2022 ACC Baseball

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Va Tech has won 5 straight ACC games after starting 0-4. Last 3 wins on road at ND(1) at UNC(2).
Screenshot_20220403-090926_Chrome.jpg

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
4 out of 10 ACC series in...

2 home 2 road.

5-7

Giving up waaaaay too many runs.

Fix that going forward & it's a different season. How/If we fix it? [Shaking my head... with fingers crossed]

My only hope is that with the freshmen, they wil continue to get better as this (and future) seasons go on and they learn how to pitch at the collegiate level. For the guys that have been here two or three years and are still consistently inconsistent, well …

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
4 out of 10 ACC series in...

2 home 2 road.

5-7

Giving up waaaaay too many runs.

Fix that going forward & it's a different season. How/If we fix it? [Shaking my head... with fingers crossed]
Well, we don't give up a 7 run inning in game 2 against UVA, we win 9-6.

We don't give up a 10 run inning in game 3, we win 9-8, if my math is correct.

How to fix giving up those runs: don't walk 9 hitters in 3 2/3 innings of baseball. THROW STRIKES!!!!!!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Had to note that Thursday 4/14 baseball led to 3 of 4 "upsets". It's baseball.

Listening to the D1 PodCast, only Aaron Fitt picked VT and FSU to win the series. Those series aren't over yet, but still.

Our only mention was that we had a great offense. Other ACC teams got higher and more in depth praise.
1650018839214.png

Oh yeah, I'm not worried about how other ACC teams do in conference, only us getting above 500. Want the ACC to win every OOC game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All three of those upsets were clinched series today. Duke over the Irish, Hokies over Miami, and FSU over Lville.

The ACC eats its stars. All 4 top ranked ACC teams lost. Including UVa lost at Pitt. NC State is going to be ranked soon.

How "boring" a 1-0 Clemson win is compared to our caveman bludgeoning contest of 15-12.

1650104776092.png

Last edited:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Clemson & Wake total of 1 run on Friday. And 21 on Saturday.

Great news that ND got swept. UVa came back to beat Pitt 18-0.

Ever notice the distribution of scores is not normal? It's baseball, just seems wackier this year than usual.

View attachment 12331
It seems like there have been a lot more runs scored overall this year. I don't know what it is, but there have been some crazy scores. Texas A&M beat ugag 23-9 yesterday.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Rolled and modified illegal bats...not conjecture it’s fact…not saying they can’t swing it but they juice their bats
If that is a fact, and I'm not questioning the veracity, how are they getting away with it. I would think the traditional SEC baseball powerhouses would have the league office, the police and the FBI on the case by now. Particularly Vanderbilt who has had all the power in the state for the past decade.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If that is a fact, and I'm not questioning the veracity, how are they getting away with it. I would think the traditional SEC baseball powerhouses would have the league office, the police and the FBI on the case by now. Particularly Vanderbilt who has had all the power in the state for the past decade.
most interesting part was the post game bat testing revealed the bat‘s psi was significantly below standard making the bat in fact lighter.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
most interesting part was the post game bat testing revealed the bat‘s psi was significantly below standard making the bat in fact lighter.
Thanks for the detail. If I were an opponent of Tennessee I would be checking the bat for every single batter. While it is possible for a team like Tennessee to have vast improvement year to year, the massive improvement they have shown smells a bit fishy to me.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree. Very interesting. I sort of went the other way in my reaction. Typical kind of NCAA crap, right? There are rules. The NCAA "hopes" the teams will play by them and when there is evidence that might not be happening, the NCAA is not prepared to work to fix it and clean it up.

Whenever something like this is going on... and assuming Tennessee is guilty of blatantly cheating (as that article implies), then you can bet there are a BUNCH of other teams doing the same or similar things. Teams 'get away with' breaking rules because of the slow drip drip of them and other 'testing' the rules without repercussions.

[fingers crossed my team is clean]

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree. Very interesting. I sort of went the other way in my reaction. Typical kind of NCAA crap, right? There are rules. The NCAA "hopes" the teams will play by them and when there is evidence that might not be happening, the NCAA is not prepared to work to fix it and clean it up.

Whenever something like this is going on... and assuming Tennessee is guilty of blatantly cheating (as that article implies), then you can bet there are a BUNCH of other teams doing the same or similar things. Teams 'get away with' breaking rules because of the slow drip drip of them and other 'testing' the rules without repercussions.

[fingers crossed my team is clean]
Since the bat incident with Vandy in the past 12 games they have averaged 6.5 runs per game. As a comparison, the 12 games prior to that (against fairly similar competition) they averaged 9.75 runs per game. They also have experienced 2 of their losses, including one to Tn Tech, in the last 12 games. Prior to that they had only lost one game all year. Coincidence???