2022 MLB Draft

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
No fascination. Christian played with and hung with him on East Cobb. Great kid. I’ve stated way before he isn’t committing to a college. Thought it was odd he was part of this weekend and just stating the obvious.
It’s all good ive heard nothing but good things about this young man. Guess I would rather focus on the guys that are here and are coming. Harry Ford was a nice kid as well but it was never worth much of a discussion. Just my opinion in light of the fact he is going to be the high school poster player for the 2022 draft.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Duke Baseball was excited on their twitter page about the three players they had listed on the 2020 PG Draft List. Anyone know if any other school(s) had seven or more players currently on their roster on the list?

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
slot values if same as 21
1639585399993.png

Don't see Compton or Jenkins (stud!) and heard JP Wheat ('22) would go if drafted.
Don't see Cort, Huff, or Bartnicki, etc.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The 2021 draft had 20 rounds and 612 total selections. The 2022 draft looks like it may be back to 40 rounds ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Major_League_Baseball_draft#Draft_selections )

Given the reduced 2021 draft and the extra COVID year, I think the talent available across colleges is much higher than it has been in previous years. So I have a hard time seeing 10 or more GT players getting drafted as the recent D1 article speculated, but that's only based on experience.

Since 2020, 120 GT players have been drafted. That's an average of 5.5 over those 22 years (and a std dev of 2.7 so the data obviously isn't normal). There have been 3 years where we had 10; 2004 record of 44-21 lost in Atlanta Super Regional , 2007 record of 32-25 didn't make NCAAs and 2010 record of 47-15 lost in Atlanta Regional. So draft talent hasn't correlated with post season success; hope this year is different.

1639924308706.png
1639924916902.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The 2021 draft had 20 rounds and 612 total selections. The 2022 draft looks like it may be back to 40 rounds ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Major_League_Baseball_draft#Draft_selections )

Given the reduced 2021 draft and the extra COVID year, I think the talent available across colleges is much higher than it has been in previous years. So I have a hard time seeing 10 or more GT players getting drafted as the recent D1 article speculated, but that's only based on experience.

Since 2020, 120 GT players have been drafted. That's an average of 5.5 over those 22 years (and a std dev of 2.7 so the data obviously isn't normal). There have been 3 years where we had 10; 2004 record of 44-21 lost in Atlanta Super Regional , 2007 record of 32-25 didn't make NCAAs and 2010 record of 47-15 lost in Atlanta Regional. So draft talent hasn't correlated with post season success; hope this year is different.

View attachment 11832View attachment 11833
Correlation to success? Without looking... I'm willing to bet GaTech has a significant imbalance between position players & pitchers drafted.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Correlation to success? Without looking... I'm willing to bet GaTech has a significant imbalance between position players & pitchers drafted.

That and our pitchers who are drafted often seem to come on late in their drafted year.

The hard thing about looking at position players drafted is one would have to look at the entire draft. I would think it's pitcher heavy given the number of specialty pitchers and longevity of pitchers in the MLB. But that's a guess absent stats. I've learned that my guesses aren't supported by the facts, like my recent guess on past defensive results that I checked.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

That and our pitchers who are drafted often seem to come on late in their drafted year.

The hard thing about looking at position players drafted is one would have to look at the entire draft. I would think it's pitcher heavy given the number of specialty pitchers and longevity of pitchers in the MLB. But that's a guess absent stats. I've learned that my guesses aren't supported by the facts, like my recent guess on past defensive results that I checked.
Also... I don't want leave impression I believe the program isn't "successful" ... by my definition, Ga Tech has sustained success in baseball over last 40ish years.