2022 Spring Game

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Was at the "Game", some notes and thoughts from my limited ability to discern what is supposed to go on...
- Music WAY too loud, definitely hard to carry on conversations with other fans.
- there were some students at least in the Tailgate section
- LOTS of recruits and their entourage
- O line still has a ways to go
- SIms went against the #1 D, Gibson against #2
- For those that watched on TV, was there any comment as to why Pyron wasn't "playing"
- lots more "slant" passes
- QB "runs" may have been sacks if tackling the QB was allowed
- at least there was tackling
- D laid a few good "hits"
- feel good time just to be close and see the players and to be on the field
- thankful it wasn't raining, too cold, to too hot!

JacketFan137

Banned
Gibson looked very good. Good arm strength, quick decisions, accurate throws, decent speed when he ran. There is not much of a drop when he came in (understand it was against second team defense).
he throws a good ball for sure. more concerned about how bad that defense was he went up against. gibson was throwing to people that were as open as opposing WRs were against us last year lol

JacketFan137

Banned
Hard to tell on TV, but appeared Gibson is better able to find the open man than Sims, Sims has always had that problem it appears to me. One of the things I liked about film I saw on Pyron was his play making ability. I like QBs that just know how to beat you, don't necessarily look great doing it all the time, they're just winners.
going up against the second string defense makes that much easier

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This seems like yet another promotional gimmick primed to backfire on us...
I just don't understand this. Have the game on Saturday and make it an all-day festival, with a big to-do after the game. Include the players, having them mingle with the crowds after the game. Having it on a Thursday means a small crowd and a short event. You'll attract die-hard fans, but no one else.
It really makes you wonder how we continue to make boneheaded moves year after year. It is the standard.
The general incompetence in our athletic department for most of the last 60 years, excluding when Homer Rice was there, never fails to amaze me.
Maybe they don’t want fans to be there?

Boren5034

Georgia Tech Fan
Was at the "Game", some notes and thoughts from my limited ability to discern what is supposed to go on...
- Music WAY too loud, definitely hard to carry on conversations with other fans.
- there were some students at least in the Tailgate section
- LOTS of recruits and their entourage
- O line still has a ways to go
- SIms went against the #1 D, Gibson against #2
- For those that watched on TV, was there any comment as to why Pyron wasn't "playing"
- lots more "slant" passes
- QB "runs" may have been sacks if tackling the QB was allowed
- at least there was tackling
- D laid a few good "hits"
- feel good time just to be close and see the players and to be on the field
- thankful it wasn't raining, too cold, to too hot!
Pyron has a hurt thumb. Nothing serious but kept him out according to the telecast.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
he throws a good ball for sure. more concerned about how bad that defense was he went up against. gibson was throwing to people that were as open as opposing WRs were against us last year lol
That was my thought as well. The 2nd team defense looked really weak. I suspect that is part of why Gibson looked good. Would have liked to see him get some play with the first team.
The no touch rules and starting position allowed the offense to look better than it likely would in a real game.
OL didn't stand out at all to me. Rushing was pretty limited.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
We do it every freaking year. Look I’m mid 30s, and actually even like some rap. But you could play it at a lower volume and srill have some music but allow the fans to have a normal conversation without f’n having to shout at each other .
I'm assuming he is trying to make it like a hostile crowd for the players where they can't hear let alone you and I

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Noticed in the fan comments that reactions were split between those who didn’t like the move and those who thought this would boost recruiting.

well, half of them are way behind then. according to this site, the only reasons to move it are the admin doesn't want anyone to see it, the coach must be fired, the AD must be fired, and the coach must be fired.

Those UF fans sure aren't as smart as Tech folk.

JacketFan137

Banned
That was my thought as well. The 2nd team defense looked really weak. I suspect that is part of why Gibson looked good. Would have liked to see him get some play with the first team.
The no touch rules and starting position allowed the offense to look better than it likely would in a real game.
OL didn't stand out at all to me. Rushing was pretty limited.
it’s tough to tell if run plays are going well in this format. dontae has shown great contact balance and fights through tackles as good as anyone, martin is a big bruiser back too. these guys getting hit by one man and the play being blown dead in a scrimmage doesn’t showcase their talents fully. in a game situation we have seen dontae find big plays after contact, even if the ref whistles them dead too early -_-

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
it’s tough to tell if run plays are going well in this format. dontae has shown great contact balance and fights through tackles as good as anyone, martin is a big bruiser back too. these guys getting hit by one man and the play being blown dead in a scrimmage doesn’t showcase their talents fully. in a game situation we have seen dontae find big plays after contact, even if the ref whistles them dead too early -_-
I'm a big Dontae fan, he also had a good interview during the telecast. My concern though is more that it did not appear to me that the OL was able to get any significant push on our DL.
If our RB's are constantly getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage that is going to have a big negative impact on the run game and offense in general.

I definitely have concerns that our OL could be worse than last years, but we won't know either way until we start playing games in the fall.

JacketFan137

Banned
I'm a big Dontae fan, he also had a good interview during the telecast. My concern though is more that it did not appear to me that the OL was able to get any significant push on our DL.
If our RB's are constantly getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage that is going to have a big negative impact on the run game and offense in general.

I definitely have concerns that our OL could be worse than last years, but we won't know either way until we start playing games in the fall.
yeah that’s a fair concern and i do think some of that can be helped and adjusted by us going fast, running screens and rpos and getting the ball out quicker. seemed like last year patenaude just called plays ignoring our deficiencies on the o line. like going under center on short yardage, or running 7 step drops when our line wasn’t gonna stay firm for 2 seconds

ultimately it’s always tough to tell what a season is gonna look like based on a spring game either way. with the new coaches implementing things and remodeled defense i would imagine september will look very different.

that being said i like some of the things i saw like antonio martin’s size, blackstrain making plays downfield and charlie thomas continuing to be a major disruptive force. still some questions but some positives too at least

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I haven't had a chance to watch this yet but if our second string defense is significantly worse than our first string defense which will likely be pretty bad this year then holy cow, what are we doing on that side of the ball?