?

Is Gapare ready to help?

Will either of the Freshmen, Ndongo or Sacko be ready to help?

How big of a rotation do we see?

Can a college team grasp NBA-lite?

Will be a good defensive team?

Will we be a good offensive team?

The ACC is scrambled and wide open for new cream to rise. Is it our time?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have lots of questions about next year's team but absolutely no answers. I need to see the team play.

The pivotal question is whether or not CDS is one of those coaches who can get lot out of the talent he has. Teams seldomly perform simply as the summation of talent and skills. There are thousands of decision nodes over the course of a season. Coaching counts.

The first question I've had is whether or not Coleman will fit. He can shoot but can't create his own shot and he is not the run-jump athlete that CDS seems to be recruiting on the perimeter. Do we see Coleman blossom under a new regime or do we see him fade? Reeves looms here.

Does Terry continue the positive trend that he showed at the end of last season?

All the returning players were playing well on offense at the end of last season, but none were inspired defenders. Coleman and Terry started to dig-in some on defense at the end of the year. Sturdivant and especially Kelly not so much.

Pastner's last two GT teams were victimized by porous post defense (ranked 240 out of 353 in defensive efficiency). Franklin competed there t the end of last season, but he is gone. Stoudamire is clearly recruiting run-jump rim protectors (and one space eater in Marshall). Dowuona was recruited as such but his game is limited. Can we protect the rim while having a player with offensive skills in the post?

Is Claude a 4 or a 5?

How good is Abram?

Is Gapare ready to help?

This is a good post and deserves some answers. It's dinner time where I am today. I will try to reply later.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Is Claude a 4 or a 5?

How good is Abram?

Is Gapare ready to help?

Excellent thoughts and there is clearly no way to know. From his comments so far he is not one to toss around praise easily. I suspect at minimum the players will compete very hard. One advantage having a deeper bench is if someone isn't playing as hard as CDS expects he has potential quality replacements on hand. CJP never really had a go to bench except when Sturdivant came in during the ACC Championship run.

It is nice to be hopeful for a change concerning GTBB.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Is Claude a 4 or a 5?

How good is Abram?

Is Gapare ready to help?

I have a question. How the hell did you get so smart to ask those great questions? LOL You da man!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is a legitimate question. Clearly Batt thinks he is, but the incentive weighted contract says he wants to see results.
Coleman should be fine. He may not be a star, but he can be the shooter who gets the kickouts. And, as you stated, his defense improved during last season. My question about is whether he has the foot speed to play an uptempo game.
Break through? Just give us what he showed at UF. I bet he's better under CDS.
Don't expect huge changes in the production of a 5th year senior. I will be happy if he doesn't backslide.
I don’t expect us to be as good defensively. Too many new faces and a new system. This will take time.
See answer to previous question.
Is Claude a 4 or a 5?
Why does it matter in 2023? We are not going to play a low post game.
How good is Abram?
Darn good. Expect him to be the #2 guy.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
More...
Is Gapare ready to help?

Good questions. Both freshmen are talented. Neither is a project, but young bigs normally need more strength to compete at this level.

This will evolve. CDS needs to see how guys play together. Don't pay too much attention to starting lineups early. It's likely to change.
ill be a good defensive team?

No and should be. We better be improved offensively because we won't be as strong defensively.
We could surprise, but top half would be good.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Is Claude a 4 or a 5?

How good is Abram?

Is Gapare ready to help?

Apparently orientl... has the answers. Questions answered.