2023-2024 ROSTER???

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you have a guess yet as how the offense will flow considering the roster with the 4 additions and assuming Kelly returns?

In limited watching the Celtics Tatum and Brown are special players who can shoot and attack the basket with ease.

We have 3 pretty good 3 point shooters. I am not sure we have guys that can attack the basket. How much can a player improve in that area, I don’t have a clue.

This year should be interesting. We have a lot of guys who have played a lot of college basketball on the roster now.

I am hopeful this year.
I think our ability to drive to the basket was Pastner keeping the lane clogged with his offense. Watching Boston's 5 out gives more opportunities . But our players ability are unknown.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If you're trying to say that we need to add another guard, I think that we all agree with you. Sit tight... He ain't done yet.

I was more talking generically about how I think dedicated ball handlers are more needed in college than NBA, but yes, I think we do need, or needed, another guard, specifically a PG. And looks like we landed one.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Current Roster:
PG - Sturdivant/Abram
SG- Kelly*/Terry
SF - Coleman/Reeves
PF - Moore/Gapare
C - Claude/ Dowuona
*Entered Draft, no agent.

WOW, major props to CDS, staff, and support of Admin. Let Kelly come back, and all others stay in place, and the Thrillerdome identity is gonna be dusted off and back in play.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Current Roster:
PG - Sturdivant/Abram
SG- Kelly*/Terry
SF - Coleman/Reeves
PF - Moore/Gapare
C - Claude/ Dowuona
*Entered Draft, no agent.

WOW, major props to CDS, staff, and support of Admin. Let Kelly come back, and all others stay in place, and the Thrillerdome identity is gonna be dusted off and back in play.

Mix of productive veterans (Claude, Sturdivant, Terry) and young guys with high upside (Kelly, Abram, Coleman, Reeves).

Not gonna lie, between a new coach with a potentially more open system, and some high upside transfers...I'm starting to get REALLY excited about next season already.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Mix of productive veterans (Claude, Sturdivant, Terry) and young guys with high upside (Kelly, Abram, Coleman, Reeves).

Not gonna lie, between a new coach with a potentially more open system, and some high upside transfers...I'm starting to get REALLY excited about next season already.
Curious as to when you don't consider a player a young guy? 3 of the 4 "young guys on your list are Juniors. For me a young guy is a freshman or a sophomore who didn't play much as a freshmen. After that I view players as experienced older guys.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Curious as to when you don't consider a player a young guy? 3 of the 4 "young guys on your list are Juniors. For me a young guy is a freshman or a sophomore who didn't play much as a freshmen. After that I view players as experienced older guys.

LOL...for some reason my head goes back to how many seasons they potentially have left. Covid eligibility is screwing with classification clock. I believe they all have at least 3 years?

But you're right, they are no longer "young" in terms of college years.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
LOL...for some reason my head goes back to how many seasons they potentially have left. Covid eligibility is screwing with classification clock. I believe they all have at least 3 years?

But you're right, they are no longer "young" in terms of college years.

Kelly, Coleman, and Reeves have two years left. Covid didn't impact them. Abrams has three.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
2023-24 Roster Build:
--Amaree Abram, So.(3 more yrs. of eligibility). 2G-SF
-Tafara Gapare, So.(reclassified from 2023 to play 2022 as a Fr.). PF
-Tyzhaun Claude, Sr.(eligible for a 5th year, also). PF
-Ebenezer Dowuona, Sr.(has a 5th year available, too). Center/PF-Low Post
-Kowacie Reeves, Jr. (2G)
-Lance Terry, Sr.-5th yr.
-Kyle Sturdivant, Sr.-5th yr.
-Dallan Coleman, Jr.
-Jalon Moore, Jr.
-Miles Kelly, Jr.
-Brayden Daniels(WO)
-Emmer Nichols(WO)

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
Gotta coach them up, but just off raw talent, this looks like the most talented roster we’ve had since the Hewitt era assuming Kelly comes back imo.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
2023-24 Roster Build:
--Amaree Abram, So.(3 more yrs. of eligibility). 2G-SF
-Tafara Gapare, So.(reclassified from 2023 to play 2022 as a Fr.). PF
-Tyzhaun Claude, Sr.(eligible for a 5th year, also). PF
-Ebenezer Dowuona, Sr.(has a 5th year available, too). Center/PF-Low Post
-Kowacie Reeves, Jr. (2G)
-Lance Terry, Sr.-5th yr.
-Kyle Sturdivant, Sr.-5th yr.
-Dallan Coleman, Jr.
-Jalon Moore, Jr.
-Miles Kelly, Jr.
-Brayden Daniels(WO)
-Emmer Nichols(WO)
Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems like Abram is more of a point guard than a 2G/SF based on his videos.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think our back court is pretty well set up.

I would think we'd mostly run Sturdivant, Kelly, Terry, and Coleman with Kelly likely running the show when Sturdivant sits and maybe Abram develops into that back up ball handler role some. I think it'll be hard for Reeves to find the floor much with this group but if he adjusts well to the situation maybe. Gives us some depth and insurance against injury though at least as an option.

I think the biggest question is will we have to play Coleman at the 4 spot. I don't think that really suits him and think it hurt him last year. We need Moore to develop greatly at that position. I think Gapare has long term potential but I don't think we should be expecting much contribution from him this year. He'd have to make massive strides from his freshman year, which isn't impossible.

At the 5 the big question is how can Claude adjust. 6-8 240 with his production should allow him to be effective in some circumstances, but between his size and his tendency to foul, I worry about how he will do against better teams we face. I don't expect really anything from Dowuona based on the past 3 years at State. Big body to throw at other teams to try and wear them down but beyond that and I don't see it. Has some solid block numbers but from what Ive heard from some NCSU fans he has a tendency to get out of position defensively chasing blocks which isn't good if we're not going to also have a shot blocking threat at the 4 along side him.

I think we ideally we'd be able to pull a PF/C hybrid that can play effectively either alongside Claude or Moore respectively. As it stands, I think we'd likely have a back court good enough to keep us competitive but likely still looking at front court issues that will be exploited at times.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think our back court is pretty well set up.

I would think we'd mostly run Sturdivant, Kelly, Terry, and Coleman with Kelly likely running the show when Sturdivant sits and maybe Abram develops into that back up ball handler role some. I think it'll be hard for Reeves to find the floor much with this group but if he adjusts well to the situation maybe. Gives us some depth and insurance against injury though at least as an option.

I think the biggest question is will we have to play Coleman at the 4 spot. I don't think that really suits him and think it hurt him last year. We need Moore to develop greatly at that position. I think Gapare has long term potential but I don't think we should be expecting much contribution from him this year. He'd have to make massive strides from his freshman year, which isn't impossible.

At the 5 the big question is how can Claude adjust. 6-8 240 with his production should allow him to be effective in some circumstances, but between his size and his tendency to foul, I worry about how he will do against better teams we face. I don't expect really anything from Dowuona based on the past 3 years at State. Big body to throw at other teams to try and wear them down but beyond that and I don't see it. Has some solid block numbers but from what Ive heard from some NCSU fans he has a tendency to get out of position defensively chasing blocks which isn't good if we're not going to also have a shot blocking threat at the 4 along side him.

I think we ideally we'd be able to pull a PF/C hybrid that can play effectively either alongside Claude or Moore respectively. As it stands, I think we'd likely have a back court good enough to keep us competitive but likely still looking at front court issues that will be exploited at times.
Abram averaged 21 minutes a game for Ole Miss last year. I expect he will get significant minutes for us this year. His minutes are in the range that Sturdivant, Smith and Moore got last year. CDS will have an interesting fall camp. Not many teams go deeper than an 8 man primary rotation. We have 10 guys now on scholarship.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Will be interesting to see what Sturdy's minutes look like. He really came to life in the back portion of our season last year. I think if he can continue to play clean ball and be a distributor he will have his role. The pick up of Abram is interesting though as will Kelly potentially coming back and wanting to show his ability to bring the ball up to allow for better NBA evaluations.

der-k

Georgia Tech Fan
To that end, here’s how many MPG everybody averaged last year (ignores level of competition, injuries, etc)

5: Claude 26 / Dowuona 11
4: Moore 21 / Reeves 19 / Gapare 12
3: Coleman 31
2: Kelly 32 / Terry 30
1: Sturdivant 24 / Abram 21

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Abram averaged 21 minutes a game for Ole Miss last year. I expect he will get significant minutes for us this year. His minutes are in the range that Sturdivant, Smith and Moore got last year. CDS will have an interesting fall camp. Not many teams go deeper than an 8 man primary rotation. We have 10 guys now on scholarship.

I expect he'd get similar to the minutes Sturdivant got his first year here which was 12 mpg. I don't know much about Ole Miss last year but a quick look at their roster makes me think the path for playing time at guard here is harder than it was last year especially since it looks like they had a starter step away mid year. There is the obvious unknown about how CDS wants to run his rotation because it did look like he had an fairly deep bench often at Pacific iirc. But with Sturdivant, Terry, Coleman, and Kelly competing for time in the back court, I think it will be hard for Abram to get much more than 12 this year unless we really go heavy with Coleman at the 4 spot. I could see something like

Kelly -32
Sturdivant - 30
Terry - 27
Coleman - 15 (on the wing with some at the 4)
which would leave 26 minutes in the back court to split between Reeves and Abram. I wouldn't be completely surprised if Abram came in and took the majority of those minutes but I think its likely to be a bit situational between the two. Also possible Coleman spends most of his time at the 4 and we go to a real 4 out look as our base which would open up more minutes.

der-k

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m thinking Reeves is a 4/3 (even if he rebounds like a guard)
Also, with all these guys, CDS recruited the transfers but not necessarily the incumbents + we don’t know if anyone was promised pt or a certain role.