2021 Uniform Debate

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The best uniforms we've ever worn were the gold uniforms for the 2019 Spring game. We haven't worn them since to my knowledge. Wear those every home game for the next decade, win a couple ACC championships in them, and they'll be iconic. And get everyone in the crowd to wear that same shade of gold like Tennessee and Clemson and Alabama seemed to figure out how to do. Why can't gold be our Texas burnt orange?
You want to start trouble? Go on gator bait and post the gators should drop wearing the orange helmets and white pants with the blue tops for a all blue look.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
The best uniforms we've ever worn were the gold uniforms for the 2019 Spring game. We haven't worn them since to my knowledge. Wear those every home game for the next decade, win a couple ACC championships in them, and they'll be iconic. And get everyone in the crowd to wear that same shade of gold like Tennessee and Clemson and Alabama seemed to figure out how to do. Why can't gold be our Texas burnt orange?

Comments like these remind me that sometimes I'm just completely speaking a different language as someone else, at least as far as uniform preferences go, and our tastes are miles apart.

Spring Game 2019
Spring game unis.JPG

Week 1 2019
Week 1 GWG Unis.JPG

To me, it seems objectively true that the GWG in week 1 is probably our best uni combo but that's just my opinion and others have theirs. So therefore I guess it's clearly only subjectively true.

Though there was a bit of a poll on unis through the season and well....unsurprisingly the GWG unis won.

https://ramblinwreck.com/football-uni-combo-final/

In general for uniform stuff I'd like to see a little more uniformity (hey) and set a standard home uniform, a standard away uniform, and have 4ish games a year where they mix it up with blue/black/gray/whiteout/whatever

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I like the current all white, super hero blue, and throwback black. Most of you who complain about uniforms are bored with losing.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, Nike hasn’t quite figured out Texas’ or Tennessee’s oranges yet, so it’s not like we are the only school that is having trouble with their apparel provider.

Vols fans react to new Nike, Tennessee collaboration that's the 'wrong UT orange'

Not so burnt orange? Longhorn fans throwing shade over shade of new uniforms
Sometimes I struggle with if our fan base is too much of purest or clinging to the past but seeing these examples, those are bad. Legitimately those are not the right orange. I wish our gold was a bit better but if the school says this is our gold, then that’s the “right” gold I guess.

chicoGT

Georgia Tech Fan
Is it funny to anyone else that a www link is required for proof of accuracy 😝. Tex Schram did indeed reference the GWG uni as his inspiration for cowboys. We can argue iconic, but there is no question that Tech’s white shirt at home was a well known (almost unique) signature. The distinction that Tech and LSU were the only two teams to wear white at home was mentioned on any Tech or LSU home game broadcast and well known beyond Tech fan base. I understand that the unis are targeted for the kids, but I hate the loss of that unique differentiator.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Week 1, 2019 uniforms are for me what GT football is. Throw in a few (2-3) variants for “new swag magic” plus one or two custom uniforms a season for special interests (veterans or CHOA)
I like the week one uniforms too but the picture above from the spring game was just awful but Lotta Juice liked them. Different strokes for different folks. No matter what they wear, someone is going to *****. It is the nature of the beast.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Home standard - GWG, gold numerals (ex. current uni)
Home alternate 1 - WWW, gold numerals (ex. current uni) - once/year whiteout
Home alternate 2 - WGW, white numerals (ex. 2000 Gator Bowl template) once/year
Home alternate - GBW, white numerals (ex. 2006 ACCCG template) once/year

Away standard - GWW, gold numerals
Away alternate - WWG, gold numerals
Away alternate - GWG, gold numerals (home uni)

Burn: blue pants, blue numbers

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

I almost agree here...but am I the only one who doesn't like the color burn uniforms?

GWW or GBB or WGG just don't do it for me.

Give me GWG, WGW, GGW, and the occasional GBW (throwback to my memory of watching GT beat up on Nebraska from the 50 yard line) any day. The rest just aren't my favorites.

Baker99

Georgia Tech Fan

My problem with this is how do you set the standard. 4 home uniforms but you wear 1 three times. They need to stick with one uniform for a year or 2 to set the standard. Once set add in an alternative uniform once or twice a year. It felt there was a different uniform every week this past season.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
My problem with this is how do you set the standard. 4 home uniforms but you wear 1 three times. They need to stick with one uniform for a year or 2 to set the standard. Once set add in an alternative uniform once or twice a year. It felt there was a different uniform every week this past season.
Because there was.... and that’s the point.

UGA wore 4 different uniforms in 11 games

Florida wore 9 different uniforms in 12 games

Oregon wore 7 different uniforms in 7 games

UNC wore 9 different uniforms in 12 games

Miami wore 6 different uniforms in 11 games

It literally does not matter how many uniforms you wear. Those 5 teams combined to wear 35 unique uniforms in 52 games. They went 36-16 with 2 conference championship game appearances, and 4 of the 5 played in NY6 games.

Who cares what the “standard” uniform is. Tech’s “standard” is G/W/G at home and on the road. We’re going to continue to wear that uni at least twice every year. It’s been worn 5 times in the 22 games Collins had been HC. That’s almost 1/4 of the time. But Tech has also worn numerous different combinations as both “primary” sets and alternates through years that will continue to be worn. Just think about the “primary” combinations that have been worn: G/G/W, G/B/W, G/B/G. Then you have alternate combinations: W/G/W, G/W/W, W/W/G, W/W/W, plus anything with blue pants. That’s 7 different combinations if you just count what has already been worn multiple times for decades as both a primary and/or an alternate. The blue pants and one-off specialty uniforms will continue to be seen, so it shouldn’t really be a surprise that so many different uniforms are being worn and will continue to be worn.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I pretty much like most of the uniforms Tech wears except for two. The WWW looks too soft. Football uniforms are supposed to be work cloths, but those look like we're going to play tennis. The second uniform is the white jerseys with blue pants. That combination makes the linemen look like they got chicken legs. IMHO.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It only matters if you also want a healthy merchandising program. Which we don’t.
Uniforms are also pretty irrelevant for merchandising as well. The size of your fan base and the success of your program are both way more important when it comes to merchandising. Look at those schools on the list. Does Oregon have trouble selling fan gear? What about Miami? UNC or Florida? No they don’t. Because those are programs that are having success, while also having large fan bases. Texas A&M wore numerous uniform combinations every year up until 2020 when they changed up their look. I don’t think they had any trouble with merchandising.