2022 Spring Game

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I remember the last time I went to a spring game in March. I can't remember the year, but it was raining, about 35 degrees, and the wind was blowing. I have seldom been colder then I was at that game.

I mean, I know we are in for climate change, but anyone who trusts the weather in Atlanta during the middle of March is, shall we say, challenged. And it's on St. Patrick's Day too boot. Thanks, but I'll stick with the Guinness and my local pub, if its all the same to the Tech athletic department.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Set for Thursday March 17th. Kickoff has not been decided yet.

https://ramblinwreck.com/2022-fb-spring-game-date-march-17/
I actually think this is a good idea this year. With the poor play the past 3 seasons, there wasn't going to be much fan interest in the spring game anyway. Now there are multiple reasons to blame for not having a large crowd - weeknight, perhaps colder weather, etc. That way, recruits aren't as disappointed with low attendance. If we have a good season this fall, I bet the spring game gets moved back to a Saturday.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The general incompetence in our athletic department for most of the last 60 years, excluding when Homer Rice was there, never fails to amaze me.
I stopped being amazed years ago. Now I just don’t expect a thing. I go to my seat, cheer, get pissed about the loss, then leave. My eyes were really opened when I attended the hottest most chaotic fan day with twin 7 year olds years ago. Made the 3 hour drive up to Bobby Dodd and had a miserable experience because that event was so disorganized I couldn’t believe it. Then I attended a spring game a few years later, again, with twin children, and they ran out of water. Of all the campuses I’ve attended games at, GT is easily the worst experience.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I stopped being amazed years ago. Now I just don’t expect a thing. I go to my seat, cheer, get pissed about the loss, then leave. My eyes were really opened when I attended the hottest most chaotic fan day with twin 7 year olds years ago. Made the 3 hour drive up to Bobby Dodd and had a miserable experience because that event was so disorganized I couldn’t believe it. Then I attended a spring game a few years later, again, with twin children, and they ran out of water. Of all the campuses I’ve attended games at, GT is easily the worst experience.

One of the wet spring games a few years back, I actually had a security lady tell me to sit down. I guess I was blocking the ghosts view along the lower north railing. We definitely don’t make it easy on ourselves.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
When cgc in to gt early dec came he signed the entire class of recruits from previous coaching staff - even though they were recruited for a different offense. Next year he let 3 qb s try to win job and in practice he let 3 rd string get reps. What a nice guy

Last year he was giving his long time coaching buddies have one last try at getting a good product on field. He continued to be a players coach that strived family love. What a nice guy.

Now he has had a talk w someone and has made coaching changes. He has given the new coaches the microphone without him blabbing about how great HE thinks they are. He has a good class of transfers that are a good mix of immediate and future help. Hs recruits have high star rating but class has limited number.

Gt s is having to have spring training very early.because we are in the portal era.
We will evaluate our players, put the word out to other players we are interested in and see them in their spring game.
I expect more transfers out and in
No more mr nice guy
Interesting take. I HOPE and PRAY there is some method to this madness.After the "touch" game last yr I didn't think it could get worse.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
I have only vulgar words for anyone who chooses to defend this decision or tries to gaslight anyone calling it out for what it is

Georgia Tech fans are masochists

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
From the article:

"An additional reason that the athletic department officials chose Thursday is that they want to have students at the game, and holding it on the Friday before spring break likely would limit student attendance."

Good luck getting students to choose a spring game over a St Patties party. Something tells me they didn't think this one through...

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
From the article:

"An additional reason that the athletic department officials chose Thursday is that they want to have students at the game, and holding it on the Friday before spring break likely would limit student attendance."

Good luck getting students to choose a spring game over a St Patties party. Something tells me they didn't think this one through...
How about just not scheduling the spring game the week before spring break anyway lol. I generally don’t think spring games are all that big of a deal, but they should be able to get kids and families into the stadium and around the players. Especially those kids and families who normally wouldn’t get that opportunity during the fall season. Any random Saturday in the spring would’ve been a better choice. Attendance is probably going to be sparse anyway. Why not schedule it to give as many people an opportunity to come as possible?

As for the game itself, I really hope it’s not another game of touch, and not another stupid gimmicky scoring system. I want 11v11, normal football. Not any weird “this QB vs. that QB” stuff like what they did last year. I want best on best, and a true white team vs. gold team like what every other program on the country does. Mix the QBs around to get work with the 1st team and against the 1st team defense if you want. But what they did last year was a joke. And this scheduling is a joke

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Interesting take. I HOPE and PRAY there is some method to this madness.After the "touch" game last yr I didn't think it could get worse.
Oc will have them ""Tough""" touching this spring.

I probably will bring wife - she has never seen ATL in spring.

Would be great if they get students involved- best way to get long term football donations is to make some positive personal memories..

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Oc will have them ""Tough""" touching this spring.

I probably will bring wife - she has never seen ATL in spring.

Would be great if they get students involved- best way to get long term football donations is to make some positive personal memories..
Yea I know Wins!

JacketFan137

Banned
i don’t get why some of these people have such an axe to grind with the no hitting. let’s risk injury to our razor thin depth just so a couple of old fans can be happy.

seems like the wrong thing to direct your anger to

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
From the article:

Guinness on tap at the concession stand.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Students will not be involved at all. Only the diehard students. It’s Thursday before spring break so a lot of students will already be gone. I have a GT student. Friday‘s are a skeleton class schedule with lots of classes “on line” optional on Fridays so students will already be heading out of ATL Thursday afternoon. Add St. Patty’s day and the NCAA tourney and frat houses will be packed - Bobby Dodd not so much. I know my son will go to the game for the first few possessions to see Sims and what the RB’s look like and then it’s off to the frat house where the girls are with March Madness on the flat screens. He is a diehard and will probably watch the full spring game later on YouTube.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I just don't understand this. Have the game on Saturday and make it an all-day festival, with a big to-do after the game. Include the players, having them mingle with the crowds after the game. Having it on a Thursday means a small crowd and a short event. You'll attract die-hard fans, but no one else.
Agree. Hard to make it down there on a weekday.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Students will not be involved at all. Only the diehard students. It’s Thursday before spring break so a lot of students will already be gone. I have a GT student. Friday‘s are a skeleton class schedule with lots of classes “on line” optional on Fridays so students will already be heading out of ATL Thursday afternoon. Add St. Patty’s day and the NCAA tourney and frat houses will be packed - Bobby Dodd not so much. I know my son will go to the game for the first few possessions to see Sims and what the RB’s look like and then it’s off to the frat house where the girls are with March Madness on the flat screens. He is a diehard and will probably watch the full spring game later on YouTube.
The ncaa first round on thursday are not that ""must see"" to me. Usually pretty one sided . But if girls and beer are there , then I get it

The Saturday Sunday games ( second round) usually have some great upsets.

Hope we get green draft beer at bds

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
The ncaa first round on thursday are not that ""must see"" to me. Usually pretty one sided . But if girls and beer are there , then I get it

The Saturday Sunday games ( second round) usually have some great upsets.

Hope we get green draft beer at bds

Thursday/Friday games are some of the great upsets and absolutely must see TV for most people.