2023-2024 ROSTER???

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Given the turnover in the roster staff and system, I am in the “I got no idea” camp. Some thoughts but nothing I would put any money on

I will echo Relic’s point though. Figure it out early and not after it doesn’t matter anymore

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Given the turnover in the roster staff and system, I am in the “I got no idea” camp. Some thoughts but nothing I would put any money on

I will echo Relic’s point though. Figure it out early and not after it doesn’t matter anymore
Usually i would agree with this statement. Howver, with so much turnover and everyone being new including the coaching staff, it may take a little while to get it figured out. One of my biggest gripes with Pastner was he that it took half the season to figure it out with guys who had been in the program previous seasons.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like the heights and Weights have been updated on the GTAA website.

Miles Kelly is up to 180lbs. Still listed at 6'6"
Deebo is down to 210lbs (from 218?)
Claude shrunk. I think he was listed at 6'8" 236lbs but now he is listed at 6'7" 226lbs.
Dowunoa up to 230lbs. Still 6'11"
Kowacie listed at 6'7" 202lbs
Sacko at 6'6" 225 (up a snidge from 222). Sacko and Claude are pretty much the same size.
Souare and Ndongo both listed at 6'9" 214lbs
Gapare at 6'9" 206lbs
Lance Terry 6'3" 198lbs (down a couple pounds)
Sturdivant 6'3" 195lbs (down a couple)
Abram at 6'4" 195

Walk-on:
Daniels is no longer on the roster.
Emmers is 6'6" 219. He really changed his body based on the photos.
Carter Murphy is 6'4" 205lbs
New Walk on is Marcos San Miguel at 6'4" 190.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Looks like the heights and Weights have been updated on the GTAA website.

Miles Kelly is up to 180lbs. Still listed at 6'6"
Deebo is down to 210lbs (from 218?)
Claude shrunk. I think he was listed at 6'8" 236lbs but now he is listed at 6'7" 226lbs.
Dowunoa up to 230lbs. Still 6'11"
Kowacie listed at 6'7" 202lbs
Sacko at 6'6" 225 (up a snidge from 222). Sacko and Claude are pretty much the same size.
Souare and Ndongo both listed at 6'9" 214lbs
Gapare at 6'9" 206lbs
Lance Terry 6'3" 198lbs (down a couple pounds)
Sturdivant 6'3" 195lbs (down a couple)
Abram at 6'4" 195

Walk-on:
Daniels is no longer on the roster.
Emmers is 6'6" 219. He really changed his body based on the photos.
Carter Murphy is 6'4" 205lbs
New Walk on is Marcos San Miguel at 6'4" 190.
Lots of length on this roster. Both excited and not having a clue how the team will play this season. Really will be interesting to see how minutes are distributed and court combinations.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I have always felt that Deebo could be an All ACC caliber player with the right offensive scheme.

Robert Redford Nod GIF

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have always felt that Deebo could be an All ACC caliber player with the right offensive scheme.

I think a lot of the holdovers will surprise us in Stoudamire's system. I really wasn't a fan of Pastner's rigid style (though not as rigid as Gregory's). I think Stoudamire's system will let guys play to their strengths and it'll be more wide open in terms of letting players "express themselves".

I'm pretty excited about what Stoudamire has been saying in regard to the style he wants to play, and the players on the roster. We'll find out soon how it all looks, but you have to be excited about all of it so far.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Stoudamire talks about discipline, attention to detail and not skipping steps. Doesn't sound like a free system to me.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Doesn't sound like a free system to me.
What do you mean by this? Has Staudamire hinted that he has a free system?

I think he will have an offensive system that allows for more options, but it will not be a playground offense. Look for more double screens and pick & roll plays. Those are old fashioned plays, but, done properly, requie discipline and attention to detail. And, definitely not skipping steps. Especially in practice.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I was responding to this statement:

"I think Stoudamire's system will let guys play to their strengths and it'll be more wide open in terms of letting players "express themselves"."

My impression is that Stoudamire has detailed standards of what good basketball looks like. I look forward to seeing what that looks like.

Attention to detail to me not only means detailed execution of technique (like a crossover dribble) but also clear standards of execution of scheme. There will be a way in which a situation is attacked, and that way will be detailed in execution. If a team plays us like 'x' then we will attack it like 'z'

In my mind, when the coach is talking about discipline and attention to detail he is talking about optimizing situations. For a team to function cohesively, the players have to know what his team mates are going to do in a given situation. That demands structure. All five guys recognizing the situation and then understanding how the other guys are going to attack that situation.

Top players may thrive when they can "express themselves" but when Stoudamire is talking about "not skipping steps," he is talking about guys being able to execute the basics before being creative.

In other words, I interpret Stoudamire's system to being the opposite of loosey goosey. I think we will be highly structured within given situations. But time will tell.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
I had the sometimes humbling experience of playing in the late 60's and early 70's against some of the countries' best players whose coaches were the developers of today's offenses and defenses. Our Coach Hyder was a student of the game since he went to Tech on a football scholarship which he played several years, but also was a four sport letterman in basketball, baseball, track and cross country. He captained the basketball, baseball, and track teams his senior year in 1937, the basketball team going undefeated 10-0 in SEC play and him being drafted and played for the New York Yankees in baseball. What he did as a basketball coach was modify and combine offenses and defenses of the day, as did most other coaches. The east coast style was different that the west coast style. UNC's Dean Smith was running the shuffle/passing game which now is a motion offense, with a focus on the point guard directing things. Point guard George Karl took that to coach in the NBA in Denver. Kentucky's Adolph Rupp was running the guard-around offense with a point guard focus. Coach Hyder, with far less talent on our teams, beat both Rupp and Smith teams at times with his modifications and adaptability. Further west, UCLA's Coach Wooden was running his high-post offense with reverse action fast breaks, my sophomore year with a two guard front (Henry Bibby and John Valeley), two wing forwards (Curtis Rowe and Sidney Wicks) and center (Steve Patterson), all low drafts into the NBA. We did not come close to beating them, losing 121-90 in their Christmas Tournament in 1969. During that time Arizona's Lute Olson was coaching on the west coast at Long Beach State and the San Diego State, likely studying the ways of Coach Wooden. Coach Olsen's style was pressure on both ends of the court, fast paced play with fast breaks always, 2-2-1 zone press, and a 1-4 high set offense, a slight change from Coach Wooden's 2 guard high post offense. With Coach Stoudamire playing guard at Coach Olsen's "point Guard" U., I suspect Georgia Tech will do pretty much the same style offense and defense as he learned in college and likely used thereafter at Pacific and with the Celtics, where the center was not the main focus (unless he gets a Lou Alcindor of Dave Cowens). I believe his long goal is to make Georgia Tech once again point guard U., as Bobby Cremins did after playing point guard at South Carolina. This first year, Coach Stoudamire will do well with what he inherited, recruited, and scratched out from the portal. Next year he will begin to redo point guard U. with the kid from 17th street old Atlantic Steel Company, using what he was taught from the days of John Wooden and Lute Olsen. It takes a deep bench to do that, with Coach Olsen routinely playing 10 players. By the way, Coach Wooden's teams shot lots of 3 pointers, but only got credit for two pointers. Henry Bibby was hard to guard and was faster than Nate Archibald.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was responding to this statement:

"I think Stoudamire's system will let guys play to their strengths and it'll be more wide open in terms of letting players "express themselves"."

I said that, and that does not mean it's a "free system" as you are implying it suggests. College BBall isn't rec league ball or intramurals where players go off and do what they want.

More "more wide open" just means, compared to Pastner's system, they will have the opportunity to use their skillset to take advantage of the defender to create shots, or a scoring opportunity. In fact, it's one of the things Stoudamire sold Reeves on to come to GT:

Stoudamire also pitched Reeves on a fast-paced style “where the players have a lot of freedom to go create things in different ways, and I think Kowacie’s skill set fits that,” Reeves Sr. said.

BTW, THIS is the type of "wide open in terms of letting players express themselves" that I meant:

If anyone knows the value of letting a player who has an obvious skillset to create an advantage, it's Stoudamire.

Last edited:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
What do you mean by this? Has Staudamire hinted that he has a free system?

I think he will have an offensive system that allows for more options, but it will not be a playground offense. Look for more double screens and pick & roll plays. Those are old fashioned plays, but, done properly, requie discipline and attention to detail. And, definitely not skipping steps. Especially in practice.
Its easy to try a pick and role play with a big man but it seems if the BM can't shoot outside10 ft, the def will just drop off and clutter the lane.Do we have a BM that can do this now?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Its easy to try a pick and role play with a big man but it seems if the BM can't shoot outside10 ft, the def will just drop off and clutter the lane.Do we have a BM that can do this now?
Here is how discipline enters the discussion. If you are guarding a man that cannot shoot the 10-footer, you drop off. If he can, you hang with him. But, what happens if you are guarding someone after a switch? Do you know his tendacies? Is he good at 10 feet but not at 15? The defense has to have a plan for how you handle those situations. And, players have to have the discipline to execute the plan.

On offense, you don't pick with a man who cannot execute the play either way. It's more complicated than it appears in the stands. These guys are basketball smart. But there has to be a plan they can believe in. It sounds like the GT guys believe in the CDS plan on offense. And he is still selling the defensive plan. I am not defending Pastner, but he sold the D 1st. You need both.