2022 MLB Draft

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What if at the end of tomorrow three to four more of our starters are selected? It would not be good for the program.
Eligible players who have more eligibility who can be day three draft guys: Compton Reid Grissom DeLeo Finley Borden Rubinstein Bartnicki

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
they were saying on MLB Network... if you're taken in the 1st 10 rounds, you probably sign.....
That's what the Twins thought when they came late to Vertek's deadline. The next year he and the Jackets made it to the championship game and Veritek went higher.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That's what the Twins thought when they came late to Vertek's deadline. The next year he and the Jackets made it to the championship game and Veritek went higher.
That was a sixty round draft how many years ago? Bad example..in a 20 round draft these teams don’t speculate as to whether they just lost a pick for someone who won’t sign. Rocker was a disagreement over the medicals after the draft. It’s done if your drafted you already agreed to sign.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Anybody picked tomorrow is capped at $125,000 signing bonus. With Borden, Compton, Grissom, Reid, Deleo all having 2 more years of eligibility (not to mention all the incoming recruits except for King), it would be very surprising to me to see them sign instead of trying to move into the top 10 rounds next year when they still will have some leverage.

I feel like Maxwell and Jenkins are gone. However, they don't have to feel the pressure to take a low signing bonus since they also have 2 years of eligibility. I could see both of them moving into higher rounds next year if they wanted to come back.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Anybody picked tomorrow is capped at $125,000 signing bonus. With Borden, Compton, Grissom, Reid, Deleo all having 2 more years of eligibility (not to mention all the incoming recruits except for King), it would be very surprising to me to see them sign instead of trying to move into the top 10 rounds next year when they still will have some leverage.

I feel like Maxwell and Jenkins are gone. However, they don't have to feel the pressure to take a low signing bonus since they also have 2 years of eligibility. I could see both of them moving into higher rounds next year if they wanted to come back.
Ok draft 101 it’s not capped at 125 if the team can pay they can pay less of the slot value as long as their aggregate expenditures don’t exceed their bonus pool amounts. Some teams save millions in the first ten rounds and spend the same in the last ten. So the day three guys can certainly make more than 125. Lastly, and again, the guys who have been drafted have already agreed on an amount of money to sign for. It’s over for Maxwell and Jenkins so stop saying they can come back and improve their draft stock. If you need data go look at last year’s mlb draft tracker which will illustrate the slot value and actual amount the player signed for.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow

Agreed. But on a good note, at this point it is virtually all college players being selected. The high profile HS players who are going to sign are already chosen. I would bet Stanford, Samol, etc are not signing for the minimum and will make it to campus.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ok draft 101 it’s not capped at 125 if the team can pay they can pay less of the slot value as long as their aggregate expenditures don’t exceed their bonus pool amounts. Some teams save millions in the first ten rounds and spend the same in the last ten. So the day three guys can certainly make more than 125. Lastly, and again, the guys who have been drafted have already agreed on an amount of money to sign for. It’s over for Maxwell and Jenkins so stop saying they can come back and improve their draft stock. If you need data go look at last year’s mlb draft tracker which will illustrate the slot value and actual amount the player signed for.

Sorry I can't make my kindle edit:
Very few got much over $250K after round 10. Last year. The Angels had 2 over a million. But definitely an outlier. And some got $5K.

As I said before, signing looks like it needs to happen by August 1. So we'll see pretty quick.

I counted 4 in the top 10 rounds (312) who didn't sign last year.

Last edited:

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry, you are correct, I should have explained more about the cap of $125,000. The data above shows very few last year in rounds 11-20 got more than 125K. My point is that those mentioned all should have real expectations of top 10 rounds next year and a good bit over the 125K.

Like I said, I figure Maxwell and Jenkins are gone. That's the first time I've made a comment about those 2 coming back. I won't bring it up again. My point was really that those 2 seemed to be drafted quite a bit below projections (especially Jenkins) so if ever there was someone in the top 10 that might come back, those fit the bill. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling the top 10 this year may have more than usual of people declining to sign given that 3rd year college players all have 2 years of eligibility left, rather than the usual 1.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
If teams are saving millions of dollars in the first 10 rounds, their management and/or scouting department are not doing their jobs. Yes, teams can save hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe a million, on their first or second round draft picks to spend on someone they've drafted in the third or fourth rounds that slipped because other teams consider them tough signs. Teams mostly save a lot of money to sign other players over draft slot in rounds 4 through 10 by drafting college seniors. Most of that saved money will go to sign picks in rounds 1 through 3 or 4. Not rounds 10+. Underdrafting in the first 3 rounds to spend money on a player in rounds 10+, perhaps 5+ these days, is a losing organization's way of doing business.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
This is all consistent with my personal data points in recent years also. Kids in the top 10 rounds or so have already had a handshake type agreement on money (inclusive of potential sponsorships) right before they get drafted by any given team. This obviously reduces risk for the teams. So it's now a rarity for a kid who is drafted not to sign - particularly in the top 10 rounds. All GT players selected in the top 10 rounds will sign --- 95+% chance anyway...

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
That was a sixty round draft how many years ago? Bad example..in a 20 round draft these teams don’t speculate as to whether they just lost a pick for someone who won’t sign. Rocker was a disagreement over the medicals after the draft. It’s done if your drafted you already agreed to sign.
You are aware that he was their 1st round pick, right?

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
What if at the end of tomorrow three to four more of our starters are selected? It would not be good for the program.
Eligible players who have more eligibility who can be day three draft guys: Compton Reid Grissom DeLeo Finley Borden Rubinstein Bartnicki
At least 4 of those 7 have zero chance of being drafted. And a fifth one is very unlikely.

Beeski

Georgia Tech Fan
The other side of the equation for players decision calculus about gong pro; the starting salary for a Management grad with a BS is $57,700.
Going off to play ball.....with the intention of going back to finish your degree.....doesn't always work out.
Staying in school while the momentum is strong toward finishing can / will pay off big time down the road.
Pro Baseball careers don't always pan out, and usually don't last that long.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I'm guessing but I would bet they got Rocker for a discount say $5-6M and not the $7.6M for slot. He SHOT up the draft board going 3rd, when they thought he'd be 20-40.
That $1-2.6M can go a long way to over slot someone lower.

Each situation and family situation is different. I just don't see many HS kids going for $500K, but again to each their own.
Guess GT was smart to bring in 2 Catchers in 22 class after all.

Does Jack have a year left after 4 years at Emory and 1 year at GT? Did he have a medical in there? Does 6 games in 21 give him a medical? He wasn't listed as RS JR but as a Senior. (Covid)

Great year to be a college player