2022 Season

dadair6

Georgia Tech Fan
Reports would be appreciated. We sure don't get much info otherwise.

But on the bright side, this is the first time I remember this being done. So a great step forward.
The scrimmage was open to the public. They ended up only playing 6 innings, each side threw three pitchers. One nice aspect is they had their version of statcast on the scoreboard so we could see pitch speed, spin rate and movement up/down and left/right plus on the hits the speed off the bat and distance. The pitchers were Siegel, McNamee and Mannelly for one side and Hill, Medich and McGuire for the other.

Siegel had a solid first, but struggled in the second, fastball sat 84-86, he primarily threw offspeed. Hill was the opposite, struggled in the first but was better in the second. Fastball sat 86-88 and touched 90 a few times. McNamee and Medich were next up, McNamee was 84-90, the two pitches he touched 90 were hit to the track, and wind in from L/LC was all that kept them in the park. Medich was 88-92 consistently with his curve 2500+. For me the most impressive was Mannelly, 88-92 with his fastball 2500+ and curve averaging 2800 with a number of pitches over 2900. McGuire, a 6-3 180 freshmen wasn’t sharp, but not bad.

At the plate, Parada and Geisler led the way, both with a HR. Geisler’s was 379’ and 105mph off the bat, he also had a sharp single. Parada’s was 341’ and 101, he also had a fly out to the CF wall at 389’ and 105. DeLeo, Anderson and Borden each had doubles.

They have another scrimmage tomorrow (2/6) at 2pm.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The scrimmage was open to the public. They ended up only playing 6 innings, each side threw three pitchers. One nice aspect is they had their version of statcast on the scoreboard so we could see pitch speed, spin rate and movement up/down and left/right plus on the hits the speed off the bat and distance. The pitchers were Siegel, McNamee and Mannelly for one side and Hill, Medich and McGuire for the other.

Siegel had a solid first, but struggled in the second, fastball sat 84-86, he primarily threw offspeed. Hill was the opposite, struggled in the first but was better in the second. Fastball sat 86-88 and touched 90 a few times. McNamee and Medich were next up, McNamee was 84-90, the two pitches he touched 90 were hit to the track, and wind in from L/LC was all that kept them in the park. Medich was 88-92 consistently with his curve 2500+. For me the most impressive was Mannelly, 88-92 with his fastball 2500+ and curve averaging 2800 with a number of pitches over 2900. McGuire, a 6-3 180 freshmen wasn’t sharp, but not bad.

At the plate, Parada and Geisler led the way, both with a HR. Geisler’s was 379’ and 105mph off the bat, he also had a sharp single. Parada’s was 341’ and 101, he also had a fly out to the CF wall at 389’ and 105. DeLeo, Anderson and Borden each had doubles.

Thanks for this!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Thanks!

How did the D look? Who was in the infield? I'd guess same starters as played in fall games where we generally went two deep.

dadair6

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks!

How did the D look? Who was in the infield? I'd guess same starters as played in fall games where we generally went two deep.
The infield didn’t have many plays, a couple routine ground balls, one error on the SS (can’t remember which one, they rotated) who made a poor throw to first. Compton hit a sinking laser to 2nd that short hopped and got through for a single. In my notes I called it a 1B, but could have been charged as an error, it was borderline.

The OF was the busier of the two, Hall and the other CF made a number of plays at the warning track and wall. There were many hard hit balls for outs.

Have to confess, I have new contacts and seeing the small numbers on the front of jerseys is tough, especially the outfielders. :)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

How do you find out about this kind of stuff? I happened to be up in Atlanta and would have stopped by to watch if I knew it was happening.

Getting info on GT baseball is tough. As @dadair6 said, Twitter is the most current. This type of thing should have been on RamblinWreck, but kudos to Ramsey for getting it out.

I also check beesball.com since they pull together a lot of GT baseball related stuff. They had the Ramsey tweet.

And check here on GTSwarm, but there is lot of chaff (I) put out with the wheat.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
I heard a lot of hard hit balls, good defense and aggressive base running this past weekend. Hopefully we run a lot more this year as it puts a whole lot of pressure on opposing pitching and defense.
After watching the impact Bradfield had at Vandy, I'm really excited to see what Simpson can do. I think Tres & DeLeo are supposed to be pretty quick as well.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
<= where is the jealous button. Enjoy the trip! Dress warmly
Why, what have you heard? I'm seeing near 60, low near 40. Chance of rain Friday and Saturday. Although they may change that tomorrow... May bring my shorts. Better than the 18 we had here Monday night. I still have an inch or 2 of ice on my driveway because I don't want to expend the energy to try to remove it.

702🔜404

Georgia Tech Fan
Article on pitching from Rivals (subscription required)
EC1BD046-967D-43F6-81A8-9AEBEBBDFD2B.jpeg