2022-23 Season

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely the field, view and facilities are TOP NOTCH and a national draw.
That field is by far the BEST GRASS FIELD and View in College Baseball.
You can't beat the GT education and national recognition, reputation and incredible opportunity for a student athlete either.

Last edited:

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think there are a variety of reasons we do not draw consistently big crowds. Many of which have been mentioned by some of you folks. There is a lot of competition from professional sports in the surrounding area no doubt. I think (and I said “I”) that Atlanta is not a huge city for sports. It‘s an eclectic inner city that is dominated by corporate life and progressive pop culture and the arts. Not such a good canvass for a game that many see as boring And a remnant of older America. Further, I believe the economy and the travel into midtown have further caused issues for attendance. Lastly, I’m sure people are concerned with crime and violence. I have never seen it anywhere close to Russ Chandler, but the stigma definitely surrounds the city as a whole. I had a high level recruit’s father tell me “I can never send my son to school in the middle of Atlanta.” His son is now attending a different ACC school. Conversely, baseball in places like “Rocky Top” or “Blacksburg” for example, are literally the only show in town. In those types of places, many of the crowds are people from the local community. I realize that I may have some unpopular views, but nonetheless I appreciate the varying viewpoints.….

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
What do we hope the new AD does for Beesball?

Probably let Teixeira run the show? He has far bigger problem elsewhere. In the two money sports.. ( I like Pastner and think / hope for better results this year.). (For us, just making the NCAAs will be good with the pitching inexperience.)
As far as the program itself goes it’s fine how it is. Just don’t come in and try to limit funding from the successful programs and try to funnel it to football and basketball to kickstart their processes. I think he’ll probably need to hire a new baseball HC soon (maybe after this upcoming season), and the easy choice is Ramsey, but there will probably be other candidates too. I’m sure Ramsey wanted the FSU job after last season, but they went and got Link Jarrett who did a fantastic job at Notre Dame. A situation like that may arise at Tech this year, and I don’t want to just hand the keys to Ramsey just because he’s at the door.

As far as everything else is concerned, the new team facilities are incredible. Top notch not only in the state, but in the conference, the southeast region, and the country. The only real improvements I think we can make to enhance the overall experience would be to renovate the press box are and the stands behind home plate. They look pretty dated, especially when you look around at similar sized stadiums throughout the ACC and SEC. And the first base side of the stadium needs to be redone at some point to make it look better on TV. The additions down left field line look great, so we need something to match that on the other side of the field. The mostly empty metal bleachers with just open concrete and a look at Ferst St isn’t very pleasing to the eye. If that is going to be where the student tickets are mainly located, they should make it a little more special for them. Put a beer stand over there, a covered patio/picnic area. Hell turn that whole concrete lot into a beer garden. It would look cool and actually be of use.

Maybe some more simple additions to the stadium like upgrading the lighting to LED, putting some ribbon LED boards on the (hopefully new and improved) press box area and on the Champions hall building.

Other than that I’m not sure there’s much else to do. The actual playing surface is great, the team’s facilities are great, the backdrop of the stadium is great. Mostly just some fan amenities stuff and upgrading the stadium to more closely fit the upgrades and additions going on at other large schools across the country.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree with this. Baseball is in a good situation.

I more favor Ramsey since he's a known quantity, has recruited very well and coached his area (batting) as the best strength on the team. I think that Ramsey with his energy would pick up energy in the club. But there may be someone better out there. It's just a risk that it would fail and I / we have Collins induced PTSD. Ramsey is the "safe" choice and I don't see any AD taking an unnecessary risk at this point.

But what do we do to get more butts in the seats? I like the idea of a bigger beer garden, but beer is available already (at typical stadium prices) so while it would be nice, I don't know it would increase attendance. I plan to get season tickets again and give away what I don't use. Last year I went to two games and gave away one. Not much interest even for free tickets.

Making the game shorter will help all of college baseball I think, but that's not just us.

But is it a good idea to buy tickets that show up empty on TV? Before I last year I would just contribute to the Grand Slam club. And I'll continue to contribute to baseball, just don't know exactly how.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree with this. Baseball is in a good situation.

I more favor Ramsey since he's a known quantity, has recruited very well and coached his area (batting) as the best strength on the team. I think that Ramsey with his energy would pick up energy in the club. But there may be someone better out there. It's just a risk that it would fail and I / we have Collins induced PTSD. Ramsey is the "safe" choice and I don't see any AD taking an unnecessary risk at this point.

But what do we do to get more butts in the seats? I like the idea of a bigger beer garden, but beer is available already (at typical stadium prices) so while it would be nice, I don't know it would increase attendance. I plan to get season tickets again and give away what I don't use. Last year I went to two games and gave away one. Not much interest even for free tickets.

Making the game shorter will help all of college baseball I think, but that's not just us.

But is it a good idea to buy tickets that show up empty on TV? Before I last year I would just contribute to the Grand Slam club. And I'll continue to contribute to baseball, just don't know exactly how.
The easiest place to look for more attendance is to the students. They are already there, they aren't concerned with parking, crime, or a commute. First, make it free if it isn't already. Second, make it fashionable to be seen there (not sure how you do that in this time, but do whatever it takes). Third, make it visible. I know times have changed from my time at Tech, but the opportunity to walk away from the library or wherever I was and forget about school for a a couple of hours was very appealing. Maybe offer free food for students?? SWAG to the first 150 students?

Create (something like) a "Left Field Lounge" at Mississippi State. Make it a social event, not (just) a baseball game.

I am not sure how you get more sidewalk fans involved? I think others have come up with a lot of valid reasons why it is difficult to get people midtown and thereabouts in the seats. Baseball, overall, is declining in popularity. There are so many other attractions as well. Maybe reach out (if we are not already) to local little league organizations and give them incentives to show up. I see them there on a small level, but suspect that it is just GT alumni Dad's and coaches that are driving it, not GT itself. If we can get people to come once, hopefully they will enjoy the experience and want to return.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The easiest place to look for more attendance is to the students. They are already there, they aren't concerned with parking, crime, or a commute. First, make it free if it isn't already. Second, make it fashionable to be seen there (not sure how you do that in this time, but do whatever it takes). Third, make it visible. I know times have changed from my time at Tech, but the opportunity to walk away from the library or wherever I was and forget about school for a a couple of hours was very appealing. Maybe offer free food for students?? SWAG to the first 150 students?

Create (something like) a "Left Field Lounge" at Mississippi State. Make it a social event, not (just) a baseball game.

I am not sure how you get more sidewalk fans involved? I think others have come up with a lot of valid reasons why it is difficult to get people midtown and thereabouts in the seats. Baseball, overall, is declining in popularity. There are so many other attractions as well. Maybe reach out (if we are not already) to local little league organizations and give them incentives to show up. I see them there on a small level, but suspect that it is just GT alumni Dad's and coaches that are driving it, not GT itself. If we can get people to come once, hopefully they will enjoy the experience and want to return.
That’s why I want them to turn the right field line area into a beer garden/party area, and focus mainly on getting students out there. Free student admission and $2 beers or something. On Friday and Saturday nights they can pregame at the baseball game instead of the frat houses or their apartments. Most baseball stadiums have areas where the game is just something going on in the background, and the real reason to attend is for the party. We have a pretty good baseball team and play some note worthy opponents (UGA, Miami, Clemson, FSU, UNC) so there would be some notoriety in going to the games.

Mississippi State’s left field lounge, Ole Miss’ right field student section, UGA’s Kudzu Hill, Arkansas’ outfield sections. Clemson has a really good tailgate/party scene surrounding their baseball games. When Miami is good their parking deck behind the right field wall fills up with people partying. Virginia Tech built their new stadium with students partying in mind, and when they were good this year and hosted the regional/super they showed out. VT’s stadium only has like 2,000 seats but like 6,000 people showed up to their postseason games because their stadium allows it and encourages it. Most minor league and MLB stadiums have party decks and sections where nobody even watched the game. They just show up and drink for a couple hours, and if the game/team is good they’ll watch.

But those are the things you have to do to attract fans, and if you play good while those fans are there they’ll keep coming back. One of the few places on campus we already have ample space to do something like that, it should be a no brainer. Put some cornhole boards over there, some shade, upgrade/build new concessions and restrooms on that side of the field and you’re in business. An investment of a couple hundred thousand dollars could pay huge dividends in the long term.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
They mentioned the right field area and the pines. In the past the frats used to watch and cheer fro their roofs. Something fun right field would be great.

Improved bathroom facilities wouldn’t suck either. The Stadium is way too nice and polished to have bathrooms that look like that.

Fingers crossed for Ramsey! He’s a beast and really really the best!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That’s why I want them to turn the right field line area into a beer garden/party area, and focus mainly on getting students out there. Free student admission and $2 beers or something. On Friday and Saturday nights they can pregame at the baseball game instead of the frat houses or their apartments. Most baseball stadiums have areas where the game is just something going on in the background, and the real reason to attend is for the party. We have a pretty good baseball team and play some note worthy opponents (UGA, Miami, Clemson, FSU, UNC) so there would be some notoriety in going to the games.

Mississippi State’s left field lounge, Ole Miss’ right field student section, UGA’s Kudzu Hill, Arkansas’ outfield sections. Clemson has a really good tailgate/party scene surrounding their baseball games. When Miami is good their parking deck behind the right field wall fills up with people partying. Virginia Tech built their new stadium with students partying in mind, and when they were good this year and hosted the regional/super they showed out. VT’s stadium only has like 2,000 seats but like 6,000 people showed up to their postseason games because their stadium allows it and encourages it. Most minor league and MLB stadiums have party decks and sections where nobody even watched the game. They just show up and drink for a couple hours, and if the game/team is good they’ll watch.

But those are the things you have to do to attract fans, and if you play good while those fans are there they’ll keep coming back. One of the few places on campus we already have ample space to do something like that, it should be a no brainer. Put some cornhole boards over there, some shade, upgrade/build new concessions and restrooms on that side of the field and you’re in business. An investment of a couple hundred thousand dollars could pay huge dividends in the long term.

I heard and it looks like students get in free with their BuzzCard. https://ramblinwreck.com/student-tickets/

The legal drinking age is generally 21. So most students can't legally drink beer. Now come to school in Virginia and it's a more enlightened region (like Ga was when I went to GT) ;) (You can die for your country at 18 but can't drink till 21. Right.) (Sort of sorry for the rant). But note even in Mississippi the legal age is 21. South Carolina and North Carolina allow students over 17 to drink beer and wine, no wonder they have an advantage.
1664223838730.png

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
They mentioned the right field area and the pines. In the past the frats used to watch and cheer fro their roofs. Something fun right field would be great.

Improved bathroom facilities wouldn’t suck either. The Stadium is way too nice and polished to have bathrooms that look like that.

Fingers crossed for Ramsey! He’s a beast and really really the best!
I loved climbing up on the old stone wall, drinking a few beers, and heckling the RF

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From D1 Ranking backwards from top 100....

View attachment 13180

I wish it were better but respect these guys since they know A LOT more about all of the other teams. 36th makes NCAAs most year's with a winning ACC record.

We show out in pitching and we'll do better. Pitch like last year and we'll probably not do as well.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
I wish it were better but respect these guys since they know A LOT more about all of the other teams. 36th makes NCAAs most year's with a winning ACC record.

We show out in pitching and we'll do better. Pitch like last year and we'll probably not do as well.
Pitching as always been our Achilles heal. Still hoping Borrell can put it together.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
the "no props" outside the dugout makes sense if you look at VT and their HR celebration with the sledge hammer. It jacks up the grass fields when they do that.
A&M did the Pringles on the steps of the dugout. As long as the celebration isn't destructive, I don't see or have a problem.
The VT one annoyed me. Especially for as manicured as the GT field is....
Also the UT celebrations…l

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
MiLB schedules are out. Both Durham & Charlotte venues are available for the week of the ACC Tournament. Gwinnett is not.

Duke's schedule has Charlotte as ACCT location. I believe that's premature (or carry over from last year's schedule). As far as I know... no official announcement has come out of ACC for location of the 2023 tournament.