2023-24 Predictions

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just booked my Cincy flights and accommodations. Anybody doing any away days? Also has anybody ever succeeded in getting away ticket allotment from GTAA for basketball or is it reserved for family and megadonors?
They are generally reserved for family and mega donors - or Ron Bell ;) :rolleyes:

I would call the ticket group and see what they say. Even call the basketball office and see what they say. I expect the problem will be they won’t know what might be available outside of the core group until close to game time if they ever are available

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Away tickets for hoops are notoriously hard to score through schools' AAs. They get a small number of tix (believe it's 150, but not positive) and that has to cover everyone who isn't on the bench. Trainers / medical staff, coaches' wives & kids, AD and family, players' families and friends. Usually leaves a handful of tix for major donors. These days, SeatGeek, Vivid, & StubHub have made the secondary market ubiquitous and affordable.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Away tickets for hoops are notoriously hard to score through schools' AAs. They get a small number of tix (believe it's 150, but not positive) and that has to cover everyone who isn't on the bench. Trainers / medical staff, coaches' wives & kids, AD and family, players' families and friends. Usually leaves a handful of tix for major donors. These days, SeatGeek, Vivid, & StubHub have made the secondary market ubiquitous and affordable.
I buy tickets directly from the schools up here. For basketball, Duke is impossible, but UNC and NC State usually have tickets. Not for rivalry games, but GT is not yet a rival for either school. And, both arenas have street vendors out before the game. If you are willing to wait until just before gametime the prices can be pretty good. Single game tickets for our Feb 3rd game @ NC State will go on sale Oct 9th.

I will add this to my comment. If we and NCSU are both in the top half of the conference that weekend, tickets will be hard to get. If you think you might want to come to Raleigh, but the tickets when they open up, not in the days just before the game.

Another interesting note. NCSU Women's Basketball season tickets are sold out. Single game tickets for our game on Feb 18th, if available, will go on sale Oct 12th. Both Men's and Women's teams from UNC travel to Atlanta this year. We do not have a game in Chapel Hill.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
That is if you consider affordable to be the listed price before they add all the processing fees at checkout. $15 tickets to see GT volleyball at USF cost $30 each by the time they got through with me. I wouldn't mind a reasonable "per purchase" processing fee; but a "per ticket" processing fee seems a bit greedy to me.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
SeatGeek, Vivid, & StubHub have made the secondary market ubiquitous

Points for ubiquitous.....

sandra bullock stars GIF

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just checked, Preseason they are projected 9th in the SEC
They have the pieces to be really good, and Howland is gone. They lost their top scorer (turned pro) and another double digit scorer used up his eligibility. The portal was pretty good to them and they signed the #1 scorer in Mississippi basketball history. The kid can play. They have size in a couple of 7-footers. Being picked 8th or 9th ain't bad. We're picked 13th.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
They have the pieces to be really good, and Howland is gone. They lost their top scorer (turned pro) and another double digit scorer used up his eligibility. The portal was pretty good to them and they signed the #1 scorer in Mississippi basketball history. The kid can play. They have size in a couple of 7-footers. Being picked 8th or 9th ain't bad. We're picked 13th.
Are we to the point yet where you're picked 8th or 9th, but in a 20 teams conference that's means you're good? Or is that still a few years away?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Are we to the point yet where you're picked 8th or 9th, but in a 20 teams conference that's means you're good? Or is that still a few years away?
Need to be better than 8/9 to be a good team in a very large conference. This year in the ACC I would expect the top 4 are for sure in the NCAAT, #5-7 are in the maybe category.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We're about a month away fellas. These discussions have me amped about our new staff and the roster they've put together. I expect some bumps early on, but I also expect to see some exciting, fast paced basketball. Between debating which bowl game we'll go to :) , and the start of basketball season, November should be a fun month for GT athletics.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We're about a month away fellas. These discussions have me amped about our new staff and the roster they've put together. I expect some bumps early on, but I also expect to see some exciting, fast paced basketball. Between debating which bowl game we'll go to :) , and the start of basketball season, November should be a fun month for GT athletics.
That didn’t age well. 😞😩

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There's not been much said about Kowacie Reeves so far, so I want to toss out my thoughts. In high school he was a high 4* or 5* player. For whatever reason, he did not hit it off with Todd Golden at Florida. He began last season as a starter with high hopes, but soon saw his minutes almost disappear. He was a great 3-point shooter in high school, but has been a 30% shooter in college. He entered his name in the portal as soon as the 2022-23 season ended. He also entered the portal after his freshman year, but Golden's staff recruited him to stay at UF. Even with the inconsistency last year, he averaged 8.5 ppg and 2.6 rpg with less than 20 minutes of playing time.

I believe he will surprise GT fans. He is a true SG at 6'7" and is extremely athletic. Dismissing him as a potential starter or sixth man is looking past his potential at Tech. I don't think he will become Steph Curry in one season, but there is more there than he showed at UF. Plus, he should be comfortable academically at GT. He's an honor student.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Excited and very optimistic. I’ll drink the new season of kool-aid.

Prediction: 19-9
Need to go 2-1 in ACCT to make NCAAT.