2022 Spring Football Practice

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll just say this...
I’m not banking on any of these guys REALLY knowing how good they are going to be. I also don’t EXPECT that. I’m more interested in what they THINK they are. If they think they are improving, they likely will. They’ll put in the effort and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. So I guess as long as they believe, I believe.
“Just win baby”…Al Davis

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I hope I am wrong and I continue to support the team and the coaching staff but I think this season will see a victory over WCU and a tght win over Duke and a “mystery” over some weak ACC team for three wins. Tstan has been a failure in our two most important sports and needs to leave along with Pastner and Collins. I hope for better from all these guys but I don’t think it’s going to happen.
This is a weak position based on external observation without any true appreciation for the job. A little research into the duties and responsibilities of an AD would probably inform your opinion better.

slugboy

Staff member
Were Dave Braine or Mike Bobinski better ADs because Johnson or Hewitt had better records?
I fully understand wanting heads to roll because our records in football have been horrible and this basketball season has been bad. He has made a big bet on Collins turning the team around this year and that could cost him his job.
With basketball coaching turnover this year, I just heard an basketball analyst say that most coaches would need six years to get a a program going. It’s arguable that Stansbury made a lot of the right calls and set up Collins to succeed. Collins has been failing anyway.
When you score a poker player, you score them on their play against the hands they’ve been dealt. Stansbury has had a really limited hand to play
I’d have preferred he put more of a bet on basketball, and said so several years ago. I do understand why he made the plays he made.

We’ll give me your prediction for the season record

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Were Dave Braine or Mike Bobinski better ADs because Johnson or Hewitt had better records?
I fully understand wanting heads to roll because our records in football have been horrible and this basketball season has been bad. He has made a big bet on Collins turning the team around this year and that could cost him his job.
With basketball coaching turnover this year, I just heard an basketball analyst say that most coaches would need six years to get a a program going. It’s arguable that Stansbury made a lot of the right calls and set up Collins to succeed. Collins has been failing anyway.
When you score a poker player, you score them on their play against the hands they’ve been dealt. Stansbury has had a really limited hand to play
I’d have preferred he put more of a bet on basketball, and said so several years ago. I do understand why he made the plays he made.
It’s actually kind of ironic. Despite all the comparisons being made between CGC and B*** L****, the people making these comparisons seem to have the same kind of tunnel vision about only looking at wins and losses that makes it likely to end up with another B*** L**** type of hiring decision. That’s not to say that Colins’ level of success is acceptable or that we might not have had more success hiring someone else, but like in any managerial role, an Athletic Director’s analysis had better be deeper than “This number is bigger than that number.” Anyone who’s graduated elementary school can do that.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fans need to remember that the football change was made largely because some of the big donors wanted to get rid of the 3O and weren't willing to upgrade support for the program unless that change was made. Then whoever was hired had to be someone that the donors who were going to pony up more money for the program for more staff approved of and Collins fit that bill.

The football hiring wasn't a decision made by the AD in a vacuum. It was made with the approval of important big money donors.

Also, the AD's job is not only about hiring the basketball and football coaches - though that is an important piece. TStan's #1 priority when he was hired was fixing the AA balance sheet and improving fundraising.

I also don't think TStan has done anything wrong yet in terms of the BB program. He did not hire Pastner, MBob did. I know some fans wanted TStan to fire Pastner during the whole Bell and DaBarrie debacle's - but to do so would have meant paying his buyout (which GT really couldn't afford to do and hire another coach) as Pastner was not found responsible for any violations that would have triggered firing for cause.

Giving Pastner an extension after the ACC Championship was an easy and correct call. And that was done pretty well where if it went downhill GT could move on in 2-3 years with no big financial hit.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I hope I am wrong and I continue to support the team and the coaching staff but I think this season will see a victory over WCU and a tght win over Duke and a “mystery” over some weak ACC team for three wins. Tstan has been a failure in our two most important sports and needs to leave along with Pastner and Collins. I hope for better from all these guys but I don’t think it’s going to happen.
Wow,almost exactly what my thoughts are on the whole situation. At this point I really wonder who will win more conference games--Fball or Bball? That's not good if you examine both.Scary.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
How the team looks with their play the last half of the season will have a lot in input with the decision making IMO.
I agree because the last half of the season is brutal with 4 of the last 5 games on the road. My guess is the only game in the second half we could be favorite in is VA. I think we will be an underdog to the 4 on the road and Miami at home. I think we need to be 4-2 at the halfway point to have a chance at 6-6. I think in the first half we will only be favored against Western Carolina and Duke since we play Clemson, UCF on the road, Ole Miss and Pittsburgh on the road who seems to have our number.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I agree because the last half of the season is brutal with 4 of the last 5 games on the road. My guess is the only game in the second half we could be favorite in is VA. I think we will be an underdog to the 4 on the road and Miami at home. I think we need to be 4-2 at the halfway point to have a chance at 6-6. I think in the first half we will only be favored against Western Carolina and Duke since we play Clemson, UCF on the road, Ole Miss and Pittsburgh on the road who seems to have our number.
Always thought Narduzzi good coach, maybe under rated somewhat.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Bill Connelly with SP+ has GT at 120 out of 130 FBS teams in terms of returning production.
If GT is going to improve this year it is going to be with new guys, not guys that have played in the past (which I think we knew).
It's going to be a very inexperienced team that GT is putting on the field this fall.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, Bill Connelly with SP+ has GT at 120 out of 130 FBS teams in terms of returning production.
If GT is going to improve this year it is going to be with new guys, not guys that have played in the past (which I think we knew).
It's going to be a very inexperienced team that GT is putting on the field this fall.
I wouldn't discount some improvement from coaching changes. Unfortunately at least one of them retained should be gone too.