2022 MLB Draft

Squints

Helluva Engineer
That's what the Twins thought when they came late to Vertek's deadline. The next year he and the Jackets made it to the championship game and Veritek went higher.

That's ancient history at this point. Players don't have leverage like that anymore. There was no bonus pool cap or slot values tied to picks and the deadline to sign was an entire year after the draft (RIP the draft and follow). The MLB draft is a totally different animal now then it was back then. If you draft someone in the top 10 rounds and not sign them you lose the slotted value of that pick from their bonus pool which can screw up your entire draft class. That didn't happen 30 years ago. These days a team isn't going to draft someone in the top 10 rounds unless they are confident that they can sign them.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
This is why I was surprised when CDH decided to stay/take an extension. With both of his sons gone, plus, looking like a rebuild, I thought that he might choose to ride of into the sunset.
It seems to me that we lose about that many players to either graduation or the draft most years. Obviously not that many in the first ten rounds. This past year was an anomoly. We had almost the whole team back. But keep in mind we only had four position players drafted (plus our centerfielder who graduated). Maybe someone with a better memory than me can back it up with data, but it feels like we lose four position players most years but through recruiting and the talent we have on the bench we don't seem to fall off into "rebuild year" very often. And the fifth position player was someone that many on here didn't think should be starting to begin with.

Last edited:

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
So while we are thinking about who we are losing let's take a look at who the possible replacements will be. At first base I think it will be Sabbathia if he is as good as advertised. At second it will probably be Borden coming back to improve his draft stock. At short we have several options starting with Jackson coming back or Kristian Campbell or one of the highly rated recruits. At third I think Compton will be back like Borden to improve his draft position. At catcher will Rubenstein be returning? In the outfield we should have Deleo and Reid back, Plus it looks like one of our top recruits Riley Stanford will be on campus. And don't forget we have guys like Romano and Giesler coming back who both looked good at times. I hardly think pitching could be much worse than it was this past year. We have a lot of young talent already plus more recruits that could be a pleasant surprise. Yeah we lost a lot of talent but the cupboard is hardly bare. I don't think we will have a rebuild year. So what do the rest of you think our lineup will be next year.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
And don't forget they have to squeeze into a dress size of "35"..... so might not see as many back or on the bench you're thinking will be.....

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Marquis to the nationals. So yes the pitching may have gotten worse.
That one really surprises me, but I think he'll be back. He's just a sophomore and could easily go in the first 5 rounds next year if he improves on his command. If he had a similar year to this year, he would still get drafted around the same round and get the same signing bonus imo. He can only improve his stock by coming back.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
And don't forget they have to squeeze into a dress size of "35"..... so might not see as many back or on the bench you're thinking will be.....
Maybe not, on the 35...

For the ’23 season, the NCAA is allowing programs to have a roster size anywhere from 35-40, but there are major caveats. For instance, any student athlete beyond 35 would have had to lose their season to COVID back in 2020. Furthermore, teams will be allowed to have anywhere from 27-32 players on scholarship. However, anyone in the 28-32 range will have the same caveat as above — they will have had to lose their 2020 season to COVID. This mostly only would apply to super seniors on the roster next season. Additionally, those players who count as extra roster spots and counters would count against a team’s 11.7 and would be required to have 25 percent of a scholarship.

Dicey...

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Again no drafted player is coming back. And by the way the players absolutely know what the team will look like next year and I’m not surprised guys we’re looking to get out.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Again no drafted player is coming back. And by the way the players absolutely know what the team will look like next year and I’m not surprised guys we’re looking to get out.

I guess next year he can play the we’re young card since he didn’t have any great excuses this year.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing to keep in mind with these player departures, Perfect Game has us as the #7 recruiting class and it looks all but one (maybe 2) are coming including the top 3-4 ranked recruits. At some point your good recruits have to play. It might be a step back next year but 2024 could have a lot of good returning players.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
That was a sixty round draft how many years ago? Bad example..in a 20 round draft these teams don’t speculate as to whether they just lost a pick for someone who won’t sign. Rocker was a disagreement over the medicals after the draft. It’s done if your drafted you already agreed to sign.

I don't think that's as clear as you make it sound after round 10. A 11-20th round draft pick really isn't worth much at all and I'd bet some teams take some flyers or back up plans if something comes up on their earlier picks. You're mostly looking at organizational depth guys at that point. It'll happen less since they're not going to 40 rounds anymore but it will still happen.