2022 Season

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Looking back at the season, I must have missed it as injuries aren't really talked about in College sports but what happened to our Freshman pitcher Eokerholm - was he injured all season?

Another poster indicated he is in the transfer portal now so I'm guessing it wasn't an injury....just a guess. Also wondering about Kristian Campbell. He came in as a highly touted shortstop but I don't think he ever touched the field. Does anyone have any info behind that?
Yes Christian was injured. There was no official DL, so I didn't say anything.
I more than hinted at it and provided updates about it. I will not and can not comment on other players.
That is not my information or story to share.

Situation
  • Christian came in Fall 2021 overthrown and injured.(412 pitches in 4 games in 19days from 3/4-3/23 with minimal ramp up - never recovered; continued to be extremely overused in HS, win awards, but I always worried about his arm. Luckily he didn't pitch over the summer.)
  • He got Covid immediately late August as the pitchers were ramping up for Fall.
  • Quarantined in Hotel, got pretty sick, lost taste & smell, lost 10 lbs had some weird eye pressure issues. Lost a lot of time re-reamping.
  • Didn't feel right in the fall and was behind the eight ball to be able to ramp and throw in Fall ball.
  • 2/3 IP in Fall Scrimmage.
  • Suspected shoulder injury. Non-steroid injections and rest. Got the flu after Thanksgiving, lost some weight again.
  • Rested over XMas. Picked up the ball to Throw. Still hurt. Shut down immediately
  • MR Arthrogram of Shoulder was negative in ATL in early January. (we couldn't get one done in Austin in time)
  • Got Covid again in January. (Luckily didn't get sick or lose weight)
  • Shut down and put on Rest for 9+ weeks.
  • Starting throwing late March and bullpens in April to ramp up for Summer Ball.
  • Weight is back up to 205.
  • He's been back up to 88-89 in the pitching lab (4/27) at GT before leaving Campus 5/6.
  • All non travel guys had to move out and go home for summer.
Yes Christian is in the transfer portal. He went in last week, but D1 didn't update until this weekend.

Thankfully, he will have a Redshirt for his Freshman year.
We are very thankful for the opportunity to come to GT to learn, be part of the team, and work on his craft and make great contacts and friends.

Christian will be playing in the Texas Collegiate League this summer for Lonestar. They've been to the National Baseball Congress World Series for the last few years and came in 2nd last year. NBC is where the next 16 Summer leagues (after Cape Cod and New England League) compete.

Best of luck in the ACC tourney and NCAA Tournament and beyond!
Wish you guys and the Jackets nothing but the best. We are part of the family, part of the swarm.

My family and I very much appreciate your and the coaches' support.

We hope to represent you guys too in this process being Yellow Jacket Family - remaining confident, professional and humble.
There are a few options currently in the mix and we're crossing our fingers more materialize as teams finish seasons, playoffs - when scouts and coaches can come see him pitch.

We might see you guys on the field - all depends on where he lands if in the ACC or at the CWS Tournament if in the SEC or Big 12 or Big 10.

I'm always around and easy to get a hold of.

We're still cheering and supporting you guys!
Go Jackets!

Last edited:

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
From Twitter for your official dates and announcements
1653359759423.png

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I more than hinted at it and provided updates about it. I will not and can not comment on other players.

Situation
  • Christian came in Fall 2021 overthrown and injured.(412 pitches in 4 games in 19days from 3/4-3/23 with minimal ramp up - never recovered; continued to be extremely overused in HS, win awards, but I always worried about his arm. Luckily he didn't pitch over the summer.)
  • He got Covid immediately late August as the pitchers were ramping up for Fall.
  • Quarantined in Hotel, got pretty sick, lost taste & smell, lost 10 lbs had some weird eye pressure issues. Lost a lot of time re-reamping.
  • Didn't feel right in the fall and was behind the eight ball to be able to ramp and throw in Fall ball.
  • Suspected shoulder injury. Non-steroid injections and rest. Got the flu after Thanksgiving, lost some weight again.
  • Rested over XMas. Picked up the ball to Throw. Still hurt. Shut down immediately
  • MR Arthrogram of Shoulder was negative in ATL in early January. (we couldn't get one done in Austin in time)
  • Starting throwing late March and bullpens in April to ramp up for Summer Ball.
  • He's been back up to 88-89 in the pitching lab (4/27) at GT before leaving Campus 5/6.
Yes Christian is in the transfer portal. He went in last week, but D1 didn't update until this weekend.

We are very thankful for the opportunity to come to GT to learn, be part of the team, and work on his craft and make great contacts and friends.

Christian will be playing in the Texas Collegiate League this summer for Lonestar. They've been to the National Baseball Congress World Series for the last few years and came in 2nd last year. NBC is where the next 16 Summer leagues (after Cape Cod and New England League) compete.

Wish you guys and the Jackets nothing but the best. We are part of the family, part of the swarm.

We hope to represent you guys too in this process being Yellow Jacket Family - remaining confident, professional and humble.
There are a few options currently in the mix and we're crossing our fingers more materialize as teams finish seasons, playoffs - when scouts and coaches can come see him pitch.

We might see you guys on the field - all depends on where he lands if in the ACC or at the CWS Tournament if in the SEC or Big 12 or Big 10.

Go Jackets!

Both you and your son will be missed. You guys should sue whoever had him throw 412 pitches in 19 days. As I noted on a previous post, I always appreciated the input/info you provided on this board. Being the father of a former athlete I could always appreciate the pride and enthusiasm in your posts not just about your son but also the team. I'm sorry we never got the chance to see Christian take the mound for the Jackets but will be looking forward to seeing what we missed wherever he ends up (as long as it isn't Athens). Please do us the favor of updating us on his landing spot so we can follow his progress.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Situation

Go Jackets!

You guys are nothing but class. Thank you for sharing. I really hope Christian does well this summer and wherever he ends up. He has too much talent to not end up at a good program. And the great thing about college baseball is that you can get drafted from anywhere when you put up the stats.

COVID is a *****. It affects different people different ways and sad that Christian got it bad. You don't get to choose the cards dealt and I know that he will be just fine. Like others here, we'll be following. Can't wait to see the story get populated here: https://www.thebaseballcube.com/page.asp?PT=player&ID=239612

This is the right way to comment IMHO on a players status - where the player or parents put out the actual story at their time of choosing. Even though the players are doing a public thing, they do deserve some privacy.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow

Situation

Go Jackets!

Very sorry to hear of the struggles he had with his health this year. Hate that it didn't work out at Tech for him. I appreciate all the insight you passed along on this board for the past couple of years. Agree with others, please keep us updated on his progress and good luck to both of you wherever he winds up.

slugboy

Staff member

Situation

Go Jackets!

Best of luck to your son.
I’m shaking my head at what Christian had to go through. A normal freshman year is enough of a shock, much less with double COVID and a sport and an injury

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Thank you so much for informing us about what your son went through, eokerholm.

I cringed — and almost cried — after reading it. What an ordeal Christian went through.

But it sounds like he is now on the road toward full health, and strength. I’m also sure the ordeal will make him stronger mentally, as well.

I sincerely wish him nothing but the very best in everything he attempts in the future.

Thank you also, Mr. Eokerholm, for all of your posts on the GT Swarm Baseball board over the past season. Your posts were always very supportive of the team and the program, and informative, enlightening —and at times entertaining! — as well. Thank you for showing us all what a great Georgia Tech fan board member you have been! 👍

And please don’t be a stranger! Please come on back here whenever you want to, opine about any college baseball subject you’d like to share — and please do keep us updated on how your son Christian is doing, as he faces the big game of life ahead.

Take care, and all my best,
GT Rambler

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't follow the baseball program as intimately as I do our basketball and football programs, and I know a LOT of GT baseball fans are unhappy about Hall's recent record in the postseason. One thing I just wanted to add is this: If you look at our football and basketball programs, be careful what you ask for. Hall has been one of the best men's coaches at GT during his time here, and really the only other men's coach that can consistently compete with Hall's success is our golf program's Bruce Heppler.

I get that we all want College World Series appearances, and we've had the talent to at least get to Super Regionals, but we also have to be careful and understand that good coaching is hard to come by...as we're seeing with our basketball and football programs. GT is not a school that's plug and play for coaches like most other schools. Anyone who follows Hall will have BIG shoes to fill...not every coach will be up to the task.

I think there are some tweaks needed for this staff. There is arm talent on this roster, that talent needs to be developed. I don't think pitching development is equal to the pitching talent we've recruited and signed. Defensive fielding needs to be improved. There is ZERO reason GT should rank in the lower half of the NCAA in fielding percentage.

Those are the two glaring issues with Hall's staff right now. If we can get pitching and fielding fixed, I think this program can be a top 3 program in the ACC and possibly get past the Regional rounds consistently. The talent is there, now Hall just needs to make some tough decisions on his staff so we can maximize the talent GT signs.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't follow the baseball program as intimately as I do our basketball and football programs, and I know a LOT of GT baseball fans are unhappy about Hall's recent record in the postseason. One thing I just wanted to add is this: If you look at our football and basketball programs, be careful what you ask for. Hall has been one of the best men's coaches at GT during his time here, and really the only other men's coach that can consistently compete with Hall's success is our golf program's Bruce Heppler.

I get that we all want College World Series appearances, and we've had the talent to at least get to Super Regionals, but we also have to be careful and understand that good coaching is hard to come by...as we're seeing with our basketball and football programs. GT is not a school that's plug and play for coaches like most other schools. Anyone who follows Hall will have BIG shoes to fill...not every coach will be up to the task.

I think there are some tweaks needed for this staff. There is arm talent on this roster, that talent needs to be developed. I don't think pitching development is equal to the pitching talent we've recruited and signed. Defensive fielding needs to be improved. There is ZERO reason GT should rank in the lower half of the NCAA in fielding percentage.

Those are the two glaring issues with Hall's staff right now. If we can get pitching and fielding fixed, I think this program can be a top 3 program in the ACC and possibly get past the Regional rounds consistently. The talent is there, now Hall just needs to make some tough decisions on his staff so we can maximize the talent GT signs.
I hear you but GT baseball is plug and play for coaches. It was when Hall got here and it will be when he leaves. We always talk about the amount of football talent in this state yet there is far more baseball talent and the pool of players is way deeper. So the school dynamics concerning football and hoops are not much of a factor for baseball when it comes to getting players. Hall has had 29 seasons at GT. He has had his chance and was never short changed or hamstrung by the school like football and hoops have been. The next coach will step in and continue the program. I believe if another coach had been given a chance over the past 20 years that GT baseball would be at a higher level than a mid pack ACC school. But we’ll never know.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I hear you but GT baseball is plug and play for coaches. It was when Hall got here and it will be when he leaves. We always talk about the amount of football talent in this state yet there is far more baseball talent and the pool of players is way deeper. So the school dynamics concerning football and hoops are not much of a factor for baseball when it comes to getting players. Hall has had 29 seasons at GT. He has had his chance and was never short changed or hamstrung by the school like football and hoops have been. The next coach will step in and continue the program. I believe if another coach had been given a chance over the past 20 years that GT baseball would be at a higher level than a mid pack ACC school. But we’ll never know.
I'm sorry I just don't buy this and really never have. It sounds to me like some good ol' boy Georgia homerism. I think Georgia high school baseball talent is overrated and I've said so before. There's been two teams from Georgia to reach the Supers in the last 15 years. If the state has as much talent as some say you'd think it'd happen a little more often. Maybe it was true ~20 years ago but times have changed. That's not to say the talent is bad. It's just not other worldly to the point it should automatically elevate a Georgia program.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson probably thought the same re: coaches. Morris had built Tech up but he couldn't get over the hump. That 93 team was loaded too and probably should have made the CWS. Hall has made it over the hump but now we've backed off a bit. It's been pointed out here statistically that regionals and supers have a modicum of luck built in, and it seems like a lot of it hasn't gone our way. That means (to me) we're due at some point.

I really think no representation on the selection committee seriously did us wrong this year. I don't believe we belonged in that regional, and I also believe that ND should have been a host (that would have probably shifted us a little on its own). No matter, this year is in the books for us.

I also believe that next year is the year we start seeing returns from the pitching lab. I believe it takes time to make the adjustments, for the players to make the mental & physical adjustments necessary to make it actually work. @eokerholm would be the right person to give that sort of feedback however, I don't know for certain.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Hall has been one of the best men's coaches at GT during his time here, and really the only other men's coach that can consistently compete with Hall's success is our golf program's Bruce Heppler.
You cannot compare Heppler to Hall. Heppler's teams successes in post season are far better. Heppler's teams are consistently in the Top 10 and ACC champions.

Also, if you look at a graph of GT baseball season wins from 1993 to 2022, you will see why there is noise. Hall's teams are consistently Top 17 to 50.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You cannot compare Heppler to Hall. Heppler's teams successes in post season are far better. Heppler's teams are consistently in the Top 10 and ACC champions.

Also, if you look at a graph of GT baseball season wins from 1993 to 2022, you will see why there is noise. Hall's teams are consistently Top 17 to 50.

You totally missed the point of that statement. It wasn't saying Hall was Heppler's equal, it was saying Heppler is the only men's coach at GT that comes close to what Hall is doing.

Yes, I get we're all disappointed, especially with the talent GT has been getting. Postseason results (including ACC tournaments as well as NCAAs) should have been more fruitful. This situation reminds me a LOT of Herb Sendek's time as NC State's basketball coach. For his last 5 years, he made the NCAA tournament only getting past the second round once. NC State fans and donors pushed him out. After Sendek left, they were able to go to the Sweet 16 gain twice under Mark Gottfried, and Gottfried had a run of 5 years with NCAA tournaments (never getting past the second round outside of those Sweet 16 appearances), but success has been few and far between the past 17 years Sendek has been gone.

I'm not saying GT can't do better than Hall, I'm just saying be careful what you ask for.