2022 ACC Baseball

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If my calculations are correct...
Up to 4th in Coastal.. 2nd place within ONE win.
Tied for 7th overall in ACC (3 ways).. 2nd place within ONE win.

Entered tonight 10th in conference and 5th in Coastal. Every win matters.
A little misleading to say "within X wins". All that matters is winning %. And this year has already seen some cancelations. For example, VT will stay ahead of GT if they match our win total by virtue of playing fewer games.

Things are tight in the standings for sure. After Miami... 9 teams in the .500 to .625 range on win %. Only one of those (Lou) is above .600.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
A little misleading to say "within X wins". All that matters is winning %. And this year has already seen some cancelations. For example, VT will stay ahead of GT if they match our win total by virtue of playing fewer games.

Things are tight in the standings for sure. After Miami... 9 teams in the .500 to .625 range on win %. Only one of those (Lou) is above .600.
VT are the kings of cancelling hard games when they have an advantage. They gladly dropped the ND games but there's no way they cancel the BC series.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
VA TECH being good at baseball is really REALLY irritating.

A regional in Blacksburg is an abomination.

I also dislike the VT attitude; I think they will most likely chokie. But right now they are playing really good and complete baseball. This article highlights the defense.

Good defense makes the pitchers ERA a lot better too. I think that is part of our problem, but only a part since the D can't prevent walks and HRs. Anyway, here's to hoping UVa wins the next two! Looking back, our sweep of them looks even better even if an antique.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Ga Tech has played 5 weekend series v top 20 RPI teams. Here is how that went:
#3 UGA 2-1
#5 Va Tech 3-0
#11 FSU 2-1
#16 Miami 2-1
#20 UVA 1-2

Weird note: Clemson (6-14 in ACC) is a top 30 RPI team & has a snowball's chance of making ACC Tournament.
I don't see how a team with a conference record that far below .500 realistically makes the post season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's something else that is psychotic. Look at thow the top 25 did this week.

https://d1baseball.com/top-stories/how-the-top-25-fared-week-11-2/

Yeah, we held our ground at 2-2. Miami 1-3 (we knew that) but look at all the other face plants. We have an 11 RPI tonight. So maybe we will get into the Top 25 by process of elimination.

Ga Tech has played 5 weekend series v top 20 RPI teams. Here is how that went:
#3 UGA 2-1
#5 Va Tech 3-0
#11 FSU 2-1
#16 Miami 2-1
#20 UVA 1-2

Weird note: Clemson (6-14 in ACC) is a top 30 RPI team & has a snowball's chance of making ACC Tournament.

We have to keep them down too. Hard to be optimistic after our performance today, but we did good 2 of 3 this weekend. Better than 1 of three good performances the previous weekends.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, we held our ground at 2-2. Miami 1-3 (we knew that) but look at all the other face plants. We have an 11 RPI tonight. So maybe we will get into the Top 25 by process of elimination.

We have to keep them down too. Hard to be optimistic after our performance today, but we did good 2 of 3 this weekend. Better than 1 of three good performances the previous weekends.
We won the series. Would have loved the sweep today, but we won 2/3. Keep winning 2/3 and we'll be looking good.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Yup, we are #21 according to D1. uGag below us where they belong. Miami fell from 3 to 6. 7 ACC teams in the top 25.

1651487512019.png

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Yup, we are #21 according to D1. uGag below us where they belong. Miami fell from 3 to 6. 7 ACC teams in the top 25.

View attachment 12400

I am "too close" to have an accurrate perspective I guess, but I just cannot believe we are the 21st best team in the country with ONE (1) reliable starting pitcher (and that one reliable starter has deemed reliable by virtue of two starts). Not that my perspective matters much to anyone but me.

Maybe based on potential future results we should be 21 (or higher), but not based on consistent on field results. I do acknowledge we have beaten some highly ranked teams and I do hope that the pitching and defense continues to improve and we go a long way.

Maybe I am just jaded because I was there in person on Sunday and what I witnessed was disappointing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am "too close" to have an accurrate perspective I guess, but I just cannot believe we are the 21st best team in the country with ONE (1) reliable starting pitcher (and that one reliable starter has deemed reliable by virtue of two starts). Not that my perspective matters much to anyone but me.

Maybe based on potential future results we should be 21 (or higher), but not based on consistent on field results. I do acknowledge we have beaten some highly ranked teams and I do hope that the pitching and defense continues to improve and we go a long way.

Maybe I am just jaded because I was there in person on Sunday and what I witnessed was disappointing.

I am biased too and don't know as much about other teams to know where we are relative to the ~290 other D1 teams. No one probably does when so many "top 25" teams face plant in a given week. But then again, maybe this is the parity from the extra COVID year and transfers. I dunno. I went to the UVa series and left in the second game very discouraged about the quality of our pitching and defense. But that happens to all teams. Just more painful for us since we see it up close.

Here's what D1 Aaron Fitt said today:
1651521010439.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am biased too and don't know as much about other teams to know where we are relative to the ~290 other D1 teams. No one probably does when so many "top 25" teams face plant in a given week. But then again, maybe this is the parity from the extra COVID year and transfers. I dunno. I went to the UVa series and left in the second game very discouraged about the quality of our pitching and defense. But that happens to all teams. Just more painful for us since we see it up close.

Here's what D1 Aaron Fitt said today:
View attachment 12401
Fitt is reaching. 16-14 is .533 & that's 7th in the ACC (right now based on winning %).

How many ACC teams does he expect to host? 5? No chance.

Both division winners will host ... plus maybe 2 more Coastal teams. Need to get past UVA or VT. Not likely.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fitt is reaching. 16-14 is .533 & that's 7th in the ACC (right now based on winning %).

How many ACC teams does he expect to host? 5? No chance.

Both division winners will host ... plus maybe 2 more Coastal teams. Need to get past UVA or VT. Not likely.

I think Fitt is reflecting that (right or wrong) the selection committee very heavily weighs RPI. Winning record in conference is considered but not so much conference record. Again, that's the way the committee seems to do it, right or wrong.

Here's the RPI as of right now. We are 17 (we were 11 this morning, wish I had taken a picture). In any event we are the fifth highest RPI ACC team. We'd have to get above 16 which we could do with 4-2 to go ACC and win the mid-weeks.

In RPI we are already past UVa. At least we lost the series 1-2 @ UVa. If it had been @GT, there would be more damage. Still two ACC weekends for most teams, a lot of psychotic baseball to go.

Likely? Depends. May in money month for NCAA seeding. All we have to do is win. (So just need to pitch better and play D better and keep up the O, no problem.)

1651532299437.png

GT33

Helluva Engineer
There's always the old screw the ACC card along with the big trump card: screw GT

If we don't screw ourselves by losing more ACC games than we win, there are those screw cards yet to be played so we still got time. Keep the faith!