2022-23 Season

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Me ... just waiting for baseball games that matter.
Bored Cabin Fever GIF

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The "market" is in a state of big change right now. Ultimately... the market will dictate how this plays out.

All of the points @eokerholm makes is great insight. It's GTs job to figure out the market & get ahead of the competition. I hoped they're equipped to do that. I think facilities, Atlanta, & program rep are a "net" help in that regard.

I'd love for someone to solve the attendance conundrum. I have a "feeling" Atlanta (& midtown) makes it hard to get fans to attend. At GT...the "college baseball product" (in a vacuum) is awesome... as good as all those SEC teams who kill wrt attendance. I think GT baseball simply has been unable to fire up fans otherwise unaffiliated with GT (ie alums). Not sure why. Most likely it's what was previously mentioned. Too many other (pro) baseball options & other pro teams in town.
Also... for 25% of the season... it's usually too cold for baseball. Once it gets warm enough, Gwinnett & Braves are playing.

What do others think?
I'll also say that GT has a sour reputation for not going anywhere in the post-season, while those other teams have all had dramatic post-season success in recent years. Those post-season runs generate media coverage, ESPN, and fan excitement (witness Braves attendance this year after their WS win last year). GT desperately needs a nice deep run one year to help rebuild casual fan enthusiasm.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll also say that GT has a sour reputation for not going anywhere in the post-season, while those other teams have all had dramatic post-season success in recent years. Those post-season runs generate media coverage, ESPN, and fan excitement (witness Braves attendance this year after their WS win last year). GT desperately needs a nice deep run one year to help rebuild casual fan enthusiasm.

Agree with the fan excitement aspect. I know it would help with my excitement.

As far as players, I think the success of getting players drafted is a net help and a large part of our recruiting success.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'd love for someone to do some analysis on my "hunch".... that Ga Tech's geographic location combined with how the NCAA uses proximity as one factor in setting the 4 team regional field, creates a more challenging post-season for Ga Tech than the average (over time). It seems we have to get through 2 (min) quality SEC teams every season. [loser talk, I know]

To compare... UVA is juuuuust far enough north to end up avoiding facing "warm weather" competition in post season. They are typically looking at B1G teams.

Just a hunch. Baseball is fickle & it takes breaks to go your way to win in post season. Over the years, we seem to be on short end of the breaks thing... that includes who we must face.

Not looking for excuses... the results are what they are.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Year after year we play well enough to be a #2 seed but not well enough to be a #1. But what amazes me is it seems more often than not the team with the #1 seed in our region just happens to be #1 in the nation. Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Florida all were top seeds. It sure would be nice to be sent to a region where the top seed in our region is closer to the 16 seed than the top seed. I'm sure the team wouldn't mind going out west. Then the times we did get to host a region we ALWAYS get a ranked team from the SEC in our region while I watch the Carolina teams end up in regions with mid majors as their opponents.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Year after year we play well enough to be a #2 seed but not well enough to be a #1. But what amazes me is it seems more often than not the team with the #1 seed in our region just happens to be #1 in the nation. Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Florida all were top seeds. It sure would be nice to be sent to a region where the top seed in our region is closer to the 16 seed than the top seed. I'm sure the team wouldn't mind going out west. Then the times we did get to host a region we ALWAYS get a ranked team from the SEC in our region while I watch the Carolina teams end up in regions with mid majors as their opponents.
Simply earn a Top 16 seed and beat the SEC team. Hopefully Ramsey and Borrell can get us over the hump. Regardless, we're going to have to beat some top and/or hot teams along the way.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We’re literally surrounded on all sides by SEC country. If we host a regional, we will always have an SEC team in with us. About the only way Tech could ever play in a regional without an SEC team would be to be #3 seed in a Big 12/PAC 12/B1G regional. I guess there’s a chance we could maybe one day be a #2 seed in a mid-major’s regional if somebody like Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina, Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, etc. was hosting. But I don’t think we’ve ever gotten a draw like that. We’re pretty much permanently attached to the SEC.

So many opportunities squandered over the last couple decades. In an alternate timeline, GT baseball blows up into the national powerhouse that Vandy has become. Vandy took advantage of their postseason runs, while Tech has not…

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Football, but comical and thought you'd enjoy!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Attachments

• THWG.jpeg
    THWG.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 41
  • GT Walmart.jpeg
    GT Walmart.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 42

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Simply earn a Top 16 seed and beat the SEC team. Hopefully Ramsey and Borrell can get us over the hump. Regardless, we're going to have to beat some top and/or hot teams along the way.
Ramsey, yes. Borrell, no - he’s been an absolute flop with the pitching staff so far. Pretty much every pitcher regressed last season.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck

I find it interesting that the right fielders are catching more fly outs than left fielders. Does it mean there are more left handed hitters now? Or that batters are going the other way more than in the past? Or that pitching is stronger and batters are making contact late resulting in weak fly balls to the opposite field? My guess is that batters are being taught to make solid contact up the middle. You don't see as many dead pull hitters anymore as coaches prefer batting average over the home run hitters with low on base percentage.