2022 Schedule??

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Come on man. don't sprinkle in truth to the haters!
In 5 of the 12 games last season GT had less than a 10% chance of winning the game entering the 4th Quarter.
The idea that we were competitive with everyone is somewhat overplayed.
In only 4 games was GT winning percentage entering the 4th quarter above 50% (NIU, UNC, Duke, KSU). In a 5th game GT was just below 50% (Miami).

JacketFan137

Banned
In 5 of the 12 games last season GT had less than a 10% chance of winning the game entering the 4th Quarter.
In only 4 games was GT winning percentage entering the 4th quarter above 50% (NIU, UNC, Duke, KSU). In a 5th game GT was just below 50% (Miami).
using espn probability isn’t really a valid point because that uses predetermined data that ignores the actual game going on and is sprinkled in with vegas odds going into the game. that entire article is trash and a better measuring stick would have been taking vegas odds but i doubt anyone has access to live vegas odds for the whole games. for example clemson was given a 95% chance of winning at kickoff when clearly that wasn’t the case

the games were competitive and the final score illustrates that. also if anything the less than 50% odds stat shows me that the team didn’t get mentally defeated and the players still played hard and rallied.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We’ve already had this exact argument in a different thread, and what you’re saying is incredibly disingenuous regarding the outcome and the flow of those games. “Win probablibility” is also an incredibly flawed metric when looking at the competitiveness of games.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
yeah again, i think there must have been some delusional optimism involved if they genuinely thought we had a chance against uga and clemson most years. once venables came our time beating clemson was basically done aside from deshaun watson tearing his ACL and us being gifted two pick 6s by the backup, and aside from year 1 kirby uga was a bloodbath each year. seems like people are bending the truth to me to act like they expected different outcomes. i think they’ve gone too far the other way in regards to some of our acc opponents who we’ve played close.

and i agree i think collins has to find a way to get us to 2-2 going into week 5 somehow. clemson, ole miss and ucf are winnable games with so much staff turnover at clemson and the moving parts on those other teams.
Ok, I had delusional optimism. I would like it back please.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
using espn probability isn’t really a valid point because that uses predetermined data that ignores the actual game going on and is sprinkled in with vegas odds going into the game. that entire article is trash and a better measuring stick would have been taking vegas odds but i doubt anyone has access to live vegas odds for the whole games. for example clemson was given a 95% chance of winning at kickoff when clearly that wasn’t the case

the games were competitive and the final score illustrates that. also if anything the less than 50% odds stat shows me that the team didn’t get mentally defeated and the players still played hard and rallied.
We scored 6 points in the 4th quarter in our last 5 games combined. In four of those games we didn't score on offense at all in the 4th quarter. Not sure I would say we rallied much.

JacketFan137

Banned
We scored 6 points in the 4th quarter in our last 5 games combined. In four of those games we didn't score on offense at all in the 4th quarter. Not sure I would say we rallied much.
still had chances to make them games. you’re also bringing up 3 games with our back up qb. 2 of which literally no one argued were competitive and are entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

you’re also ignoring the defensive efforts made to make stops down the stretch in some games that gave us an opportunity to make some of them games

ultimately we lost and i’m not trying to create morale victories i need to be very clear lol but to act like we weren’t competitive is starting to show some of yalls true colors and i don’t think you’re gonna ever be satisfied

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Every college season takes on a life of its own that’s why i don’t care for making definitive predictions.

Biggest thing that could be in GT favor is the turnover at coordinators & QBs in the Coastal/OOC

Clemson - New OC Brandon Streeter & DC Wes Goodwin

Ole Miss - New OC Charlie Weiss Jr & New Co-DC Chris Kiffin New QB

UCF- new OC Chip Lindsey New QB

Pitt - New OC Frank Cignetti New QB

Duke- both

UVA - new OC Des Kitchings

UNC- New QB

MIAMI- New OC TBD
If one of those OCs at other schools was Patenaude, I might buy into your optimism

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
still had chances to make them games. you’re also bringing up 3 games with our back up qb. 2 of which literally no one argued were competitive and are entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

you’re also ignoring the defensive efforts made to make stops down the stretch in some games that gave us an opportunity to make some of them games

ultimately we lost and i’m not trying to create morale victories i need to be very clear lol but to act like we weren’t competitive is starting to show some of yalls true colors and i don’t think you’re gonna ever be satisfied
Im just saying that objectively speaking, were weren't a rallying team at all. Frankly we were a disaster in the 4th quarter this year and yes, im not going to be satisfied unless we start winning games.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
right now in vegas tech is projected 5 wins

going through our schedule and looking at their projections:

clemson: 11.5
georgia: 10.5
pitt: 7
ucf: 9.5
ole miss: 7.5
vt: 7
fsu: 5.5
duke: 3
miami: 9.5
unc: 10
uva: 6

couple take aways:

idk why everyone is acting like pitt is that big of a deal. they’re not bad but even vegas who is objective doesn’t have them as some unbeatable force. a first round qb is a large part of why they were so good and please don’t pretend like slovis is close to pickett

miami and unc getting preseason hype from vegas. i’m hammering that under those teams haven’t met expectations ever lol

ucf i predict isn’t as good as ole miss but ole miss’ schedule features @LSU, Bama, @tamu. could be a very tough 7-5 team end of season.

i don’t see ucf as unbeatable even with 9.5 projection. they play a lot of winnable games vs schools like ecu, usf etc. will be tough but again this isn’t impossible

duke, fsu, uva are games that are must win. vegas doesn’t like these teams and 2/3 are at home.

we were 4.5 last year as they probably had UNI and BC as wins (surprise surprise our starting qb didn’t play the full games) so i would say 5 wins is possibly accurate. if we can win 1 game we aren’t supposed to out of clemson, UCF, ole miss, i think we could set ourselves up pretty well to make a bowl

the three win crowd has justification i guess considering previous results (even though 2020 isn’t comparable to 19 or 21), but i think on paper we could find the 6 wins
I believe Miami will be our 3rd toughest. But I'm not sold on UCF or UNC.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
idk what it’s gonna take to get it back then cause you were borderline heaven’s gate kool aid sipping

was the biggest paul johnson defender ever and deep down i knew those were gonna be some rough weeks
You were smarter than me. And apparently smarter than everyone else on this thread.

But let’s take CPJ out of this. I felt the same during Curry’s worst seasons. There was a disciplined hard-nosed organization to the team that made you feel like any given Saturday they might put it all together. I still remember the year we won only one game against the toughest opponent on our schedule -Alabama.

So, yeah, I’m a kool aid drinker for sure. Most good fans are to some degree. The last 3 years have dashed all my delusions. Thank you for your understanding.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
2015: down 40-10 against clemson before dabo emptied the bench

2016: clemson held us to 124 yards of offense and we didn’t cross the 50 until the second half

2017: lost to uga 38-7

2018: lost to uga 45-21 with two of those TDs coming LATE, got thrashed in our bowl game

2019: lost to uga 52-7

2020: clemson 73-7

2021: uga again

so yes actually we have had a REALLY bad loss each of the last 7 years. don’t see how that’s completely wrong my man

We may have had some bad losses in those 7 years, but until 2019 we had a chance in every game to be in it. We never went into a game Knowing We were going to lose. We regularly do that now.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We may have had some bad losses in those 7 years, but until 2019 we had a chance in every game to be in it. We never went into a game Knowing We were going to lose. We regularly do that now.
Well, I felt that way too but I’ve been told I was deluded and drinking the kool aid.

JacketFan137

Banned
you guys can act like that but we’ve been double digit dogs even at home almost every year vs at least one of clemson and uga since like 2015 and there’s even some pretty bad losses like 2012 gt, 2013 byu in there

maybe it’s cause i’m just a degenerate sports gambler that pays a lot of attention to scores and spreads and advanced stats in general but no one who kept up with college football and had a reasonable understanding of football gave us a chance in any of those games.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Well, I felt that way too but I’ve been told I was deluded and drinking the kool aid.
You were once Clemson and Georgia started playing for NCs. College football isn’t what it was. Hope we have a chance going into those games in the future, however it’s more about those two teams having a bad year/game as Clemson did against us last year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
But the question for me, which is still the same and has not been seriously answered yet, is when the average Tech fan used to feel hopeful about Tech’s chances on the field, and now the average fan feels no hope, how do we return that hope, even if it is somewhat delusional?

A football program without hope is a program that will be dead unless something changes.